Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eureka!!!!!

Thumbs up Eureka!!!!!

Man I LOVE that place! It is easily my most favorite place to ride. HouseHold 6 and I met some friends in Eagle River and drove to Eureka. We got there about 1100 and set up. The weather was kinda "sucky" friday so we only made it to Monument since the other people had never been to Eureka before. We headed back to the parking area sparked a fire and had some cheesy brats and a few beers. We ran into AKMuddy and some of his friends Friday also. It rained Friday night. Muddy stopped by while we were having breakfast and got a good 1 1/2 hour start on us. After B-fast we took off and hit the trail. I had never been down Crooked Creek Trail so at four corners, that's where we went. Basically did the loop back to Monument then back to the parking lot. That loop is longer than I thought. It took us roughly 7 hours. Plus having a couple novice riders kinda slowed things down a bit also. It seemed everytime I stopped to let them catch up they wanted to smoke a cigarette or take a pee break. The mud wasn't impassable. In fact it wasn't bad at all. the Lil Nell on the other hand was UP. I was wishing I had a snorkle today. I didn't sink it, but it was close once. A man and woman followed us from 4 corners to the little Nell on an Arctic Cat side by side with a trailer then took off towards the horse pasture. Anyway, we all had a great time. I can't wait till the AODD ride. Here are some pictures and a few videos.

http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...12%20Jul%2008/
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Just got home from Eureka...man am I beat!!! We had a great weekend. It was our first time up there but it will not be our last. Camping in the gravel pits was great. We camped at the pit on the right after the trail-head. It gave us a little more riding room for the kids. I took the trail to the little Nel at "four corners". I plan on taking another trail next time to explore the area some more. The whole group had a great time even though I had to pull my buddy out of the "lake" sized water hole he submerged his Grizzly 660 in. I finally got the Rhino 660 stuck!!!! Some 4x4 trucks really thrashed a muddy (pardon the pun) hillside, uphill from the little Nel. We hit it and soon realized the mud was about 24" deep with ruts everywhere to high center on. I got my buddy to pull me backward out of the mud so I could take another try at it. The second time I was more successful!!!

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660
    2007 Yamaha Grizzly 700 SE w/EPS
    http://www.grizzlycentral.com/

More...

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

That looks like it was a fun trip. Eureka is always a blast.

BigH, it's been a year or two since I've snorkeled a machine but if you need help give me a holler.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHinER View Post
    I was wishing I had a snorkel today. I didn't sink it, but it was close once.
    http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...12%20Jul%2008/
    This is what to do if you don't have a snorkel...I did this just after I pulled my buddy out with my Rhino. We were waiting for the water to drain out of his Grizzly!

2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Hey Big H, where is your eureka trip report with pictures?

I just got back home. Can a guy catch a break? My arms are SORE. I can barely type. OK so here goes. Drove up Saturday morning and met up with sr12345 and his son. I had a guy from work with me. We waited on AKDSLDOG but he had truck problems so we headed out anyway. It was a good trip all the way to monument and to the Lil Nell. It is still UP and fast moving. We headed down the bank towards flat creek and was able to get out in the braids to try and cross. My PoPo seems to have a kinked seal or something on the belt housing because it really takes on water when it's moving fast. Well, I headed across and about half way, the belt was wet so I stopped moving....across that is. Now I'm starting to move downstream, trying to keep it from flipping, gave up on trying to keep water outta my waders and hook up and winch which sr12345 pulled me out with. No water in the intake, luckily. Pulled the plug and it was dry. Well, as I was changing clothes, 3 wheelers with 4 people pulled up. I told them " It's pretty high and pretty fast." The guy just smiled and seemed to blow me off. He and his passenger went in and half way across the front of their wheeler went down then up and the current caught them. They mad it across though. Their other two friends weren't so lucky. 1 almost made it, the other failed miserably rolling his wheeler over and losing it in the current. I've never seen four tires bobbing up and down in the water before. It was pretty exciting. The poor guy was drenched from head to toe. They finally caught his wheeler and pulled it onto shore. After I changed and my wheeler belt was drained and dried we took off back for monument. The other group looked like they were getting the "wet" wheeler running so we left. sr12345 and my buddy said the people were actually deaf, so that's why it seemed they blew me off. Anyway, we got back to four corners and went down the trail that goes back to the Eureka lodge. HOLY MUD!!!!!!!! That trail was a blast A.K.A. The Highway to HELL. We spent a good 1 1/2 to 2 hours trying to get through the mud. Black, stinky, thick, boggy yucky stuff. My wheeler hasn't been that muddy in a long time. We made it back to the Lodge and back to the parking lot. We just camped there since we couldn't get across the Nell. I finally got ahold of AKDSLDOG and he came out and we went again today.

We did get across today even though it seemed the Nell was higher than yesterday. We just took a different route. We went almost to Tyone Creek. The last hill before you actually get there. We took a break and headed back because Jack was getting tired. We played in the mud along the way back and finally got back to the gravel pit about 1500. I gotta get that seal checked out. It's never taken on that much water before. I mean it was pouring out like a water hose. Anyway, the Lil Nell is still up. It's still my favorite place. The weather was really great today. Sun shining and dry. Saturday was kinda wet about 2100 but it didnt matter much then. Over all it was a great trip!! When we going out? Water_Gremlin??? I only have a few pics maybe the other guys can post a few as well.

It's 10:15pm, I'm tired, got a beer buzz so you'll have to wait till tomarrow for the pics.

Had a great time today! Wish the dang truck would stop giving me fits, missed a good ride saturday from the looks of thier wheelers . Looking forward to another ride, O' P.S.........

10 MINUTES INTO THE RIDE BigHinER HAS TO GET PULLED OUT BY THE 6X6 CREW, ME!

Don't let him baffalo you with his crazy story about a belt case seal, he just couldn't plain hang! ...... Was a great day, you all put your **** fishing rods and dip nets away and come boggin with us!

My story and pics to follow!

wade, sean, email your pics! curtkris@mtaonline.net

Sounds like an exciting trip, wish I could've been there. Instead I was tracking down a monster blackie in them hills over yonder. Oh yea I was scouting for bou too.

You'll have to contact my receptionist to find if I have an opening. I'm kind of a big deal and book up quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDSLDOG View Post
    10 MINUTES INTO THE RIDE BigHinER HAS TO GET PULLED OUT BY THE 6X6 CREW, ME!
    Well, remember that one time I had to anchor you down so you wouldn't float away down the stream in the braids????

It's when reviewing the photos and trying to write up the trip report that you realize what a lousy job the pictures do in capturing all the events.

So, first of all, where were the rest of you? Through the mile 92-97 construction zone, I saw several vehicles pulling wheelers, and thought that we'd have quite a group. However, when I arrived at the parking lot Friday night, no one was there (cue the crickets sound clip here...). After starting to set up, I figured that the party must be at some other roadside pulloff, but found nothing.

Saturday morning wasn't must better. I throught we'd all agreed to a 10am departure, but it wasn't until 945 that Big H and his forum lurking buddy, dubbed "Jump Off" by my 4 year old son, arrived. Big H did a good job reporting on Saturday's adventures, so I won't bore you with my repeats. I was in my Rzr with my son, and we'd placed the cooler with some food and emergency beers down at his feet. In the highway to hell stretch, the three of up played a round-robin exercise in extracting each other, and during one of the occasions that I was in the lead (which is about as much of an honor as being the first one through a minefield), I drove through what seemed to be just another puddle, only to fall into a 2+ foot deep hole. I'm strapped in to the Rzr, with the water is almost up to my "wedding vegetables", watching our cooler float up and take a Titanic roll, taking on this skanky swamp water (muddy and smelling of rotten eggs). When I poured it out back at the campground, the stuff coming out looked with one of those iced coffee drinks! While "Jump Off" was in the Eureka roadhouse buying the celebratory "thank God we survived that trail" beers, we were in the parking lot pulling pounds and pounds of mud and grass off our front suspensions.

AKSledDog finally showed up at 10pm (well, in his defense he did say that he'd be there at 10 on Saturday...).

As soon as I can figure out how to, I'll upload my pictures.

Good report guys!!! Sounds like a lot of fun was had by all. I am headed up there this Thursday to help get the "Poker Race" route set up for the Performance Yamaha folks. The "Minister of Finance" (wifey) will be arriving after work on Friday. We will be up there all weekend.

If I can ask a question????

How was the trail condition going down the back side of Monument to the little Nel??? When I was there two weeks ago about 10 4x4 trucks thrashed the trail pretty good in one area just up from the little Nel. Nothing too bad but the race officials are trying to decide what route to run the race on and want to make things fun for the novice riders that might be running on Saturday. It's a liability issue and they just don't want to have any problems and get someone hurt.

Thanks,

Here is where I am talking about...
    2007 Yamaha Rhino 660

Sounds like a good trip It's real important that that you stay on the proper crossings (trail) when going thru the braids. It takes a few trips across to learn and remember them. I've never met the Little Nel when it wouldn't let me across. Even in real early spring when there are two foot roller waves on top. One year in Sept after an unholy amout of rain during hunting season atvs were backed up waiting for Bigrigs to come along and tow them across. Funny stuff seeing a bunch of atvs behind the Bigrigs like a bunch of little ducks, bobbing and floating in the waves behind momma duck. We made it across in the braids that time but it was iffy and we were floating and bobbing too.

Hey AKMuddy. This is just my opinion, reguardless of what anyone tells you about the conditions of the backside of monument, I would NEVER want to be legally liabel for sending any newby or expert down the backside of monument.

Quote Originally Posted by AKMuddy View Post
    ...How was the trail condition going down the back side of Monument to the little Nel??? When I was there two weeks ago about 10 4x4 trucks thrashed the trail pretty good in one area just up from the little Nel...
    The backside of Monument wasn't bad. There's about a 50 yard stretch almost down at the bottom which looks like your photo, but if you stay to the right (on the way down), it's very passable. However, if you cross the Little Nel and follow the trail for about half a mile, you'll find plenty of chewed up terrain--rough, but we made it through without getting stuck.

If you're setting up routes for the Poker Run, by all means avoid the trail between Four Corners and the Eureka Roadhouse!

Figured I better pop my cherry and get my first post out of the way so BigHinER trusts me if I ever try to sell anything.

I'm the forum troll, AKA "Jump Off."
    This was probably the best ATV trip I have been on this year. It was a blast trying to find places to cross over the Nel. Next time we head out there we are going to have to blaze some of our own trails.

Thanks for the day! I have a slide show with music done and ready to post but, you-tube is in the middle of a "maintenance upgrade" so I can't upload it yet. As soon as they are done I will upload it and post "my side of the story" along with the show.

Curt

Quote Originally Posted by Zirak View Post
    Figured I better pop my cherry and get my first post out of the way so BigHinER trusts me if I ever try to sell anything.

I'm the forum troll, AKA "Jump Off."
    This was probably the best ATV trip I have been on this year. It was a blast trying to find places to cross over the Nel. Next time we head out there we are going to have to blaze some of our own trails.
    I hate LURKERS!

mriguy

Default Speaking of Cherries...

I've yet to visit this Nirvana called Eureka. I figure it's time to pop my cherry! We'll be heading down Thursday with the camper and the Rhino, but where should I park? What's the best trail to bring mamma for a fun ride without scaring the bejesus outta her?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast