Thread: Hope Report?

Default Hope Report?

anyone hit hope this weekend looking for pinks?
    how was it?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Pinks in Hope

I was there on Saturday and we got our fish. It appears that the run is just starting. There were a few fish, but you had to know where to look. The river is higher than I have ever seen it, and the fish are finding new slow spots to hold up in. It about a week there should be fish everywhere, but right now look for any slow spots along the edges of the river.

On a related note, if you have never made pink salmon in a "salt bake" its something you should really try. In a big bowl, mix two egg whites and a cup of cold water with a five pound box of kosher salt. Put down a shallow layer of salt in the bottom of a baking pan, lay a whole pink (minus guts, head, and tail) in the baking pan and completely encase the fish in salt. Bake it at 475 for 30 minutes. When you pull it out of the oven the salt will have formed a perfect water tight shell around the fish. The fish cooks in its own oils. Let it cool down and then crack the shell off of the fish. Gently remove the salt and the skin. Scoop out the fish on to a plate and drizzle a sauce made of melted butter, lemon, and dill over it.

I swear it may be the best salmon dish you have ever eaten.

Default MVA

Geez, that's making my mouth water! How the heck did you come up with that recipe?
    I'm gonna try that once we're there! Went to Hope last year for the 1st time and had a blast even though the reds on the Kenai were going nuts; it was cool to see & do something different.
    Jim

How long does the pink salmon run last in Hope? I have two small children and was told this is the place to go to fish with younger kids...

it will be hopping for the next 10 to 14 days
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

The Hope derby should be starting soon as well.

Going to head down there next weekend with the kids before making our way to the Kasilof to dip for reds.

So little summer, so many good fishing spots.....

Went to Hope today. Had one on, but didn't get him in. Didn't see any fish, but I think it's still a bit early.

Default Hope

I was down there today as well, saw some fish but only 1 caught. When they do start coming in what is the best way to catch them?

Hope was pretty slow for this time of year this weekend. Hooked into a couple, but they were pretty far and few between. As mentioned above, the water was really high as compared to past years. We did have a black bear in the campground. But the fish were not quite there yet. We'll be back in a couple of weeks there with family. Hopefully they'll be in by that time.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Default Salt Bake

Quote Originally Posted by MVA View Post
    I swear it may be the best salmon dish you have ever eaten.
    Alright your on the hook now. I'm calling you on it. Although it sounds amazing and makes me hungry, I'm gonna have to try it.

Thanks for sharing!

Just one warning. The pan you make it in is going to look pretty rough you bake it. Just soak it for about 48 hours and all of that salt will come out.

BTW, my father-in-law and I were fishing above the bridge. We found two spots where fish were holding - one on the north side of the river and one on the south. In years past those spots were holding hundreds of fish, we found just a few. Things are definitely just starting.