Thread: Salmon Shark Info

Default Salmon Shark Info

Just out of curiousity, if I wanted to try my hand at catching a salmon shark, what would I be looking to do? More specifically I am talking about depth, bottom type, trolling or other method, etc.

Default Depth varies

Find the bait they are feeding on & get yours in proximitey & they will find you. There have been some caught while bottom fishing for halibut but these are incidentals.
    Some of the charters will troll & others jig whole pinks, or what ever bait they are eating at the time. For example when they are in the PWS ( out of Valdez) they are usually feeding on the big schools of salmon, late July mainly pinks & some silvers. Sometimes you look for the fins surfacing. Then using comm. caught pinks as bait works good, either by jig or troll. If you dont see them on the surface find them on you finder & try & get your bait around that depth, they will do the rest. Sometimes if have downriggers you can set them otherwise just like mooching salmon works just as good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would recommend an 18/0 or 20/0 circle hook rather than the j hooks. You will have higher hookup ratios and a much, much better chance of releasing a healthy shark if you: let the shark run off when it first takes the bait, engage the reel after the shark stops, and then hold on and start cranking during the next run. This system is much more reliable than guessing when to set a j hook and the hook can normally be removed from the jaw (very carefully) or the leader can be cut within a couple of inches. You don't need two hooks, I never use them, especially if I'm going to release the shark. The key is to fight the shark like any other big game fish. Constant pressure and good boat maneuvering are key. Sharks are spinners. They will roll up the leader and line and then break off and sink. Many will come in tail first as they are spun in the leader. Keeping constant pressure when you feel them spinning will help prevent this. I use heavy mono wind on leaders with just a few feet of cable behind 20 feet of doubled mainline (bimini twist, or spliced). Don't use single strand wire as it will cut deeply into the shark. If you're going to keep a shark you need to bleed, gut, and ice the fish down asap. If you bring it back to port on you're swim step without ice you probably won't eat it. For those who are really into eating sharks, it's good when properly handled. Most people think it's ok, but not something to fill a new freezer (you'll need one) with.

Keep in mind that each shark hooked, spun up, and broken off is probably dead. Do what you can to minimize this.

Default couple more thoughts

Offshore hit the technique right on, that will work for either style hook. Also it will make it a lot easier if you have a two speed reel so you can let it run before engaging the reel.
    I think there was some posts on shark fishing a while ago & there were a couple of web links to where you could order pre-made leaders that looked pretty good. In the pics I posted we did try using both sinlge & double hook rigs to see if made a diff on hook ups, however we didn't go enough to make any conclusions, but like he said probably a whole lot eaiser to release if only using one.

Thanks for the info. I would really like to go out with someone that knows what they are doing the first time. Anyone in the Juneau area willing to show me the ropes in exchange for fuel? (So long as you're not dragging twin 250hp engines or the like on the boat.)

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    Thanks for the info. I would really like to go out with someone that knows what they are doing the first time. Anyone in the Juneau area willing to show me the ropes in exchange for fuel? (So long as you're not dragging twin 250hp engines or the like on the boat.)
    We've landed and released 23 big sharks in the past few seasons, but it's all incidental to a halibut/bottomfishing trip, and not a dedicated charter. Also, I've been running multi-day to Cross Sound to fish for them, rather than chasing ghosts near Juneau... I've heard a few of the other Juneau gang rumbling off and on about putting together a charter to run out to Elfin Cove for a few days in late August... Anyone interested? Time to take the discussion to PM land?

-Case
    M/V CanCan - 34' SeaWolf - Bandon, OR
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    We've landed and released 23 big sharks in the past few seasons, but it's all incidental to a halibut/bottomfishing trip, and not a dedicated charter. Also, I've been running multi-day to Cross Sound to fish for them, rather than chasing ghosts near Juneau... I've heard a few of the other Juneau gang rumbling off and on about putting together a charter to run out to Elfin Cove for a few days in late August... Anyone interested? Time to take the discussion to PM land?

-Case
    Case,

I am trying to put together a Glacier Bay trip (like I have not seen that place enough lately) for late Aug. If you end up doing a charter over in that neck o the woods, let me know. I may head out that way as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chauvotsm View Post
    I swore I had one on over at Halibut Cove about a year ago. Rod bent to the water line, I let out some drag, thought the fish was done running, set the drag, fought it for a second, then the line popped. I didn't think it was a halibut due to the run it initially took and the fight it had. I have landed large halibut and they felt more like raising up a peice of ply wood, but this was a full on rodeo for about 5 minutes. Pretty wild.

Anyone know where you can buy commercially caught pinks for bait, in the Anchorage or Whittier area? I plan on giving this shark fishing a try also.

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Can and EPW: Depending on price, I am definately interested in putting something together. Would you guys keep me in the loop as you start discussing things?

Quote Originally Posted by AkBillyBow View Post
    Anyone know where you can buy commercially caught pinks for bait, in the Anchorage or Whittier area? I plan on giving this shark fishing a try also.

Thanks...AkBillyBow
    Don't know about ANC or Whittier, but here in SE it's legal to use sport caught pinks and chums as bait. Even when I had to get the commercial stuff, the canneries in town always had plenty to give away...

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I think it leagal to use pu fish dipnetted from kenai

Angry Kenai PU reds as shark bait?

I do not know about the legality of using personal use fish as bait, but the ethical ramifacations of using fish for feeding your family as bait has not got much merit with me. We get enough dipnet traffic here on the Kenai area without people coming here to catch bait.
    Take your chance on sport caught fish and leave the netting to those of us who use our fish to eat and feed our families.
    Last edited by gunrman; 07-14-2008 at 00:37. Reason: miss-spelled word

maybe he means the leftover carcases? No idea if its legal though

Sorry in advance if I'm hitting on a touchy subject here (never dipnetted myself)... what's the difference between catching or netting a few pinks for shark bait and jigging or netting a few herring for salmon bait? Both species of "baitfish" are very edible and have been a staple in the diets of families for thousands of years. Both "target" species (salmon and salmon sharks) are great fun to catch and VERY edible if you're looking to fill the freezer for the long winter ahead.

Can someone explain (in simple terms a Native Alaskan could understand) the premise of the ethical or potentially legal problem behind using pinks for bait?

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by CanCanCase View Post
    Sorry in advance if I'm hitting on a touchy subject here (never dipnetted myself)... what's the difference between catching or netting a few pinks for shark bait and jigging or netting a few herring for salmon bait? Both species of "baitfish" are very edible and have been a staple in the diets of families for thousands of years. Both "target" species (salmon and salmon sharks) are great fun to catch and VERY edible if you're looking to fill the freezer for the long winter ahead.

Can someone explain (in simple terms a Native Alaskan could understand) the premise of the ethical or potentially legal problem behind using pinks for bait?

-Case
    Case
    IMO. The only reason pinks are illegal to use for bait is because they are classified as gamefish. The regs in my area (not AK) state you may not use sport caught gamefish for bait. I have argued with others as to the legality (sp?) of using whitefish for bait for lake trout, with them saying it is not legal because there is a limit on them, while my stance is thaey are not considered gamefish according to the regs and therefore ok to use for bait. I have confirmed this with the fish cops. I have even used lake trout carcases for bait and have caught fish on them.
    I would talk to the ADFG about the legality of using pinks for bait and wether you can use your own sport caught or if comm caught ones will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I would talk to the ADFG about the legality of using pinks for bait and wether you can use your own sport caught or if comm caught ones will be ok.
    ADF&G has actually issued a regulation update (last summer) that specifically allowed sport caught pinks and chums to be used as bait. I believe they did this by de-classifying those varieties as a sport fish.

I'm just curious about the above comments regarding using dip-netted fish for bait....

-Case
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]