Thread: ducks in sitka area?

Default ducks in sitka area?

after college, i plan to move to the sitka area. down here in MI, duck and goose hunting is really popular, and that is the thing i get the most enjoyment out of down here. the only thing i am worried about when i move to AK would be the duck hunting opportunities. has or does anyone duck hunt in the sitka area? i am not looking for spots, just wondering if people do it. while i was there last month, i seen a few camo boats, but who knows if they were duck boats. i also forgot to ask around. i love the state, and will move up there regardless, but it would ease my mind to know that duck hunting is readily available in the area around sitka.

Default Sitka ducks

We'll first off....good luck on your move. It's not a small one.

Second......secret spots don't really exist here and great pleasure is to be found trying out your buddies spot "next time". This is big country and the areas to hunt numerous.

Ducks.....they are up every drainage in some type or form. Go into the Centenial building and look over the taxidermy mounts of local waterfowl. You'll be amazed.

So is the hunting any good? Yes Is it the same? No

I haven't done much duck shooting but If I had a shot gun in hand I could have killed plenty of ducks in many different sinarios.

I do have Spaniels that I plan on using for this season and I'd like to lay out some decoys and get some shooting in. There really is just a good jump shoot system here, not to mention you just can't keep the ducks off the river estuaries.

Why you moving to Sitka?

ill be going to sitka because i liked what i saw there. i also have relatives that i visited that welcomed me back when i move, just until i can get started. also, i am getting my degree in criminal justice, and as i understand it, the state trooper academy is in sitka. so the hunting is different, but if there are ducks, i am happy. granted, i dont think they will be the big corn fed mallards im used to.

Default Corn feed

I don't know about that.......our fly way heads through WA too. It all depends on the duck. I have see some huge northern ducks but for the most part they are a bit smaller. What makes up for it is the smaller and plentiful species of geese.