Thread: Joe Fisherman saves the day!!!

Default Joe Fisherman saves the day!!!

I don't know if you are a member of this forum or browse, but whoever you are, I want to again say a huge THANK YOU! You not only saved the day but also preserved memories that will last a lifetime.

Today, July 12, at Mud Island, we hooked a very nice fish that was basically uncontrollable. I was fishing in the orange Koffler guide boat #398.

Here is the story. We were backtrolling when this hog hit the forward right rod and subsequently rocketed to the left, wiping out all of my rods. The fish continued to peel line into the gear of the private anglers in the boat beside us (long way away), and even more into the motor of another guide boat.

The private angler (Joe Fisherman?) acted absolutely perfectly and precisely. He communicated exceedingly well, stayed with us while we were unhooking the line from the other guide boat, and continued to drift with us until we could cut his line.

In total disbelief, we landed this fish, and was able to return the gear to the private angler. The fish weighed in (on a certified scale) at 58# after being bled and sitting in the box for 5 hours.

The girl that fought the fish was 11 years old from Idaho, who caught a fish bigger than Grandpa's (she had help from her 11 year old cousin). The rest of the crew will have an experience that will last a lifetime.

Again, thank you.

Yellowknife, NWT

Thumbs up

Awesome!!! Good work getting that beast in.
    They have a memory that will last a life time!!

Default Good story

Thanks for sharing. Fish on - a lifetime memory for a little girl from Idaho!

Wasilla, Alaska/Las Vegas, Nevada

Thumbs up

Happy looking crew there. Sounds like a heck of a battle deservedly won, there still is good folk around .

Congrads on a nice hog!

Aberdeen WA

Nice job, Ed!

And another big thanks to Joe Fisherman!

Man, those are the fish I live for.... tidewater screamers. Whether it's a platinum 30-40# hen or a champagne 50-60# buck, these fish will make the drag sing, the line hiss, and the waters part as their thick backs slice the surface at warp speed. It's what defines the excitement of fishing Kenai kings.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone."
    The KeenEye MD

Default Can't we all get along

This is the way it should be on the Kenai. We all know it will be crowded, but working together is the only way. Thanks to the Joe fisherman and the guide for posting.