Thread: Best Overall Dipnet?

Default Best Overall Dipnet?

I've dipped Chitna before and I also plan to go back this year. But I'd also like to try Kasilof or Kenai sometime. It seems that the nets people prefer for each spot are very different with the giant hoop nets with clear monofilament netting for the inlet and smaller nets on the Cooper where black works just fine. I also remember hearing that Hem's won't let you get on his boat with certain kinds of dip nets. I don't know if that's still the case. So if you're going to buy just 1 net; what do you get, and where do you get it?

To me you answered your own question. Both spots require totally different dipnets. You can't handle a big net up north, and you won't catch many down south w/o dipnet..............I guess to give an answer though....if you had the biggest net you could handle with the longest handle use two different nets on it. Wide black (maybe gillnet would work better anyway) up north and the gillnet when on the kenai/kasilof.

Good question, but tough, kinda like asking "what is best rod for fishing Kings, reds, silvers,and rainbows.

Maybe someone will have a real answer? Hope so.

Just build two nets... one for each application. Why compromise both fisheries by morphing together two different tools and ending up with one that doesn't do very well at either job?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I do the same. One pole, two different hoops/nets.

Mike's welding in Sterling sells a great net for the Kenai.

I use a big hoop net for both. The only thing that changes, is the length of the pole.

Never had an issue limiting out. Even did 52 in an hour one regrettable day.

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    Just build two nets... one for each application. Why compromise both fisheries by morphing together two different tools and ending up with one that doesn't do very well at either job?
    I agree Just build one it cost me 2hrs. of my time and $40 to build the hoop including the material for the hoop the yoke and the net. I used 1/2 emt conduit 2 10ft. sticks, 1 ft. of solid steal rod which I used to sleave the inside of the 2 sticks and then a conduit bender. I drew a perfect 60" circle on the concreate made a center line across the circle and then used a 12" ruler, with the ruler outside the circle I put the 6" mark on the ruler on the center line and slid the ruler down til the points touched the circle and then drew a line across the circle and then move the ruler to the point where the line met the circle and put the ruler on the mark then slid the ruler down til it touched the circle and drew the line again and continued this til I was finished with half the circle then did the otherside the same way then bent the conduit along the line. I can take a picture if you would like of the finished product. The final id of the net is 59" and should last years of abuse if you need help I could even help with building it at no cost

Default Photos of homemade nets?

I'd love a couple of photos of this. It seems that if I could make something that would work at both places it would be the best of both worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by 06tributeman View Post
    I agree Just build one it cost me 2hrs. of my time and $40 to build the hoop including the material for the hoop the yoke and the net. I used 1/2 emt conduit 2 10ft. sticks, 1 ft. of solid steal rod which I used to sleave the inside of the 2 sticks and then a conduit bender. I drew a perfect 60" circle on the concreate made a center line across the circle and then used a 12" ruler, with the ruler outside the circle I put the 6" mark on the ruler on the center line and slid the ruler down til the points touched the circle and then drew a line across the circle and then move the ruler to the point where the line met the circle and put the ruler on the mark then slid the ruler down til it touched the circle and drew the line again and continued this til I was finished with half the circle then did the otherside the same way then bent the conduit along the line. I can take a picture if you would like of the finished product. The final id of the net is 59" and should last years of abuse if you need help I could even help with building it at no cost

Here you go it's got 5 5' lengths of handle I bought yrs. ago at b&j for $25 a piece total length put together from end of handle to tip of net is about 28'