Thread: Moose hunting ammo for 7mm RemMag

Default Moose hunting ammo for 7mm RemMag

I got lucky this year and drew a moose tag for the southwestern portion of unit 20B. Since I can shoot a cow my chances are pretty good of going home with some meat for the winter. I am fairly new to hunting in Alaska and hunting big game altogether. I went out last season for seven days and got skunked. Thank you air boaters. My question to the forum is what kind of ammo should I be using and at what range should I be practicing firing at.

I have killed bulls with a 175 TBBC loaded by Federal . As to what ranges to shoot, thats depends on your shooting ability and your knowledge of the round. Good luck, the 7mm is a great round.

Default 7mm

Try 175 gr, Nosler Partitian, zero to +1" high at 100 Yards. I have had success with core-lokt and or hi-shok as well with 175's. Good luck!

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

160 Nosler Partition sighted in a 1.5" high at 100 yards. The first moose I harvested after moving to Alaska many, many moons ago was with a 7 mag at just over 200 yards and the Partition bullet.

I have been practicing with federal vital shock 160grain nosler accu bond. Is this better or worse than the partition? What is the difference? Also where will I hit on the target at 200 yards if I am 1.5" high at 100 yards?

You should be hitting dead on at 200 yards.

Default Try it and see

Quote Originally Posted by colsen
    I have been practicing with federal vital shock 160grain nosler accu bond. Is this better or worse than the partition? What is the difference? Also where will I hit on the target at 200 yards if I am 1.5" high at 100 yards?
    My advice is to shoot 'em at 200 yards and find out.

Not because I distrust ballistic tables - they've proven dead-on for my rifles - but because nothing prepares you for shooting at 200 yards like shooting at 200 yards.

There's no better way to learn your limits (and eventually expand them) than to try them out. And putting the bullet where it needs to go is the single most important limit to being an ethical hunter.

Besides, challenging yourself at the range is a great time, and a great reason to spend more time shooting. Have fun!

Default The right bullet

Hey Colsen:

The Accu-bond is a deer bullet...like mule deer it would work on a Bou but go with the partition for moose. 160 grain is good enough just go for the broadside lung shot and shoot till it drops.