Thread: DM 448 Birchwood moose

Default DM 448 Birchwood moose

Congratulations to those of you whoíve won a permit. Sorry to those of you that didnít. Iíve had my share of dry years. I am looking for information on hunting moose in the Birchwood Management area for moose. Any of you folks out there hunt it in the past or know someone who has? Any suggestions?

Thanks!
    Phil in Anchorage

Helped a friend before (same permit) It's a very hard hunt. Allot of private property. Start scouting very early and often. This will cut down allot of the frustration we had.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Were you guys successful? Did you see many animals? Can they be called off the private property later in September? Is it hard to access public land because of all the private land?

Thanks!
    Phil

Default birchwood

i drew a birchwood moose tag last year, the area is not that easy to hunt, there is a lot of native land/ private. the natives won't let you hunt on their land unless you are share holder. If you go to the fish and game office in anchorage, they will give a map of the area. Good luck hope you do better than i did.

Mark

Bad news:

I saw a bull hit on the Glenn Hwy between North and South Birchwood Loop overpasses just a couple of weeks ago.

That's one out of the pool.........

Default You should be able to call them...

"Can they be called off the private property later in September?" in late September...I've called them in August...so I don't see why you won't be able to call them at all...

Thanks for the words guys. I guess calling a bull off private land sounds like the only option. I guess I'll go by fish and game and see just how bleek things look.

Phil in Anchorage

Don't let our word get you down. You can be successful but it's going to take allot of planning and hard work. The Eklutna reg for moose (bow) and the Birchwood permit I rate as one of the hardest hunts around anchorage area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK