Thread: DC608 Killey River

Default DC608 Killey River

Any advice for caribou hunt in Killey River area (DC608) ?

Is it possible to walk in?

Where should I focus my efforts?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Unhappy Horses

I have not hunted the area, but I did look into the permit a few years back and it was strongly recommended to me to use a horseback outfitter. I remember finding two, but unfortunately I cannot remember their names. Try searching the interent. I beleive the cost was 12-1500$, but that was atleast four or five years ago. I gues atleast there would be no gas surcharge. If I find my old info I will PM it to you. Sorry I can't be of more help.
    Greg

Alex Kime down in Cooper Landing has horses for that hunt. Contact him early to reserve a date. He is at Alaska Horsemen's Trail Riding.
    Johnny

Come on guys someone has to have GPS coordinates on a World record bou in this area.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    Come on guys someone has to have GPS coordinates on a World record bou in this area.
    I caught one this summer and collared it. Still tracking it!

Smile

There are lots of caribou back there and some large ones also. Its a hard walk from any of the trails off Tustamena and would be a difficult pack out, even splitting one with two guys. Cause a big caribou is also a really heavy pack! Its a short and reasonable flight in there so that would be the way to go. Have High Adventure or one of the Trail Lake outfits drop you off. Have fun...
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Talk to the ex bio Ted sparker,he is a wealth of knowlege,i was lucky enough to have gone on 2 bou hunts up there.....very good hunt, we used my father inlaws horses,and once with lou albright horse transporter.....one caribou we took scores 430 the other just over 375.....good luck....ps we used the funny river trail both times

Quote Originally Posted by sheep man View Post
    Talk to the ex bio Ted sparker,he is a wealth of knowlege,i was lucky enough to have gone on 2 bou hunts up there.....very good hunt, we used my father inlaws horses,and once with lou albright horse transporter.....one caribou we took scores 430 the other just over 375.....good luck....ps we used the funny river trail both times
    Well you've got me excited now.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by jkb View Post
    GPS coordinates would be my pard's house. We killed that one three years ago.

Default Twin Lakes

Thanks for the advice.

What do you think about flying into Twin Lakes?

Thanks

Horses are the way to go up on the bench. The Hansen trail that leaves from Brown's lake or the Pollard trail around Lake Tustumena are your options. I like the Hansen trail but an advantage of taking the other route is that you can take the horses as far as Bear Creek empty and take your gear across Lake Tustumena in a boat. It is also an option on the return, if you have someone on standby who can pick up the moose at Bear Creek area. I would head up toward the snow shoots and look for caribou there. It is a great area for glassing.
    The people that I know who have successfully hunted this area on foot have gone up the Lake Emma trail off of Lake Tustumena. It is a tough hike but there will probably be caribou at the top, and lots of bears.
    Good Luck, DrB

Default Killey River Herd

Call Alaska Horsemen Trail adventures. they do packing up there in that country. do not recommend walking up there yourself.

22 miles of hard walking to caribou
    Unknown author

Quote Originally Posted by DrB View Post
    The people that I know who have successfully hunted this area on foot have gone up the Lake Emma trail off of Lake Tustumena. It is a tough hike but there will probably be caribou at the top, and lots of bears.
    Good Luck, DrB
    yeah thats normally true but not this year...no caribou spotted up above lake emma that i've heard of so far all the way to the killey...but the bears part is right on...i've never seen so many brown bear as i have in the last few years...they are stacked up like cordwood...

Quote Originally Posted by AkGoat1 View Post
    Any advice for caribou hunt in Killey River area (DC608) ?

Is it possible to walk in?

Where should I focus my efforts?

Any ideas?

Thanks
    call the kenai national wildlife refuge in soldotna and ask them for the names and phone numbers of legal outfitters for that area...

alex kime or bon eddy out of homer are the usual picks...