Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Db 990

Default Db 990

Wondering who drew this permit?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I drew this permit. I'm excited about it too. I have hunted caribou the last three years up there and now I can try a stalk on a Brownie. I have seen them up there but not very many. If any would have some suggestions on areas to try I would be in debt. Let me know and thanks.

Walk away from the road. You will be surprised what you will see if you got about 1.4 off the road.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I have done some walking up there before to look for caribou and fish. I was thinking about walking in around pump station 2 or considered the 120 dip. I would appriciate any other advice, and will be sure to let everyone know what I find when I go.
    Thanks

Success rate on that permit is probably one of the lowest in the state. I think 1 bear taken per year is the average for the last 6-7 years, and only 1 or 2 of those under the permits. Bears are few and far between any more to find, then trying to get on them is another story.

It can be done though... good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Success rate on that permit is probably one of the lowest in the state. I think 1 bear taken per year is the average for the last 6-7 years, and only 1 or 2 of those under the permits. Bears are few and far between any more to find, then trying to get on them is another story.

It can be done though... good luck!
    Did you get a permit????

If you get off the road it helps. But you are right with the stats.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Nope, didn't get a permit, but I hunt up there in the spring normally. I didn't this year since I filled my tag with a coastal brown on Admiralty. In 2007 I arrowed a 6 foot sow off the road system during the regular open season.

I'd love to get a fall permit as I spend quite a bit of time up there throughout the year, but I do like having the tag ready for spring as I'm getting a little ancy to chase something by the time May rolls around.

I also have looked at the past years result and agree that it is a low success hunt. The reason I applied for it is because I cariou hunt up there every year, so I figured it I ever drew that permit, I could spend a little more time glassing for bears. Hey who knows, maybe I will be one of the lcuky ones. I know I have seen the bears up there before, but as you stated I have never seen more than one or two that far north. The cold foot area is another story, I have not driven through there yet without seenig a bear (brown or black). Thats not even looking for them either. Well thanks for the info, but keep it coming. There more I read and write about this, the more the blood begins to flow to my release finger.
    Thanks

Default To the TOP

Bump it up.

Seen more Grizzlies around Cold Foot then the haul it's self.... Get off the road and your chances are much better. I'm thinking of going Sept 1 or mid Sept. I will go for one week this time.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I will be going up August 25- Sept 1st. I hope I get a chance to stalk a bear at least. I know the odds are low, but I will walk and glass a ton.
    Thanks for the help guys and gals. Good luck and help the low carbon diets in these caribou.

Season open Sept 1 right????
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

nope 25th this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan19alaska View Post
    nope 25th this year.

Permit info I have says 1 Sept - 31 Oct.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

The board of game voted to move the season back in the fall to start August 25th. Unfortunately they ignored the proposal I put in for the spring season to end later in June because they said this one covered that discussion. I guess I'll try again in a couple of years.

Good to know thanks. I still think I will go sometime in Sept.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Anyone else going up for this hunt?

When are you going? I'm in a bad spot right now. I don't know when I can make it. I have a few things that are happening at work in Sept. When I find out exact times of them I will be able to go.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Aug 24-Sept 2nd. I hope you get a chance to go, I will give reports when I return.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast