Thread: Denied Again....

Default Denied Again....

26 years of trying....watching the same names get pulled year after year...I gotta tell you ....this SU__X

Default same here

I have never drawn anything. I even apply for some of the less desirable hunts. All you guys that draw the great tags- do you donate money, have connections, or what? I keep thinking that someday I'll draw. Who knows

Default that what I always thought

I appied 7 or eight years nothing last year drew a muzzloader moose got a 50" bull this year kodiak bear maybe my luck is changing.

Default denied

still nothing 3yrs in a row with me and the wife applying for hunts

Arrow Connections?

Yeah, I've got connections.

I know several people who are both current and former brass in the Division of Wildlife Conservation. One of the current guys is even a hunting buddy.

I've drawn zero permits. Ever.

So it might be my usual rotten luck, but it sure isn't my connections.

32 years for me and zip, no bison,no moosey,no brownies, zipppppppppppppppppppppppp.
    29 years or so for my wife and same story.
    No Tier II for caribou either.

Clueless about selection process.

Seems like names drawn would be checked against several databases.

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyfish View Post
    26 years of trying....watching the same names get pulled year after year...I gotta tell you ....this SU__X
    I 2nd this SU_X........all in favor.........

I stopped counting, but it is over 30 years of donating for all kinds of drawings and nothing. The only thing I have got is the Nelchina boo permits a few years when the allotment was high enough. oh well.
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.” attributed to Thomas Jefferson

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    ....Seems like names drawn would be checked against several databases.
    Checked for what?

I've been in a lot of different places and put in for a good number of drawings. My luck is not very good. After 11 years I've drawn one Alaska hunt, goat on Kodiak. Oh, I did draw a mule deer doe twice while stationed in Utah.

Mark

I apply for various hunts depending on the status of the freezer and the hunting plans of the rest of the extended family.

I usually apply for Koyukuk and Yukon moose hunts in the winter drawing application period, and so know the status of that by the spring application period.

I and my wife apply for TC 566 Nelchina caribou without fail every year, and I also apply for TM 300 moose permits every year (although I've never won one). Depending on the status of the freezer, my winter drawing success/failure, and the hunting plans of the extended family, I'm also likely to apply in the spring for cow moose hunts in the Valley. This year I didn't because I won a moose drawing permit for the Yukon River, which is looking like I won't even hunt. I got a Nelchina caribou permit and my hunting partner got zip (not even a caribou permit, like he usually gets when I do). He want's to hunt in GMU 13 for moose, so I'll probably go with him. We'll have a decent chance to share a moose, I'll catch a caribou, and this area offers a good chance for a grizz.

By applying for multiple hunts for multiple species (especially hunts with high percentage chances) in both winter and spring application periods, and being able to go on various types of hunts (boats, ORVs, fly-ins), the odds of high quality hunts every year are virtually guaranteed.

I am disappointed as well.
    You have no idea.
    My husband and I were sitting here looking at all the results.
    Disappointing.

Why can't they just allow for people who haven't been able to obtain certain animals have first try and dibs at those species instead of people always getting repeat after repeat draws for game.
    Lurker.

I've drawn four permits (two cow, two caribou) since 1985. Zip on the Tier II handout.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I've drawn four permits (two cow, two caribou) since 1985. Zip on the Tier II handout.

Tim
    Tim,

That makes me feel a tad better. I just really wanted bison for our freezer this year. Then again, we plan to get sheep which makes me incredibly happy. Actually, it's going to motivate me a whole lot more since that sheep will have to last us as long as possible considering the run on Chitina was terrible this year and since we will not be doing Caribou until October. *sigh*
    Lurker.

Default Denied this year

Nothing this go around but have drawn (1)sheep, (1)moose and (1)caribou since 1995. Now waiting on winter draw...
    AkBama

I doesn't seem that bad too me. This is the first year that my wife or I have actually put in for drawing tags. I got a 14C sheep and my wife got a Delta Cow tag.

Such is the luck of the random draw. Folks get disappointed about not winning tags, but if you look at the odds, it's just not all that likely from year to year. For a tag like Delta Bison, you can realistically expect to win one every 150 years. I just try to plan my hunting year around general tag hunts, and if I win something I just consider that a bonus. Putting in for less desirable (higher %) hunts certainly helps, but it's still just the luck of the draw. I got an October archery sheep tag in the winter drawing, but nothing this time around. My wife has been putting in for permits for 5 years and still nothing on her end. But..at least the money goes to a great cause.

Default I've Drawn...

Killey river caribou, & Ft. Rich Moose before, in all the years (five) for applying...Brian is right, it's a numbers game, if you put in for high number permits, your more like to win...if you go for low permit numbers & high applications, your chances are slim to none...