Thread: Kimber and polymer parts

Default Kimber and polymer parts

I recently bought a 1911 Kimber CDP II. Of course never being happy with stock I added a few things. One of which was a mainspring housing with beveled magwell. When I took off the mainspring housing I noticed it was Polymer .....not aluminum or steel . I enjoy shooting this handgun, it shoots great. But, you would figure being a pistol built in their custom shop, it would have better quality parts. I also inspected my buddies Raptor and it to had a polymer mainspring housing. Am I going to run into anymore surprises with this handgun?????

Default polymer = plastic = less expensive

Don't be folled by all the fancy words - polymer is just another word for plastic!

Plastic parts are a lot cheaper to make than metal ones - that is why they are used. The polymer name is used to fool the unsuspecting public into think they are getting something better than they actaully are receiving.

Even the Norinco 1911 i bought the other day has a steel mainspring housing!

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I recently bought a 1911 Kimber CDP II. Of course never being happy with stock I added a few things. One of which was a mainspring housing with beveled magwell. When I took off the mainspring housing I noticed it was Polymer .....not aluminum or steel . I enjoy shooting this handgun, it shoots great. But, you would figure being a pistol built in their custom shop, it would have better quality parts. I also inspected my buddies Raptor and it to had a polymer mainspring housing. Am I going to run into anymore surprises with this handgun?????
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Yes.. polymer = plastic..... I just expected more for the price of the handgun and being assembled in thier custom shop. Guess plastic parts are now CUSTOM.

Yeah, kimbers have been using that plastic mainspring housing for at least a couple years now. My custom II that I bought in 06 is the same way. I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with them though. Look at the bottom of the plastic factory housing. Do you see what appears to be almost a crack or molding mark that is in the shape of a cross? It is on most that I've seen, mine included. Just another easy way to identify that it is plastic.

I was going to change mine but I guess until it breaks or something I can deal with it... and swallow my pride that my gun ain't all metal.

Default Changing it out...

I guess it must just be old age on my part, but to change a part that gives no problems????? There is all different kinds of plastic in this world. I've seen muzzle brakes made for arty made from plastic. Works just fine. The ones for a 20mm cannon were vary impressive.

I can not think of when in my life, have I ever seen a problem with any main spring housing on a 1911 Government model?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I was not too worried on the functionality of the mainspring housing. It probably would work fine. On my other 1911's they were all steel. I enjoy a heavier handgun and when I changed the housing with a Wilson Speed Chute it did make a difference on weight. I guess if I wanted a heavier handgun I should have bought one with a steel lower, but I liked the feel and look of the CDPII.

Thanks for the link Schmidty Dog, interesting reading. Sending it to some friends.

No problem GWH. Glad to help.