Thread: Safe water from stream?

Default Safe water from stream?

I live in one of Alaska's fluoridated communities... Don't want to get into that debate but suffice it to say I don't drink with it, don't cook with it, and now that I found out ALL of the sodium fluoride additive comes from CHINA I don't want it in my house AT ALL!!!! Aside from becoming politically active, and trying to get this practice stopped, I want to revive the old point submerged in the stream behind my house. The stream is a from mountain runoff, flows year round, and has no developed structures of any type upstream. The only human activity is a lightly used trail about 300 feet upstream from me. I am sure it is no biologically safe, but also fairly confident there is no unusual pollution in it.

How should I go about developing this as my primary water source? I am thinking a 55 gallon drum in the shed used as a small reservoir and settling tank. Then using a pressure pump (i.e. automatic type found on boats & yachts) with a sediment filter, and then a waterguard filter capable of filtering cysts & bacteria. This would be my bathing/cooking/cleaning water. Drinking water would be provided via 5 gal jugs from an artisian well and/or using my current fluoride countertop filter.

Any thoughts?

Default China

I'm with ya Mr. Spawn. It bothers me that AWWU poisons our water with fluoride. Anchorage is blessed with an abundance of good clean water and it's just a shame to mess it up. People have been killed and sickend by fluoride in Alaska by malfunctioning fluoride injection systems.

So, for the time being, my family buys (good) water and discards a large pile of empty plastic bottles every week.

Cool

Mr Spawn,

Check out the water store on International Airport Road in Anchorage. They can help you set up a system for use with stream/ground water.

The filter used on the automatic pumps on yachts is actually a sediment filter. We use it to strain out the large chunks and use a charcoal and sub micron filter for our drinking water.

Whatever type of system you use, if you use a holding tank it should be air tight. As it must be vented, be sure to put a filter in your vent line. Airborne yeast and fungus' can be ugly. I rebuilt all the systems on my boat over the last couple of years and the water system was one of the last (Hey, if it ain't broke don't fix it). When I pulled the vent line to replace it.......Gag me with a smirf!!!!! kind of explains why we had to scrub a stainless steel tank every year.

But anyhow, check with the water store, they can help you get set up.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by spawnedsalmon View Post
    I live in one of Alaska's fluoridated communities... Don't want to get into that debate but suffice it to say I don't drink with it, don't cook with it, and now that I found out ALL of the sodium fluoride additive comes from CHINA I don't want it in my house AT ALL!!!! Aside from becoming politically active, and trying to get this practice stopped, I want to revive the old point submerged in the stream behind my house. The stream is a from mountain runoff, flows year round, and has no developed structures of any type upstream. The only human activity is a lightly used trail about 300 feet upstream from me. I am sure it is no biologically safe, but also fairly confident there is no unusual pollution in it.

How should I go about developing this as my primary water source? I am thinking a 55 gallon drum in the shed used as a small reservoir and settling tank. Then using a pressure pump (i.e. automatic type found on boats & yachts) with a sediment filter, and then a waterguard filter capable of filtering cysts & bacteria. This would be my bathing/cooking/cleaning water. Drinking water would be provided via 5 gal jugs from an artisian well and/or using my current fluoride countertop filter.

Any thoughts?
    For years in BUSH Alaska, we lived on what I jokingly referred to as RO water. RO meaning run off water. I had 15 fifty five gallon plastic trash barrel inside the house surrounding the outside walls. This large amount of water kept the house warmer and used less fuel to heat, because of the large thermal mass of the water. From the outside of the house where my catch system for the rain water off of the roof, I kept covered with layers of cheese cloth (kept the bugs out) I used a pair of 50 foot water hoses and submersible pump to pump the tanks up in the house. I had maybe two hundred bucks in the system and we lived many carefree years with this system. This water was for drinking and bathing (steam bath) only. We lived with that wonderful Alaskan invention, honey bucket system.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Water again

Well, no more bottled water or fluoridated water for my family any more. I just assembled my new Big Berkey model water purifier and filled it up. It's doing it's thing and I can't wait to give the "clean " water a taste. After doing some research, I decided to give one of these units a try. It's made with good heavy construction and is fool-proof simple easy to use. So far, I'm impressed with it.

I'm going to send AWWU a bill for it, since they are responsible for messing up my water in the first place.