Thread: Homer Halibut

Default Homer Halibut

How is everyone doing in Homer this year? We seem to be catching a fair number of fish but they are mostly smaller 10-20 pounders. Fishing around Flat Island seems to be producing lots of fish, but smalllish.
    Compass Rose is producing as well but all chickens.
    Anyone else care to comment?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    How is everyone doing in Homer this year? We seem to be catching a fair number of fish but they are mostly smaller 10-20 pounders. Fishing around Flat Island seems to be producing lots of fish, but smalllish.
    Compass Rose is producing as well but all chickens.
    Anyone else care to comment?
    Flat island you catch chickens out there. maybe up to 30#....

I have done all right the two days that I went out there. I plan to go out again here soon.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

we've been doing well...

nice haul of a 68#, 45# and a box of 30# - perfect for my tastes.

...either off Seldovia midpoint to the Homer side bluffs, or out by the Fingers/Bumps/whatever you call them further out into Cook Inlet (Old Compass Rose area). My brother-in-law took my boat out the day before I blew into town with some friends and they got a boat limit of 2 90#, 1 45#, and the rest 25-35# at the first place - off Seldovia in 124' water

I'll be back down next week to see if the reds are in China Poot, taking a friend and his family out for butts, and letting his kids help get the last of my rockfish needed for the winter. Not to mention some yummy Homer Brew!
    '04 Hewescraft 24' Searunner
    200hp Honda 4stroke
    + multiple other 'toys'...

Next week I may head down to Pearle or Elizabeth. If the seas cooperate we might push towards the Barrens and do some exploring.
    We did drift those spots off Sedovia and managed to catch some huge skates. Not much fun. Only butt we caught there were like 12 inches long.

Talking

Tie Your Boat To Swissys Or Greys They Are Some ''butt'' Wackin Mommas.....:d
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Don't follow me I have no clue what I'm doing.
    Bone give me a call about next Sat.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I never go out that far, or even Compass Rose at that. I have a hole that I go to that is 9.45 miles from the spit. I rarely catch any thing under 15 pound and biggest to date is 125# all in 55-60 feet of water. 2 weeks ago I went out 3 days and believe it or not not one under 30 pounds and nothing over 45#. That was an economical trip.

My wife and father-n-law was off Pearle yesterday with other family members and nothing was under 50 pounds and the biggest was 112 plus a fat lingcod to boot .
    Right at 200 pounds of fillets for the 14 hour day .

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Smile cheating

Alaska Gray,
    I think you are cheating, you got a new secret spot from Boneyard, everyone else is still going to the same old spots.
    if I ever manage to get my boat together & down there I might have to get it out of you

Quote Originally Posted by AKMarmot View Post
    Alaska Gray,
    I think you are cheating, you got a new secret spot from Boneyard, everyone else is still going to the same old spots.
    if I ever manage to get my boat together & down there I might have to get it out of you

Catch me if you can.... Bone never gave me anything
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We just got back from Homer and we had a blast! Fishing was awesome, caught one 80-90#'s (will post pics soon) and another at 75 as the two largest fish. Caught a ton in the 30-50# range and caught 3 big lings. Great trip.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Catch me if you can
    Work Sucks! I'll make it out one of these days, and you can bet you'll have a follower! J/K

Gary, seriously man, we need to hook up and chase some of the big ones before the dogfish show up.

-- Gambler

Quote Originally Posted by Gambler View Post
    Work Sucks! I'll make it out one of these days, and you can bet you'll have a follower! J/K

Gary, seriously man, we need to hook up and chase some of the big ones before the dogfish show up.

-- Gambler
    Lets go!!!!!! Only a couple more weeks before they move in. Besides arrow tooth, the dog fish have no purpose in life except to cause head aches to all fishermen!!!!!!!
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We are heading down again on Wed night to fish all day Thursday. Looks like calm seas up towards Deep Creek so we plan to launch at Homer and head up. If weather changes we may head to Pearle if the sea's allow it.
    If anyone has any recommendations for fishing either spot I would certaintly appreciate a PM with a tip for locations.
    Thank you

Charterboat Operator

Default dogfish

caught the first of the season, spiny twisting gear taneling bait stealing bottom dwelling dogfish on Sunday!
    12 hali over 40 pounds, 9 silvers, 12 pinks, and a suicidal sockeye made putting up with that bugger A OK!

Quote Originally Posted by POLE BENDER View Post
    caught the first of the season, spiny twisting gear taneling bait stealing bottom dwelling dogfish on Sunday!

THE INVASION HAS BEGUN
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by aufevermike View Post
    I never go out that far, or even Compass Rose at that. I have a hole that I go to that is 9.45 miles from the spit. I rarely catch any thing under 15 pound and biggest to date is 125# all in 55-60 feet of water. 2 weeks ago I went out 3 days and believe it or not not one under 30 pounds and nothing over 45#. That was an economical trip.

So wheres the hole?