Thread: Suckers in Alaska...

Default Suckers in Alaska...

Anyone else watch KTUU's Carpenter fishing in Six Mile Lake & his "guide" catch a sucker? I didn't know Alaska had suckers...I knew they had buffalo aka white fish, but suckers? Who'da thunk? & are they native to Alaska waters?

http://www.ktuu.com/global/story.asp?s=8658678

Default completely native

Most to all Alaskan rivers have things like suckers, sculpins and most have some kind or multiple kinds of whitefish run...we just don't see them as often or as easily if we are just fishing. Most active native communities target whitefish and sometimes suckers with smaller mesh nets during the fall and early spring around Bristol Bay. Even blackfish in the winter.

I know in the KNWR some of the lakes have them. On the water portage at canoe lake one they were all piled up by the stream feeding into canoe lake 2. I even flipped onto into the canoe using a paddle, and it was put back into the lake. Pretty decent sized fish.

Also suprising was fresh water muscles in canoe lake 2.

We have Bull suckers too. They spawn every spring in a lot of the local lakes and streams.

Default Not uncommon

Many Alaskan waters have them. Generally they are unseen in deeper waters and on the bottom, where they feed. Few people target them because they do not taste good, and are soft. What was most unusual about Carp's catch is that it bit a lure. Quite a feat for a sucker mouth which is probably constantly on the bottom. It must have gotten vacuumed in.

There's a lot of suckers in the Big Su. I've caught them in 20 mile, Deshka, and Montana Creek. And I've seen schools of them at the mouth of Montana Creek just chillen like nobody's business.

seen them at clear creek just about a mile upstream as well. You might say Yuck but , fillet them out and deep fry them. Use corn meal and your favorite coating. Like white fish.

Default >>>-------->

"Watch it,Sucka!"

I wont take any of your yummy suckers. (gag)

The suckers up here are incredibly slimey but dont bite very often. In Montana I used to catch sucker quite often while fishing for trout. I think I have only caught one two up here in twenty two years.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Just about any lake in the valley that has a stream in has suckers. Cottonwood lake is loaded with em', growing up on that lake we caught plenty and yes they are no very tasty, but fun to catch. If you go to the outlet or inlets of the lakes when the salmon are in, thats were they'll be, sucking up eggs.

Their taste all depends on when you get them. Growing up we would net or spear suckers early in the spring when they were making their spawning runs. Make fish cakes out of them and they're to die for! If you tried eating the same fish in july they tasted like mud!