Thread: Are Mathews really the best?

Default Are Mathews really the best?

After owning a coupla bows & owning two Mathews I have to ask what is your opinion of Mathews? Are they the leader that they like to sell themselves as or is there another? I've had Martin before, & a York, & much to my chagrin, Mathews did shoot better...I shot a Q2 or Q2xl, 29in (my martin was 30") back in 2001, & boy I hit all the black spots on the targets I was shooting @ Uncle Bills...it was WAAAY more accurate than my Martin & ever since then I made up my mind to get me a Mathews...low & behold I did it's a both an Outback & Switchback...& can say that they are sweet shooting machines...Don't get me wrong, my Martin was good, but Mathews just was BETTER...

This is an age old debate and each bowhunter will definitely have their opinion and will sound very convincing in their argument. The problem will be that not many of them will be objective. The pure objective truth to bows is this, whatever feels good in YOUR hands and gives YOU the confidence to make a great shot. For me this is a Hoyt Trykon, for others it may be a Matthews Switchback, yet others may like the new line of Bears and so on and so forth. Honestly, I think we have pretty much gotten to the point where there aren't any bad bow manufacturers out there. It all boils down to you and what you feel good with.
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

I have shot Mathews for target and they are very accurate bows.. I have also competed with McPherson, Newberry, Hoyt, and Martin bows...and I have shot them just as well.

Often times a guy will pick up a new bow and shoot it well. It's often just mental and the scores will quickly drop back to their average. I know because I used to be that guy. Now that I am more experienced I have yet to find a bow that has been made in the last couple years that is truly more accurate than any other. I shoot thousands of arrows a year and keep a detailed log book with my scores. Not one bow has increased my scores in the long term.

The one thing that WILL bring your accuracy up and your scores as well is determining your perfect draw length. Unfortunately it's difficult to determine unless you have a bunch of experience or a coach to help you. I can feel as little as an 1/8" difference in my draw now. 1/8" too short and my sight picture rapidly darts around..1/8" too long and it slowly drifts all over..just right and the pin slowly floats right on the bull.

So, is a Mathews a good bow? Yes, as long as the draw length is set perfectly for you. They draw nice and smooth, their speed is decent, they are quiet, they have good build quality and an excellent waranty...but so do bows from Hoyt, Bowtech, Martin and a host of others.

I've shot Mathews, Hoyt and Bowtech before I settled on the Mathews. For me it felt the best in my hand. I didn't like the Hoyt at all, and the Bowtech was a close second. I settled on the Switchback XT and will have this bow for a long time to come.

The person makes the bow. Yes better built bows do help. I can pick up a crap bow and shoot X all day with it. I have 3 Mathews and will continue to by them. It's just my preference of bows.... Hoyt, Bow tech, and PSE make good bows.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK