Thread: Valdez from shore?

Default Valdez from shore?

Getting set to take the two little guys down to see if we can pick up some pinks in valdez...i haven't been there in 20 years, can anyway give me some pointers on where you fish, some campgrounds or other stuff to do down there on the cheap...any other places to fish grayling on the drive down or stuff of the sort? any help would be great.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

One spot to fish is off the city dock. There should be lots of Pinks to catch there.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

cool, i'll look into that for sure..is there any flounder or other types of fish off the dock...the more variety the better off the kids will be!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Campgrounds

Sorry to thread jack. Any recommendations on where to stay when traveling with a camper? I needs to be within walking distance of some good shore fishing due to the little ones...Thanks

Anderson Point has camping and fishing from shore. its on the other side of the bay.

I have seen some kids catch flounder and Irish lords off the dock also.

Go around to the other side Jake and fish Allison point. You should catch a few fish from that spot.

Yum, pinks and Irish Lords -- the relatives are in for a real treat!

Just kidding ... I'll be in Valdez this weekend too -- just the usual assortment of Vibrax, Pixies, etc. for these Valdez pinks? Anyone have any special recommendations on colors and the like?

I've fished for silvers out of the harbor in Whittier using herring and large plugs, but I can't imagine herring etc. will be needed for pinks.

Thanks!

Been my experience that pinks will bite most anything you throw at them. That is what makes them so good for kids to catch. Odds are high that no matter what a kid does, they will hook into a pink.

Default valdez from shore

just went last weekend and took my 10 yer old. . the pinks are picking up and can be caught along shore at allison point during incoming tide and from city dock. there are 4 rv/camping parks next to downtown. downtown has a couple spots that will fillet , seal, and freeze anything you want to keep but not mess with. mikes palace has good pizza. there are also plenty of b$b if you want to go that route. visitor center can find you for a range of prices. stuff to do for kids when not fishing would be drive over thompson pass and walk up to worthington glacier (free/fun/easy excersize). take a rain jacket and you might have good weather. leave it behind and you'll get drenched for sure. have fun, hope this helps.

Also watch out for a brown bear sow near allison point. We saw her within 50 ft of the road twice last weekend. Might want to get a tide book to make sure you get the high tide right as well.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Go around to the other side Jake and fish Allison point. You should catch a few fish from that spot.
    thats what i said Anderson Point...i gotta get some sleep....

Default Jake

I was out yesterday doing an Open Seat run so just getting coffeed up and going again. Allison Point is probably your best option. Seiners are in thick netting so I don't know how many fish are over there but there should be some.

Yes lots of bears this year. Twenty reports of nuisance calls in the paper not counting the non-calls and the one I thumped in the yard.

Allison was totally re-done a couple years ago. Lots of parking, bathrooms, nice area now. There is some camping there too.

If it is next weekend, I am doing the Kids Tournament with COtoAk and her family. But give me a call anyways, ya just never know. 2858

Dave

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush;

Yes lots of bears this year. Twenty reports of nuisance calls in the paper not counting the non-calls and the one I thumped in the yard.

Dave
    Is that the one possibly still running around wounded? How close to you were those twenty reports coming from? I have seen a wounded bear do some crazy things in a day or two's time.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 07-12-2008 at 10:57.

Default All around

Bear reports are from all over town. At least three (2B,1BB) I know of have been relocated. Chickens, turkeys, a dog killed and many more incidents not reported. One guy pulled a bunch of hair out of ones rump the other day as it was sleeping against his front door. Bear was a little startled at it all.

One brown bear is near Allison Point.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012