Thread: Anyone want to estimate the weight of this Little Su King?

Default Anyone want to estimate the weight of this Little Su King?

My dad caught this fish when we first moved to Alaska, which was '87 or '88. This fish maxed out our only scale, which only went to 50lbs, and I'm not sure if he ever took exact measurements. For us personally, not only was it the first King we've ever caught out of the Su, it's been the biggest for us. We just assumed that 50lb fish out of the Little Su was the norm, which was probably why my dad didn't go out and get a bigger scale on the way home. I was still in grade school.

I know that axe handle is 36" long, and that coke can in his mouth is 4.75. Can anyone estimate how much it weighed?

i saved the picture, and did some measurements on it with my computator, based on the estimated measurements, the length is real close to 50.35 inches, and the girth comes out close to 31.2 inches, giving an estimated weight of 63.24 lbs... nice fish no matter how you measure it...

Using the ax I come up with 48" and using the pop can I come up with 44 inches but I can only see part of the can.

I would guess the fish to be 51 pounds seeing how it bottomed out your 50 pound scale.

The largest King I have caught also came from the Little Su. It was 48 1/4 inches and was the fattest King I have ever seen. It weighed 55 pounds.

Your fish is very thin and long in comparison. It looks more the shape of a Susitna River King. I caught one out of Willow that looked just like that and it was 54 inches and weighed 54 pounds.

Hope this helps.

----------------

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

We caught a fish this year that was 51.4 LBS and it didn't make the 50'' mark,from what i've seen in the little su thats about par, your going to have to hit 55'' to make 60 ish...that fish is still way better then ave........take a look at the matsu derby and compare inches to lbs.......

Oh man, sorry I didn't respond to this thread earlier, things have been really busy lately and I plain just forgot about it. I talked to my father shortly after posting and he said he remembers the exact length of the fish, he said it measured 54", and when he put it on the 50lb scale, it bottomed out really quick. Though we'll never know the exact weight of this fish, it brought a big smile to my dad's face when I told him about this thread, and how his fish was probably over 55lbs.

I really appreciate the help guys. It's my first memory of Alaska, at a time when my dad still had his health, and could still fish for King Salmon. Seeing him smile and recall those memories as if they were yesterday, man...good times.

Thanks again.

At 54 inches 55 pounds is more the ball park.

Back in 85-89 it was every year to see 55 pound kings come out of the Little Su. More like every weekend some of those years. I saw a 60 that would not fit in a very large king net and I was 2 feet from it when it made it way out of the net. It was by and far larger than any other king I have ever seen there. I have personally seen and bottomed out 50 pound scales on a fish or two there.

There was a guy who used a large spinning rod and 40 pound test. He would come through walking the trail about 4 in the morning. The only lure he used was a size 0 red spin-n-glo with about a 6/0+ hook. Two or three times in a couple years we saw him hook monsters that snapped his line and it would sound like a 22 pistol when the line snapped. One year he got one of those kings in and I went to him and asked if I could weigh it, it bottomed the 50 pound scale and still had the entire tail on the ground.

Those were the days.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".