Thread: temperatures in August

Default temperatures in August

Hi guys, I will be in Anchor in August and I was wondering what to expect for temperatures and how to dress. Thanks

Hey flyrod, I was up there the last week of Aug. between Anchorage and Valdez, the temps were in the mid 40's in the overnight and mid to high 60's during the day. We had sunny weather 90% of the time but everyone up there told us that we were lucky and its usually raining.

it's been a COLD summer so I'd say Aug will be in the 50s. Expect rain, and cold conditions. The plus side is runs are late, and I think August will be unreal for fishing.

Pack all the Gore-Tex and fleece you can find. Expect the worst and hope for the best. Guarantee that you will be in for some climatic shock coming from where you are in late August.

This pretty much sums up this summer.

August is typically has rain, and it's been a wet/overcast summer. It's usually more of a drizzle than pouring rain, but you get the occasional doonpour.

Will you be shore fishing, or taking any charters on the ocean? On the ocean the air temp will be the water temp, which is usually 55 deg in Aug. Add wind and humidity and thats downright cold. For those conditions I like polypro long johns, fleece layer and pvc type raingear on top, and a warm hat. If the sun comes out and there is no wind I peel off layers.

Layer up and no cotton! Have some good outerwear and you should be good.