Thread: 300 RUM loads

Default 300 RUM loads

I am going to start reloading for my Rem 300 Ultra Mag. I was looking in the book and what a variety of powders to use. I have some 4831 on the shelf (use this in my 338) but there are some newer powders that I have not used. Does anyone have some suggestions for a 180 gr. Nosler load. It does not have to be wicked fast for me, I prefer accuracy to velocity, but speed is ok.
    I am shooting a Rem 700 and will be pointing the skinny end at moose for the most part.

Greg

I would start with RL 25, IMR 7828, Magnum, and Retumbo....prob in that order.

I've had really good luck with RL22 in my 300RUM Rem 700 while shooting 200 gr. TSX. Accuracy was unreal.

A popular load for the 300 seems to be about 93 gr of Retumbo behind a 200 gr Accubond with a BC of .588. You can expect velocities of up to 3200 fps.

Retumbo is temp stable powder and would be my first choice.

For other load suggestions you can check the Nosler, Barnes and Hodgdon sites.

And of course always start with a safe starting load and work up.

Yep, go with a 200-grain Accubond and Retumbo powder. 91g MIN to 95g MAX for powder charges.

Hey there Greg,

I never did use 180's in my 300 ultra mags. I have owned 5 of them.

I did shoot 200's at 3200 FPS with Retumbo though.

220's went 3050 and 240's went 2850 both with IMR 7828.

If I remember right I chronied some 180 partition factory loads at 3300 FPS and found some of the bullets in the snow banks at close range and the bullets were holding together. I expect that at close range and high speed (the 180's should reach 3400 FPS) they may be on the edge of coming apart.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Thanks

I should have asked the questions before buying. Being a .338 guy for so long I had friends with .30 and they all swore by 180 gr so I bought some noslers and then looked in a book for a load. Not the smartest thing to do, But i am sure I will have some fun stretching out the brass the first go around.

Greg

Quote Originally Posted by akgiauque View Post
    I should have asked the questions before buying. Being a .338 guy for so long I had friends with .30 and they all swore by 180 gr so I bought some noslers and then looked in a book for a load. Not the smartest thing to do, But i am sure I will have some fun stretching out the brass the first go around.

Greg
    The 180's are great bullets for the 300 WM and 300WSM, but the RUM is a step up and IMO the 200 gr bullet is the way to go.

If you already have the bullets work up a load for them. There will not be a whole lot of difference between them and a good 200. You should still find a no holdover load to 400 yards.

I thought a 200 Barnes TSX would be about ideal for the 300 RUM and moose. I found it to work well in the 300 win mag.(on deer)

I did load some 200 Nosler Accubonds in my brother in laws rifle and they shoot well.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Big Stick

'22 is where it's at................

Sorry for the thread dig...

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    I've had really good luck with RL22 in my 300RUM Rem 700 while shooting 200 gr. TSX. Accuracy was unreal.
    Did you hang up the Remmy for your new project?

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    I never did use 180's in my 300 ultra mags. I have owned 5 of them.
    How come, just personal preference?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    The 180's are great bullets for the 300 WM and 300WSM, but the RUM is a step up and IMO the 200 gr bullet is the way to go.
    Is a 180 going faster a problem?

Looking at getting a bottle of RUM and doing some research. A few buddies have them and are very confident with their rifles and love 'em. Might have a hook on one, we'll see...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I use the 180 E-Tip and it's good to any velocity. Right now I'm getting a little over 3400 with 97.5 g of Retumbo. H1000 produces similar results. Also got the same velocity with 86 g of RL17. I am real happy with the accuracy of the E-Tips and shot a 1.8" 3 shot group @ 427 yds with a light wind out of my Sendero.

For lead core bullets I would go with 200 gr or heavier out of the RUM and have been working with 200 AB's and 210 Bergers.

Don't over look the 168gr TSX @ 3400fps, extremely accurate and will perform as well as or better than the 180gr nosler. I was very pleased with the performance of that load out of my 300 RUM.

I worked up a load in my buddies Rem 700 Sendero II with the only powder he had, H4831sc. After several charges and seating depths variations this combination worked best:

Berger 175gr VLD Hunting bullet
    H4831sc @ 88.4
    Federal Brass 2.838
    CCI 250
    COL 3.590
    velocity 3130fps

There was a little more speed available with this powder but not much. This combination was most accurate out of his rifle.

************************************************** ************************************************** *

I had just picked up a used Christensen Arms 300RUM from a guy that wasn't pleased with the way it shot. I wasn't happy with the speed out my my buddies Sendero with H4831sc so I picked up some IMR7828ssc and got busy developing my RUM.

Berger 175gr VLD Hunting bullet
    IMR 7828ssc @ 88.5
    Nosler Brass 2.830
    CCI 250
    COL 3.630
    velocity 3225fps

Once again there was more speed available but this combination shot best. The brass trim is a little short but these new pieces were short from the factory. I trimmed them all to the length of the shortest piece for uniformity.

When zeroed 3" high at 100yards this rifle shoots a 1" three shot group at 300 yards about 1/2" high with a dead on hold in my hands, other shooters may do better. Needless to say I'm pleased with the way this rifle shoots.

I plan on trying RL-25 with some 210gr Berger's and 200gr Accubond's when time permits.

I used a 180-grain bullet at 3300 fps on a brownie last year at 15 yards and the bullet exited. Hit him in the chest and came out his bottom. How do you improve on that?

So other than some modest recoil, this cartridge seems to be a performer and on a varied range of bullet weights, too. Big step up in performance from the '06 thats in the safe...

So other than some modest recoil, this cartridge seems to be a performer and on a varied range of bullet weights, too. Big step up in performance from the '06 thats in the safe...
    A real big step up. The only reasom I have a 300 RUM is because I am interested in LR. Otherwise my go to rifle would be a 300 WSM. I do love shooting that rifle (RUM) and hitting steel a long way off. When it barks you know you are holding a fist full of power.

One time at the range it wasn't real snug inmy shoulder pocket and when I fired it, a guy standing near me sadi what was that? I said a 300 Ultra! It gave me a real jolt and it was very obvious to any witnesses

Shooting a moose at 500 Yds with the RUM is like shooting it at 125 yds with the .06.