Thread: Marlin 450

Thumbs down Marlin 450

Last year I purchased my first lever action...a Marlin 450 (new). I was a little concerned when I bought it how sloppy the trigger was and even went back and looked at another to make sure mine was ok...it was.... they were all sloppy.
    Well anyway, I fired the rifle maybe 5 times and I noticed how difficult the action was becomming...to make a long story short, I took the gun back to WalMart who sent it to Wild West guns in Anchorage, who then sent it back to Marlin. When I called Wild West they claimed it had a "ring in the barrel." and this was a manufacturer's defect this is why it went back to Marlin. Marlin did not have any 450 barrels ready so who knows how long I would have had to wait.

The manager of the Fairbanks WalMart store was great.....apologized for everything and refunded my money.

Marlin.....sorry, but your product....in my opinion/experience.... is junk
    Last edited by Sua Sponte 96; 07-10-2008 at 21:11. Reason: spelling

So how did you "Unregister" the gun from your name? Just because you got your money back doesn't mean the firearm registration has been cleared from your name. The feds probably think you still own this rifle. I believe it is against the law for wal-mart to destroy or return your federal form - even with a refund. They cannot account for the rifle by serial number in their inventory so they must - by law - have your form (or a copy) on file. Which means the weapon is still owned by you as far as the ATF is concerned.
    I went through this several years ago with a revolver that was replaced by the manufactuer. I ended up "owning" both the old serial number and the new replacement gun also. It was a nightmare to clear up with the ATF. Took several months and finally only happen because I got the factory to "delete" the old serial number and certify the weapon destroyed to the ATF. As far as the ATF was concerned as long as that serial number existed I "owned" the gun.

Default ???

No, Wal-Mart wouldn't destroy the paperwork and nobody said they did. I don't know why all the fuss. Firstly, it isn't really registration. When the transaction is called in, the record of the call, if the FBI is doing it legally, is expunged. Then, the store has the only paperwork besides your own copy of the receipt. I don't know why the ATF was brought into the mix. If your gun is returned to the manufacturer, as I have had done several times in my checkered gun-owning history, you would have paperwork to record that happening.
    That was great that Wal-Mart gave you your money back. I never heard of them doing that. Usually demanding that the gun be repaired or replaced by the factory and washing their hands of it, just like Fred Meyers does. I wonder how they got their money back. They probably order through the factory as a distributor. Hmmm....

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    So how did you "Unregister" the gun from your name? Just because you got your money back doesn't mean the firearm registration has been cleared from your name. The feds probably think you still own this rifle.......
    Yup. That illustrates the folly of current gun registration. It's meaningless:

"Mr. Mark, we know you bought an AR-15 on Jan 22, 2002. Where is it?"

"I don't know, Mr. BATF Field Agent. I sold it soon afterwards."

"To whom?"

"Oh, some gangbanger lookin' dude. I didn't ask his name."

"Okay. Thank you Mr. Mark."

"You're welcome, Mr. BATF Field Agent."

Marlin.....sorry, but your product....in my opinion/experience.... is junk[/QUOTE]

Ok Marlin sent out a bad barrel that does not mean that their whole line up is junk or that all 450's are junk .

I have many rifles and revolvers from many manufactures and over the years I have herd negative things about certain products but I have not had any problems with any of them, Knock on wood and if I have I would not say the whole line up of them junk, just need it replaced,repaired or replaced.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

interesting "review" but sounds like you just had some bad luck, that kinda stuff happens with every company and you cant really say that Marlins products are junk because you had a little bad luck. better luck next time

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte 96 View Post
    Last year I purchased my first lever action...a Marlin 450 (new). I was a little concerned when I bought it how sloppy the trigger was and even went back and looked at another to make sure mine was ok...it was.... they were all sloppy.
    Well anyway, I fired the rifle maybe 5 times and I noticed how difficult the action was becomming...to make a long story short, I took the gun back to WalMart who sent it to Wild West guns in Anchorage, who then sent it back to Marlin. When I called Wild West they claimed it had a "ring in the barrel." and this was a manufacturer's defect this is why it went back to Marlin. Marlin did not have any 450 barrels ready so who knows how long I would have had to wait.

The manager of the Fairbanks WalMart store was great.....apologized for everything and refunded my money.

Marlin.....sorry, but your product....in my opinion/experience.... is junk
    Yup, defects slip through any manufacturing line, and both Marlin and Wmart held up their end of the bargain.

But overall, lever actions are kinda knock-around rifles compared to bolts. Just looser tolerances in triggers and everything else. Tuning helps, but it will never be a bolt trigger.

Sad to say, if you didn't like the Marlin, you probably aren't going to like any of the other levers out there, with the possible exception of the Browning BLR, which is a little more "bolt like" in its design.

Don't like them yourself is just fine. But "junk" is kinda like calling a Ford F150 junk cuzz you don't like pickups in general. Levers are simply different guns for different jobs.

Thumbs up Marlins

I have both the .450 and the 45/70 and am quite pleased with the quality of Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by kingfisherktn View Post
    I have both the .450 and the 45/70 and am quite pleased with the quality of Marlin.
    +1....I haven't found them to be "junk" either.
    The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps! (Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Yup. That illustrates the folly of current gun registration. It's meaningless:

"Mr. Mark, we know you bought an AR-15 on Jan 22, 2002. Where is it?"

"I don't know, Mr. BATF Field Agent. I sold it soon afterwards."

"To whom?"

"Oh, some gangbanger lookin' dude. I didn't ask his name."

"Okay. Thank you Mr. Mark."

"You're welcome, Mr. BATF Field Agent."

Back in 1991 when I was the CEO of Firearms Training Institute I had the opportunity to purchase many fine Law Enforcement firearms. One such weapon that I personally bought was a Styer AUG (green). (semi auto, non class 3)

When I sold the company, I keep this weapon along with several others as this one was in my name.

In 1999 I received a call from ATF wanting to know what I did with that firearm. I told them I sold it! End of story, right? Nope, not at all.......

Now bear in mind that I was a state/federal gamewarden at the time. Not like I would "hide" anything...

ATF actually came to my house wanting to see my "records", (like the law requires it, lol). It turned into a major joke with ATF running around trying to figure out the chain of custody of this weapon.

The end result of why that they wanted it so bad was...... It was used in a shooting. The gun had gone though 4 different individuals in 8 yrs, plus one major law enforcement gun store. They (ATF) wanted to make sure that the weapon was purchased legally to begin with, if not the agent stated that all involved would be charged... What a joke....
    The time and 'man hours/dollars spent' must of been staggering...

So, yes, they do try and track down weapons.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by canemaker View Post
    ....ATF actually came to my house wanting to see my "records", (like the law requires it, lol).....
    I'm not sure of your situation as an officer in an organization like FTI, but as a common citizen, I'm not aware of any requirements to keep any records of the sale of a used firearm.

....It turned into a major joke with ATF running around trying to figure out the chain of custody of this weapon.

The end result of why that they wanted it so bad was...... It was used in a shooting. The gun had gone though 4 different individuals in 8 yrs, plus one major law enforcement gun store. They (ATF) wanted to make sure that the weapon was purchased legally to begin with, if not the agent stated that all involved would be charged... What a joke....

....So, yes, they do try and track down weapons.
    I'm sure it was frustrating for them. That's why I played out the scenario above like I did. They're really cut off at the groin. And I actually understand a legitimate law enforcement need to be able to track the chain of custody of firearms.

I also understand the distrust of the American public in tighter gun registration schemes.............

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The gun wasn't registered it was transfered to Sua Sponte then transferred back to Wally World. That's that nothing else. I'm pretty sure even Walmart can keep records straight.

The ATF doesn't know who has it until they come looking for the records of transfer (4473 form) that every FFL holder is required to maintain.....
    Does the seller inform the NCIC system of the firearm's serial number upon sale?

[quote=Murphy;302018]Sorry, this makes no sense.

The semi-auto AUG wasn't LEO in '91. that is correct...

Was it bought on your FFL and you transfered it to your self? No, as a private citizen..

What do you mean it was in your name, it is not a stamped gun. Simply as in " I bought the gun over the counter from a lic. ffl dealer

If you had ATF records, you must have still had your FFL, right? No, the company held the FFL, not me as an individual.

So a $2000 gun was transferred legally four times and used in a shooting by a legal owner. The ATF can only track legal transfers and they can only come look at your records if you are or were an FFL holder. I'm confused again and I wonder waht any of this has to do with a Marlin. and as a 20 + yr law enforcement officer I understand ATF can only come an look if you are a business and FFL holder, however it didn't keep them from coming to my house and wanting to speak with me concerning who I sold it to...

And yes, this has nothing to do with a marlin lever gun...just side tracked a moment, sorry...

And that was my whole point murphy...none of it made any sense...It was a very active company with great instructors, most LEO's. (no evil, covert, training org.) It was a private purchase weapon, hence no records needed. But ATF was being AFT. This was "It happened to me" post, nothing more. Just my one and only (non job) related contact with ATF...

Default Maybe too demanding

Maybe I'm just too demanding.
    As a prior service NCO and a current Army Officer who has served with 75th Ranger Regiment (twice..once as an enlisted soldier and once as a Platoon leader), 3rd Group Special Forces, and currently with 25th Infantry Division...I know what it means to have your life depend on your equipment.
    I could care less if it is a $5000 sniper rifle, or a $20 quick release for my rucksack...I demand that the products I buy work and work well. I know that Marlin has a good reputation for a quality rifle at an affordable price...but I'm glad I didn't take the rifle bear hunting (which is why I purchased it).

I'm sorry...that rifle was junk

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte 96 View Post
    I'm sorry...that rifle was junk
    That I can accept and believe. Sorry you didn't get a good one, but to their credit both Marlin and WeeWeeMart stood behind it and you got your money back. Like it's supposed to work.

The next one you pick up is likely to be a dandy. The odds are in your favor on that, based on all I have owned, shot, handled or heard about. Though it wouldn't be my first, second or third choice for actual bear hunting, it is a handy carry gun. Just not enough power and range for me on a hunt for big bears. Kind of a knockaround gun, like I said. I do things to all of mine that I wouldn't think of doing to a fine bolt gun. They accumulate lots of nicks, bangs and dings and no small amount of dirt, grunge and saltwater. And they keep on ticking.

Lots of folks use them for close quaters hunting, as I use mine, too. You might keep your eyes open for a good used one at a reduced price due to pre-applied nicks, bangs and dings, and you won't feel so bad about the price, or adding new "personality" of your own. Then I think you can grow to love the little rattle traps.

Does the seller inform the NCIC system of the firearm's serial number upon sale?
    No, the NIC's system is only told whether it is a long gun or hand gun. There is no information directly related to the specific gun exchanged. Also, this gun would have re-entered in the gun transactions log as being returned to the retailer. The paper trail would have eliminated the purchaser as the owner of the gun.
    EricL

There is no serial number on the NICS check just long gun or hand gun and no serial number can be obtained (legally) in this NICS check. ATF is then supposed to be only concerned about correct transfer from manufacturer/distributer/dealer/individual. There is no individual to individual transfer record required by ATF but of course some states require it especially for handguns.

To find if an individual has purchased (legally through an FFL holder) any gun they would have to locate the dealer who took possesion of the gun and look over his 4473 forms. We don't want any more than this.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

[quote=canemaker;302033]
    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Sorry, this makes no sense.

The semi-auto AUG wasn't LEO in '91. that is correct...

Was it bought on your FFL and you transfered it to your self? No, as a private citizen..

What do you mean it was in your name, it is not a stamped gun. Simply as in " I bought the gun over the counter from a lic. ffl dealer

If you had ATF records, you must have still had your FFL, right? No, the company held the FFL, not me as an individual.

So a $2000 gun was transferred legally four times and used in a shooting by a legal owner. The ATF can only track legal transfers and they can only come look at your records if you are or were an FFL holder. I'm confused again and I wonder waht any of this has to do with a Marlin. and as a 20 + yr law enforcement officer I understand ATF can only come an look if you are a business and FFL holder, however it didn't keep them from coming to my house and wanting to speak with me concerning who I sold it to...

And yes, this has nothing to do with a marlin lever gun...just side tracked a moment, sorry...

And that was my whole point murphy...none of it made any sense...It was a very active company with great instructors, most LEO's. (no evil, covert, training org.) It was a private purchase weapon, hence no records needed. But ATF was being AFT. This was "It happened to me" post, nothing more. Just my one and only (non job) related contact with ATF...
    Makes more sense. And to hear that the ATF is a pain and often test the limits of their jurisdiction is no surprise.

I guess we did kind of hijack this mans thread, I hope the Marlin situation gets worked out for him. Thanks for clearing things up for me.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Love mine.

You didn't say what model yours was.

Mine is the 1895MXLR stainless.

Love mine.

Did I say I love mine

Default Worked perfect

I guess we did kind of hijack this mans thread, I hope the Marlin situation gets worked out for him. Thanks for clearing things up for me.[/quote]

It worked out great...I got rid of a substandard gun and received all my money back...which I'll now use to fund my Kodiak hunt.

Thanks to Timothy Erickson....(Wal Mart store manager) he definitely understands customer service....which is sometimes mighty hard to find nowdays