Thread: Chitina dipnetting

Default Chitina dipnetting

So how much attention does everyone pay to the fishing report hotline from copper river charters/Chitina one-stop? Does it affect when you go?

The way I see it is if Hems makes a living by dropping folks off on the Copper and his hotline says don't come it sucks you got to believe he is telling the truth. He seems to have a good feel for what the river is going to do and how the fishing might be. Its not gospel but another piece of information you can use before dropping x amount of dollars on fuel to get there.

Thats about what I thought, but its so **** fun I am trying to ignore the "it sucks" report. I am new to dipping at Chitina and folks seem to whine about having to fish for 8-12 hours for their limit when it sucks. That seems pretty good to me as a newbie. I guess I am trying to feel out what the definition of "sucks" is. I can't wait to experience the "great" (and so I can whine later too).

Default mark is honest

I have known mark for a long time he knows the river better as well as anyone. He basis his report on the odds a person can catch their limit in 10 hours of fishing if he says it sucks save your gas money. Best bet wait for the upcoming bonus weeks.

I agree, I trust what Mark is saying. Like said before he knows the river better than anyone. He sees what people are harvisting so he should know. I totally go off his report. I wonder how much his truthfull reports hurt his business when it's been slow for the past month?

Where can I find this report you are referencing?

Default Report line

907-823-2200, last updated Wednesday...last I checked an hour ago

Sucks can be defined as 1 fish after 12 hours of netting. Great can be defined as 90 fish by three people in 4 hours. Last year was great.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    Sucks can be defined as 1 fish after 12 hours of netting. Great can be defined as 90 fish by three people in 4 hours. Last year was great.
    AWESOME is 97 fish in 45 minutes - taking 15 minutes or so to count the piles to make sure we weren't over limit, then having 120 by one hour 15 minutes (Party of 4). That's the best we've done in 16 years.

I would say SUCKS is 11 fish in 32 straight cold and rainy hours tied to a rock in the canyon for a party of three. That was my first year (and worst year) dipnetting, 16 years ago, and was probably as much due to poor timing as novice netting. As miserable as that was, I was hooked and have gone back every year since.

-Hiker
    "Happiness is a warm gun - bang bang, shoot shoot!"
    -Lennon/McCartney