Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Halibut Weight Molds

Default Halibut Weight Molds

Looking for where to buy a 32oz Halibut weight mold, perferably the rectangle ones. Think they have some molds at Sportsmanís but not sure which ones. Anyone have a recommendation or web site?

Thanks

Do a search on Ebay for rock cod weights that's where I got mine.

Dittos on e-bay. The molds are made by hilts, but run close to $50. I picked up a 4# cod sinker mold off of e-bay for about $25 a few years back. I use that and a 16 oz teardrop sinker, that I modified to make leadheads as well as sinkers.

With the 4# cod mold I can make some monsters for k-bay, and just cut them off for lighter weights and re-melt the scraps.

B&J has some. Sportsman carries mold, but I don't know if I saw the cod mold.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Go to the Railroad Tracks for Free Weights!

Forget lead.............way too expensive these days.

You can find all sorts of heavy dense metal pieces laying all over the place along the railroad tracks............it's all abandoned junk but drill a hole and you get a free weight

Default Lead

Where can one buy lead in bulk to make jig heads and weights?
    Marc Theiler

I just go around to different places and ask if I can have there tire weights. I got a few places now that saves 5 gal buckets for me. Talk about a money saver.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

We got hundreds of pounds of lead (balast) out of a friends saltwater sport fisher when we converted it to freshwater. I think there were a couple of dozen ingots used as balast in the boat.

Default Alaska Grey

Hey, how do you go about finding tire weights. I would venture to guess at tire stores or shops, but what exactly would you ask for and will they always be lead? Do you need pure lead in order to make a weight? I don't know much about it but I like the idea of making my own weights. Let me know more if you have the time, thanks!
    Marc Theiler

Default Tire weights

Tire weights = tire store. Yes they are lead with a little other metals in them. Could be anatomy and some tin. They melt at about the same temp. sometimes lower. They can be used for bullets, sinkers and other items.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default tire weights

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Tire weights = tire store. Yes they are lead with a little other metals in them. Could be anatomy and some tin. They melt at about the same temp. sometimes lower. They can be used for bullets, sinkers and other items.
    THATS WHAT I BUILD ALL OF MY SINKERS FROM MOST SMALL TIRE SHOPS WILL GIVE YOU THEM THEY TOLD ME THEY THROW THEM AWAY SO IT KEEPS THEM OUT OF THE LAND FILL

Default I will cast for you

If you supply the lead, or wheel wieghts, I will cast 32 oz round or 48 oz rectangles for 1/2 the lead. rbuck

Default sandcast.. plaster..

You can make your own molds as well. Ive seen it done in a coffee can full of wet sand, just indent the shape you want and pour the lead in and add an eyelet. Also, you can get the weight you want and coat it with release compound, vaseline will work in this case, dip it in a cup full of plaster, then band saw the mold around the sinker, pop it apart, and now you have a mold. Just drill a hole large enough to pour the lead into and add the eyelet.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by theilercabin View Post
    Hey, how do you go about finding tire weights. I would venture to guess at tire stores or shops, but what exactly would you ask for and will they always be lead? Do you need pure lead in order to make a weight? I don't know much about it but I like the idea of making my own weights. Let me know more if you have the time, thanks!
    Durning springs/fall when people switch out there studden tires Most people get the alligned. tire shops will take off the old ones and put them in a can. I just go and ask if i can have them. Allot of places will tell you no, but you will find some that will. Reason allot of them say no is a HAZMAT issue. a 5 gallon bucket I get around #150 pound. Melted down and cleaned I come out with around #120..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

How do you guys go about melting the lead? I'm guessing you need a special furnace/foundry?

Quote Originally Posted by Borg View Post
    How do you guys go about melting the lead? I'm guessing you need a special furnace/foundry?
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...362&hasJS=true

Default cheaper foundry

I just use a Coleman camp stove (white gas) with an old cast iron skillet. I use an old tablespoon to scrape the slag off. Be sure the work area is well ventilated.

White gas stove will normally melt more faster than the one pictured. Find a big scoop for the bigger weights as you will want to pour them all in a single pour to prevent crappy molds.

Quote Originally Posted by AKFishOn View Post
    White gas stove will normally melt more faster than the one pictured. Find a big scoop for the bigger weights as you will want to pour them all in a single pour to prevent crappy molds.

BINGO!!!!!!
    Best way to do it. You have to do it where you have good air circulation
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I used to cast bullets on a grand scale. A few things to keep in mind. If you get ANY water in the molten lead you will have an eruption like a small explosion of lead! Also preheat your mold a bit if its a metal mold as it will help get rid of the wrinkles. ALWAYS wear eye protection when working with moltel lead!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast