Thread: Atigun to Sag river float hunt.

Default Atigun to Sag river float hunt.

Has anyone ever done this hunt? I would really like to talk to someone who has done this hunt or has any information on it. I am thinking about taking my canoe down the atigun river to the sag river for some carabou. Maybee even a raft if I have to. Just wondering if anyone has any info they would like to share.
    Thanks,
    Frank

Default Danger Will Robinson

You have to go around Atigun Gorge, This is not something you can run in a conoe or even a raft. You must portage that section, if you miss the take out your totally screwed.

Default Atigun to Sag

You should contact Steve of Papa Bear Adventures (907) 543-5275 . He made this trip a couple of times and told me the gorge was a wild dangerous ride in a raft.

I have never rafted it but I have walked up the atigun to do a Caribou hunt and it is actually a pretty quick 5 miles compared to other places. I talked to a guy up at Happy Valley who ran it in a hard sided canoe when the water was low. He said it was insane, he lost all of his gear and nearly lost his life and would never do it again.

[quote=futurerancher;301174]I have never rafted it but I have walked up the atigun to do a Caribou hunt and it is actually a pretty quick 5 miles compared to other places. quote]
    i'm guessing you meant "down the Atigun"

i know a friend that has floated it ....did it with someone that had done it a few times the gorge is very bad. is only for very experienced rafters. from what i have heard it is not something that can be portaged easily if at all

upper sag can e pretty wild as well i came up sag in my jet boat got into 4-5 foot standing waves right as i got to first mountains not much above slope mtn. DOT station.

try a google search on atigan gorge
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Hey everyone thanks for the heads up! I will be sending some people PM's about walking in and doing this hunt.

The most exploring i had done in that area was climbed up the knob and glassed the river down about 2-3 miles. That was the most exploring I have done. Thank you guys!

I ran the Atigun/Sag in 02. I posted the story here. Search here for it.

If you and all of your partners are not a highly experienced in whitewater do not attempt this trip.

It is runnable but extremely difficult. The primary dangers are getting stuck in mid-river and cutting your raft open. The Atigun is shallow and strewn with boulders, and littered with sharp shale.

While the Atigun is furious but brief the Sag is the one that gets you. From the confluence it's about 27 river miles to the Slope Mtn DOT station. The first 15 or so are pleasant with a bump here and there, but the last 10-12 are nearly continuous rapids--Class III with a Class IV section just above Slope Mtn. (of course this depends on water flows)

It's one of those classic traps that looks like a good idea on paper.