Thread: Is there a launch on Kasilof

Default Is there a launch on Kasilof

Is there a lower launch for a 18' aluminum??
    I would like to try and dip with the wife!

Thanks for any info!
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

I'm sure someone more knowledgable will help you out here.............but I think the boat lauch got taken down, stolen, used for something else? I heard you have to put in at Kenai and drive down.

Mainly just hitting your thread to keep it active. Good luck getting a good answer.

Default Thanks

I was affraid of that!

Thanks
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

For the past few years I have always launched my 18ft from the beach. The sand can be a little soft but I I have 4whl drive truck and I take some 4 wheeler ramps (6ft long) and so when the one set of tires falls off the others pick up. Works for me have not lost the boat, truck, or trailer to the tides yet (fingers crossed). I use the south beach. No ramps that I know of there, and I donít think I would try it with a heavy boat we have help a few others out down there that have been stuck, take straps, come-a-long and some timber if you can, having a wheeler w/ ya works wonders.

1. I used to launch my 17 foot drift boat with my 700cc ATV (King Quad) 4-wheeler on the south side, no problem, never got stuck. Just look for packed sand, avoid the loose sandy-rocky areas.
    2. If you talk to the cannery (at least I think it's a cannery?) on the north side where all the commercial boats go in and out, they might let you launch. They said we could if we gave them some cash, don't remember how much. They don't have any official policy, they can say yes or no, but they said we could for money last time and I think it was like 20 dollars, but we ended up launching with the 4-wheeler on the other side anyway.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default may I

interrupt for a minute - ?

Is there public access below copper campground for bank fishing on the Kas?

There is a great, state-built boat launch on the north side of the Kasilof river mouth. Quite a few years ago, well after the state built it and we all used it regularly, a native guy showed up and said he used to pick berries on that land with his granny when he was a child and he wanted his land back. The state gave it to him without so much as an objection. The boat launch has been on private property ever since. A reasonable person would allow public use and just charge a fee, but no. They just gate the place off and let it rot while the tax-payers who built that launch are just kicked out.

So, to answer your question, there are a couple private (fee-based) boat launches on the lower Kasilof. The closest to the mouth is nothing but a mud ramp that I wouldn't even think of trying to put in from. It's mostly used for drift boats to pull out after running down from the bridge. You use a long rope to drag the boat up to firm ground, then winch it back onto the trailer.

There's another launch up the river a bit (like a mile or so) on the south side that we've also used to pull out drift boats. Never launched from there, but it's a better ramp that could probably handle a small boat going in. It's part of a private RV park, but I can't recall the name of the place as I haven't drifted the Kasilof in several years now.

Otherwise, it's a 12 mile trip from the Kenai mouth to the Kasilof mouth. If the Inlet is in decent condition, it's not a bad run at all. Use a current chart to avoid rocks and obstructions.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Quote Originally Posted by JOAT View Post
    There is a great, state-built boat launch on the north side of the Kasilof river mouth. Quite a few years ago, well after the state built it and we all used it regularly, a native guy showed up and said he used to pick berries on that land with his granny when he was a child and he wanted his land back. The state gave it to him without so much as an objection. The boat launch has been on private property ever since. A reasonable person would allow public use and just charge a fee, but no. They just gate the place off and let it rot while the tax-payers who built that launch are just kicked out.

So, to answer your question, there are a couple private (fee-based) boat launches on the lower Kasilof. The closest to the mouth is nothing but a mud ramp that I wouldn't even think of trying to put in from. It's mostly used for drift boats to pull out after running down from the bridge. You use a long rope to drag the boat up to firm ground, then winch it back onto the trailer.

There's another launch up the river a bit (like a mile or so) on the south side that we've also used to pull out drift boats. Never launched from there, but it's a better ramp that could probably handle a small boat going in. It's part of a private RV park, but I can't recall the name of the place as I haven't drifted the Kasilof in several years now.

Otherwise, it's a 12 mile trip from the Kenai mouth to the Kasilof mouth. If the Inlet is in decent condition, it's not a bad run at all. Use a current chart to avoid rocks and obstructions.
    Pretty much impossible to launch a powerboat at Kasilof Cabins. The ramp we built there about 7-8 years back was NOT designed to handle anything but a flat, rockered bottom boat. Afew people have slid small Zodiacs down the mud ... so that's doable, but have fun

Cohoe Cove is the next ramp referenced upstream. Powerboats are not allowed to launch there.

You can launch at the state ramp at the highway bridge, it's roughly 7 miles downriver to the mouth. Plenty of water for passage if you're careful. Please be courteous to the traditional, season-long users of the river (thus the Cohoe Cove restriction) and idle through the drifters

If you launch at the bridge and go down please post when you are going to do it. I would love to watch that journey! I don't know the river near as good as Bob but from my expriences on that river it would be fun to watch, especially the return journey.

Thanks for refreshing the names of those spots... Cohoe Cove is the place I've pulled out from several times, but wasn't aware they had a motor restriction.

As for running down from the bridge, I don't see that as being such a big deal with a smaller boat. I've drifted it many times and there's plenty of open water available. The return trip would be easier since you're going uphill/upstream. You can actually see what you're getting into and go slower when you're running upriver. It's the down river trip that hides the obstructions when the water piles up in front of them and you have little time to react. Heck, I've run Naptown rapids a few times with a small motorboat and that wasn't very difficult at all... at least going up through them. It was the coming back down that was tricky and requires turning upriver and staging in several spots. Compared to that, the Kasilof is nothing. There are some locals who run it pretty regular with jets.

That said, I would choose to put in at Kenai and run down the inlet over running the river. But then I'm running a much larger boat.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default take out tricky

I put in at the bridge boat launch two days ago. Ran down and dipped by the mouth. The commercial guys were out so fishing kinda sucked (only two reds) but was a decent day anyway. The put in was ok but its a tricky take out if you are running a smaller boat and motor. The launch ramp has you coming up river at an angle while trying to get the boat on the trailer and the river is fairly swift in that part. I'd get up close then the current would push the side of the boat and drift me downstream. I finally had to gun it and have a rope ready to through my wife. Its also kind of shallow so gravel kept getting sucked up on the bottom of the jet and would lose power. I personally wouldn't do that option again. I'd try the beach like the other guy in the post above.

Rick