View Poll Results: What footwear do you wear for a float hunt?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Neoprene chest waders

0 0%
  • Breathable chest waders

17 34.00%
  • Neoprene waist waders

1 2.00%
  • Breathable waist waders

12 24.00%
  • Neoprene Hip boots

6 12.00%
  • Rubber Hip Boots

12 24.00%
  • Other

2 4.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: float hunt footwear

Default float hunt footwear

What do you prefer for your float hunting footwear. Please share the make and model, and if you are inclinded, the logic or story behind your choice.

Default I always wear

hip boots, never know how deep it's going to be when you step out, especially if you're in the back of the canoe or raft.

I've used rubber hip boots on 2 different floats but am considering going to the breathable hip or waist waders. The rubber boots tend to get hot if your in them all day floating on a river/creek and if you fall in on the first day like someone I know they take some time to dry out.

Default Worn Out

After being used on 6 hunts, my neoprene, waist high waders from Cabelas are about worn out. I'm considering breatheable, waist high waders but I want someone to convince me they will last.

Why waders instead of hippers? They keep you dry in places that hippers won't. It's often just as wet hunting as floating and that's where waders work better. OK, they are heavier than boots & do get damp. However most rivers we float have lots of "beaver" wood for drying and smelling like a wood fire is better than the BO after 6 or more days. Besides, the moose don't seem to mind.

So it's some kind of waist high waders for me.

I wear breathable chest waders. They are more comfortable. Rubber is too hot. Better in the cold, but some fleece under the breathable works great. I am not the guy to convince you they will last- I buy a new pair at least every other year after a full season of fishing and hunting as they leak-its typically the neoprene booties that do it, and all the shoo-goo in China don't stop it. I buy the less than $100 pairs from Freddies or Walmart as my buddies with the $$$ ones last no longer. On the hot days I just wear old sneakers.

Default Other

I wear breathable hip waders
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Waders

Breathable chest waders!! I learned the hard way with hip boots?! You fill them up once and they are wet the rest of the trip & so are your feet!! +you only need a good rain jacket and your set for rain don't need rain pants

Breathable chest waders for sure. I have had neoprene chest waders and have had rubber hip boots in the past. Breathable chest waders are far superior IMO. I use them hunting and fishing and find them far more comfortable, they weigh less and take up less space. Like stated before, they eliminate the need for rain gear lowers and are easy to regulate body temp and insulation requirements .

What happens if you go overboard in your waders? From what I have read it is recomended that you just wear knee high rubber boots... Then again, last time I went I was wearing rubber hip waders....

Default Breathable chestwaders and

a pair of rubber boots and hiking boots. You need raingear anyhow. As far as going over you need to wear a belt over the waders to slow the water from getting in, besides that is where your side arm is strapped on. A few buddies of mine went on a float and capsized their raft in some nasty whitewater. Luckilly they all lived but hte raft was half a mile downstream with two guys on each side of the river. I guess the point was wear a belt with a side arm and a ziplock in yer pocket with a lighter and tinder.

Default Breathables

The breathable waist and chest waders are leading the pack. Just wonder if you prefer the kind with rubber boots attached or the over boots.

Default Extra Tuff

Hip boots will kill you guys! I have had them fill up with water and could not get them off as i went under, ****ty way to go! Extra tuff boots will do fine but you better know how deep it is for sure! Other wise I choose neopream hip boots.

What happens if you go overboard in your waders? From what I have read it is recomended that you just wear knee high rubber boots... Then again, last time I went I was wearing rubber hip waders....
    Wear your PFD ! Wear a belt ! Two basic lifesaving rules, to be obeyed always. But, some people just don't care .

I use neoprene hip boots. It its deep enough for waist or chest waders I don't have to get off the raft, it floats. The mornings are always cold. Drifting all day in rubber hippers my feet get cold. If I get too hot I roll them down, if it rains I put on rain gear.

Extra Tuffs. As stated, you will at least need rain gear as well. ExT's are THE Alaskan boot for a reason. Comfortable, can easily roll down, quik and easy to dry, etc.
    you will balk at the price at first, but just bite the bullet, buy a pair, and you'll be hooked.

neo knee high boots, they r light enough not to have to change them if you go on a stalk, and you don't risk gettin in water you should not be in cause you know the limits

stocking foot breathable waist high or chest high is the only way to go IMHO