Thread: up in smoke

Default up in smoke

Well, one of my cherished fall hunting dreams just went up in smoke for '08! The one where I would climb the hills on the South end of Eklutna Lake in early October, moose and bow permit in hand, and camp out in the succulent berry patches. In my daydream, I glass the alders for moose, the berries for rolly polly fat fall bears, and end up finding either one or the other, depending on energy levels when I'm in my dream. In the best case scenario I've dropped an enormous bull moose and a curious 7' blackie comes over to check us out and eats a little carbon stick. Of course the pack back down never enters my daydream!

My spring bear baiting schedule just turned upside down, too. I won't be able to hunt either one of the stations I had out this year .

A week or so ago my wife and I heard and felt a loud thump outside, and I investigated, but never found anything. We just figured the cats had done something, and forgot about it. A few days later, I discovered a trash bag in the corner of my yard, and chalked it off to just something weird. (I know my observation powers; I wasn't at all surprised that I might not have seen something buried by snow until 2 months later) Well, the next day we discovered an open, now emptied cooler, and a distinct trail leading off into the woods. HMMMMMM.....

So we started staying up a little later and watching our yard, and about 2 am Wednesday I see a blackie strolling up the driveway, heading over to the burn barrels. AHA! that explains that thump on the deck, and the trash bag that had been removed from beside the door and transferred to the edge of the pad...

BOOM! Fall blackie and spring bait plans go up in smoke!
    Aw well: I'd do it again in a heartbeat- not claiming DLP on this one! 320#, 6'7" square (7'0 nose to tail, 6'2" toenail to toenail), dry sow, with no rubs. And I just figured it would be a rascally teenager snooping around!

I backtracked her trail this morning. She had several lookout posts where she could watch the house. I think she'd wait for activity to cease before coming in to visit. It made my skin crawl a little- somewhat eerie!

We're rendering the fat- almost 50# of the stuff, and this from an early summer/late spring bear! Turned out I didn't need to wait for the fall to find a rolly polly bear!

I'm trying to feel bad for you.
    I really am.
    But it ain't working!!!!
    Congrats
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Out of curiosity, you said you are rendering the fat. What do you do with the fat?
    Loving God, Loving People, Loving America--Serving All Three

Default rendering fat

We're pretty new to the game, but so far we've used it for everything that calls for Crisco. Its a very clear, odorless lard, but contains beneficial protein that vegetable lards don't. It makes the best doughnuts, french fries and pie crusts in the world!

Default pictures

Well, here's the pictures, such as they are. I didn't wait till daylight for pictures: I wanted to start butchering ASAP- better meat quality is always my primary goal.
    Attached Images Attached Images