Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seward Silvers

Default Seward Silvers

i'm hearing rumors about silvers showing up out at pony cove. has anyone been out in the last week or so? i know the early silvers are smaller but they sure are a blast when they get stacked up out there. i think it's time to drown a few herring!

They were all over the place last weekend out at and around Pony Cove. We went out of the bay for Lings and Halibut and got our limits of both on Sat. Sunday we played around with the silvers for a short amount of time and everyone was catching them. However we didn't do as well as most because we weren't really prepared to target silvers.

Default Last Weekend

Went to Pony on 5/6 July. Fishing was slow, but everyone was catching a few fish. Heard there were lots of pinks too, but we only caught one. Wound up with 8 silvers and a pink for two rods over two days. Should be ramping up!

Chris

thanks for the input, i'll be down there this weekend and thru tuesday. have you ever kept your boat in the harbor in transient parking? how much does it cost? i have done it a couple times in whittier. it is a little spendy, but when i have guests up and i'm playing "free guide service" it is nice to not have to mess with loading and relaunching in the a.m.

Transient parking is around .51 per foot plus some taxes. I called the Harbor masters office a day or so ago and they said for my boat (26 ft plus another 2 for the transom) it would be about $16. I will be down there this weekend too.

I'll be there this weekend, too. Water doesn't look to bad so far.

I am heading up next summer and am wondering how you fish silvers is seward? what are the best colors and such. I know some people mooch them with herring on a jig head. what colors are the best and how do spinners work?

Trolling with a doger and plastic sqiud slid over a double hook rig with a half a herring on the squid works great.

A green hoochie with blob of herring on the hook seems to work fairly well with a 2 oz banana sinker about 30" form the hoochie. Also a buzz bomb tends to be pretty effective.

Can you catch silvers from shore? Or any freshwater streams that you can recommend in the area?

Default Yup, they're in

I was out at the Chaval narrows yesterday and my boat limited. There were plenty of silvers with a fair number of pinks as well. Mooching at about 40' worked well us.

Side note: There has been a lot of talk about GULP bait on the forum. We tried it yesterday and nobody on the boat got a single bite with the stuff.

Default Report from Friday and Saturday

I went out both Friday and Saturday and fished Pony and Cheval narrows with success. The fish did not seem be in any one spot, but pretty well spread out. Deeper seemed a bit better, maybe 50' or so. Both mooching and slow trolling worked well for us. We got 6 on the first day, and about 15+ on the second. We lost at least twice this amount, since I was the only on board each day that had fished here before so there was a bit of learning for everyone. If the weather is good enought o get out there, I think you will catch fish. There was a big swell coming in on Saturday, but the island blocked it so we only had to deal with it on the way out and on the way back in.

Jim

Default Silvers

Fished Pony Cove on Sat. for about 3 hours w/ about 50 other boats. Landed 6 and lost 6 plus tossed back 2 pinks. Every boat seemed to be doing well. Tried the Gulp bait too. Only one fish caught on it. Waste of time imo.

Like usual I wasn't geared up for the silvers but while I was down there yesterday and today butt fishing everybody was talking about the silvers that were everywhere. Someone at the camp said you can't help but hit them. Trolling and chumming was good but the chumming was better. I saw four jump around my boat in less than a minute in Day harbor. When will I learn?
    Oh we had a bad gas connection on one tank so I brought home a trophy size chicken.

Default Cheval narrows

was pretty hot Saturday. We got 19 out of 4 of us, by both Mooching and trolling. 2 youngun's (21) couldn't get the knack of mooching so we trolled and they hooked up. Probalby didn't help that they were hung over and sick most of the day, otherwisw we coiuld have gotten our limits!
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default Cheval narrows

was pretty hot Saturday. We got 19 out of 4 of us, by both Mooching and trolling. 2 youngun's (21) couldn't get the knack of mooching so we trolled and they hooked up. Probalby didn't help that they were hung over and sick most of the day, otherwise we coiuld have gotten our limits! MOst everyone was catching and they were jumping. I think the jumpers were mostly pinks, although we didn't hook into any pinks our selves

See why I'm hanging around here. I need all the help I can get. I meant mooching. You can chum all day but it don't help without a line. those were some pretty good rolls out there today. I got a little woozy myself.

Friday - Cheval Narrrows, 4-9 pm, two people, 12 silvers in the box.
    Saturday - Cheval Narrows and a little of Pony Cove, 9 am-8 pm, 4 people, 24 in the box.
    Sunday - Cheval Narrows, 730 am-130 pm, two people, 10 silvers in the box.

Methods used included mooching with 3-oz orange banana weights with red 4.0 Gamakatsu (sp?) hooks, with small piece of herring; same setup as above, but trolling at idle speed (~2.5 mph); mooching and trolling with crippled herring jig with small piece of herring. Seemed to get more hookups trolling, and caught as many fish as those who were using downriggers or divers with flashers (what a pain). About 30-40 feet was about right. Caught several pinks, too, that were released.

The silvers this year seem very large compared to previous years. Caught a couple that I thought might be smallish kings, but were just hugh silvers.

If you're trying to save fuel, I suggest you try Cheval Narrows before Pony Cove. I fished both and they seemed about the same for frequency of fish caught.

Default Silvers

We were out on Saturday at Cheval Narrows and got 30 for 5 of us. Went out Sunday morning and got 9 buts. Left at 1:00 to come back home.

Queen of Kings - I saw your boat out there amongst the hordes on Saturday.

Randy

Default BullWink

What is your boat name? your call name? I will be there every weekedn starting after this one through august. Can't go this weekend, should be good fishing though!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast