Thread: Can Am

Default Can Am

A question for the experienced. I'm new to this and I'm considering buying a Can Am 650.

Based on what all of you have read and experienced, are these good machines? know of any problems, etc.

Thanks...

I don't have the 650, but I do have the '07 XT 800 Outlander. Only problem that I had was the ignition went out on mine. Why, I don't know, but as you probably already know, the Can-Am's come with a 3-year warranty.

Price is a turn-off, but you pay for the best. And you might as well get the XT package so you can get the winch (already installed), brush guard and the "better" tires. Also, get some hand and thumb warmers. You'll thank yourself later if you like to ride in the winter.

Also, plenty of power. That won't be an issue.

I really don't like where the shifter is at with it being on the right side. I prefer it on the left, like the Arctic Cat's (don't like to have to take the thumb off the throttle ).

The automatic diff-lock seems to work just fine. I personally like having the diff-lock being manual, so I can decide when to use/need it, instead of the other way around.

One of my co-workers has two Can-Ams. a 500 and a 650. He and his son are VERY agressive riders but the machines have not held up too well. Several cracks to the frames and numerous trips back to the dealer for welding and reinforcing. $3600 in repairs in three years. If you search some web sites you will find that they (can-am) know of this problem but have not went to a stronger frame. The square tube steel is thinner then other brands. Check for your self. My buddy does like the engines and drive systems - they have been flawless. Your money - you decide.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiterak View Post
    One of my co-workers has two Can-Ams. a 500 and a 650. He and his son are VERY agressive riders but the machines have not held up too well. Several cracks to the frames and numerous trips back to the dealer for welding and reinforcing. $3600 in repairs in three years. If you search some web sites you will find that they (can-am) know of this problem but have not went to a stronger frame. The square tube steel is thinner then other brands. Check for your self. My buddy does like the engines and drive systems - they have been flawless. Your money - you decide.
    It's a well known problem, as with overheating in the can ams. Most people put on aftermarket metal skidplates as soon as they buy the machines to get around the weak frame issues. Low ground clearance is another issue CA owners complain about.

Low Ground clearance? I have a Honda Rubicon and a 2007 Can Am 650 XT. There is no comparison in ground clearance, my Can Am stock had 12" my Honda has like 8" might not seem like a lot but it makes a huge difference. The Can Am is faster rides super smooth and gets better gas mileage way better gas mileage. It was a little more money but the Honda will be going away next season and I will be buying another Can Am. Its kinda like comparing a Pinto to a Cadillac.

Quote Originally Posted by Akonthefly View Post
    Low Ground clearance? I have a Honda Rubicon and a 2007 Can Am 650 XT. There is no comparison in ground clearance, my Can Am stock had 12" my Honda has like 8" might not seem like a lot but it makes a huge difference. The Can Am is faster rides super smooth and gets better gas mileage way better gas mileage. It was a little more money but the Honda will be going away next season and I will be buying another Can Am. Its kinda like comparing a Pinto to a Cadillac.
    Who was comparing can am to honda, funny

12" stock sounds like a lot on your can am. Over on the Highlifter can am board they say a little over 10" stock and a lift will get you to 12". But I don't own one, just looking at them I could see they are low but I never measured

Honda has the worst ground clearance of any ATV.. Cat, Suzuki, Polaris and Yamaha have it all over the Honda in the area of ground clearance.

I've got the Can Am 800 Max and love it. Ground clearance seems to be higher than average as I do not drag where others obviously have. I don't baby it, and so far it has treated me very well. If you don't want to spend the money don't drive one to compare it as the performance will ruin it. Do get skids as I have not yet and the frame has a couple of dimples. I have not had overheating issues yet, but while riding Petersville (nearly a 90 mile trip) when it was 83 degrees my butt got fairly warm. Oh, you'll need want new and bigger tires immediately so you might budget for those as well, or do as I did and have them throw those in on the deal. I'll more than likely buy another for my wife when I can.

One of my co-workers has two Can-Ams. A 500 and a 650. He and his son are agressive riders but in three years he has paid over $3600 to have his frames repaired, reinforced and welded. They have been in the shop a lot. The engines and drive system hold up well to the abuse they put them thru but the frames are WEAK. Can-Am knows this is a problem area but has not felt the need to fix this area. Check the thickness of the frame material for your self. All other major mahufactures frame material is thicker and some are better reinforced.

Default BRP is Good!

We run 10-15 BRP/Outlanders/Can Am's in our tour and rental company. We made the switch three years ago and started with an 800 XT, 500 both single and MAX and 400 single and MAX. The 800 was WAY more than enough and overkill IMO!

We then went to 650XT's and more 500's and 400's (2007)

This summer we went with an 650 XT, a couple 500's and several EFI 400's. The EFI made all the difference in the world and these little 400's have still more power then most 500's.

Here is a re-cap of my thoughts:
    1. 800's are overkill but FUN!!!!!!
    2. 650's are PLENTY for anyone and will run with any other brand 700 or 800!
    3. 500's are the best all arround
    4. 400's EFI (2008) are the best bang for the buck and will out perform most other brands 500's.
    We have used Polaris and Yamaha for our operation and it is worth spending the extra $$ for the better equipment (BRP). NO mechanical problems in three years on a fleet of 10-15 units that get about 1,500 to 2,000 miles a year.

They DONT burn fuel at ALL! We go to KNIK glacier and back on about 2 gals of gas. Our POLARIS is empty and takes a full tank in the same trip.

We had two frames twist last year and one so far this year. I would agree that they are weaker than others, but the renters all MESSED up and wrecked pretty bad.

Changing the frame is easy and everything bolts together and is not too hard at all.

I hope these thoughts help!

Chris

Alaska Snow Safaris
    Alaska All Terrain
    Glacier Jet Alaska

Thanks everyone for chiming in with all of the tips. I did get a Can-Am 650 a few days ago. I have about 150 miles on it so far and it seems to be a good machine. I'll keep my eyes open for frame problems. I'm conservative with riding; my crazy wheel standing days are 30 years past.

The odometer/insturnment computer had a problem on the first day. the dealer just recieved a replacement and I will get that fixed with no hassels.

I'm in a small town and it has a Polaris dealer and a Can am dealer. The Polaris dealer's salesman acted like he could care less, he looked like an x-con that just got out of prison after doing 20 for armed robbery.

The Cam am dealer calls me every two days asking how the 650 is doing, and if they can help in any way. For me, this makes a big difference. My gut feeling is that the Can am dealer will instantly jump on any problem I have. My gut tells me that the Polaris dealer would rip me off when possible.

When the snow hits the ground I will go to the Can am dealer for my snow machine. a Ski-Doo, and the Polaris dealer will never know he missed the sale or why he missed it. Thanks again.