Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Helping a kid out.

Default Helping a kid out.

I had a student in class this past year as an 8th grader that was nothing short of a fishing fool. Every day was he would be outside my door before I had consumed my morning coffee. Believe me, I need my coffee every morning during the school year. There were always questions about fishing techniques, types of fish, lure, and fly choices. The kid wants nothing more than to fish, fish, and then fish some more. As the year progressed he started tying flies and bringing them in by the handful. I was greeted daily with the same question: "Do you think this will work?" Some of his creations looked pretty good. Others, not so good. I appreciated his enthusiasm for fishing.

Well, as the year progressed he spent more and more time focusing on his "addiction" and less on his studies. He went through a very, very rough patch in the spring with the sudden loss of his mother over spring break and his interest in school really took a seat at the back burner, which I can understand. Third quarter really was tough on him. We met with his grandparents and set up an action plan to get him back on track. I pulled him aside after the meeting and offered him a deal. I told him that if he kept his grades up in all four of his core classes, I would take he and his grandfather out on the Sound for a shrimping and fishing expedition. That evening I received a call from his grandfather at home. He wanted to know if the offer was genuine. I told him that I could see the potential in him and I thought that this may spark his performance. I mentioned to the student that there was one major caveat. There would be no fish talk until he had his daily assignments completed to the best of his ability.

The year came to an end and the kid pulled it off. He pulled a solid B in my science class and did well in his others thanks to the support of his grandparents. The trip was on. We left Whittier Monday morning with both he an his grandparents,dropped the shrimp pots, and headed into the rain for the fishing grounds. The rain subsided and the baits hit the water. The first spot was a dud, but as we dropped at the next spot, we were into fish immediately.

Here is a picture of his first halibut.

We proceeded to catch a variety of rockfish, greenling, lingcod, and more flatfish. All firsts for him.

Happy kid! The smile says it all.

We headed back to the shrimp pots and pulled about 8 gallons of spots. The feast was on!

Tired fisherman.

Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default a couple more

Here is the big fish of the trip caught by his grandfather.

One of the family.

This was a great trip. New friendships were established and some great memories were made.

Bravo!! That is simply aweome. I don't know that kid or you, but thank you very much. Some teachers and people in general are worth thier weight in gold. You are one of em. You might have just changed that kids life.

Thanks again.

Mike.

Between the Willapa Rivers, United States

Default Bravo and well one

When I was a 7 year ol kid I had an uncle take me trout fishing on some unnamed creek in a deep canyon during a trip to California.The strenuous hike in,the misty fog,and the hungry trout started me on many adventures that have lasted a lifetime.Your taking that kid out with his grandparents is admirable,courageous,and has created for him new perspectives on life an sharing it with others.Share our passion with the little ones.TAKE A KID FISHING.

Thanks for the kind words, Mike. My Dad taught up here for 25 years and used to bring some of his students that were having trouble in and out of school along on our trips to the Russian River. Some of these kids were born and raised up here and had never fished a day in their lives. I figured I coulkd do the same. This was a great trip!

Default Well done

Job well done. You can't put a price on either of the two things you did for this boy. Congrats.

Default Great Post!

Its great to hear stories like that one. Very nice to hear that somebody was there to motivate him when it was needed. Great looking fish too!

Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/growden1

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Kudos, spoiled one. Whatever you get paid, it isn't enough .

Seeing your efforts turned into success had to be a great feeling though.

You've made a difference in that kid's life that will be felt for a long time.

Default Awesome

I'd love to take some other kids out for the experience. I tell my kids everytime where out, how fortunate we are that we can do these things when many have never had the chance. If only my boat was bigger, like yours. With 5 kids, Im already packed in like a can of sardines, especially at bedtime on the boat.

Kudos to you Spoiled One!!!!

And OMG is that the elusive PWS halibut that I see!!!! Please tell me that that was a very rare occurance. Ive burned too many drums of gas looking for them and still havent landed one in PWS, totally jealous.
    2006 22ft Defiance 220EX
    150 HP Yamaha 4-Stroke
    Call Sign - "Defiance"

Well done!
    You know you have created a monster now, and a life long fishing buddy!

Thanks for the kind words, all. They are a great, generous family. I can see this becoming an annual trip. They will all be talking about this trip for a long time for sure. We will have to try and one up it next season.

Arctic Hunter, the halibut are there, you just have to find them. Check your PM's. Where you find bait you will find halibut...usually.

Pete
    Last edited by spoiled one; 07-10-2008 at 13:55. Reason: fat fingered the keys

Spoiled One, thank you being one who can see beyond the external manifestations and get to the heart of your student. Hopefully, we'll be reading about your student, making a difference in someone else's life.

Keep up the good work, we need more teachers like you; in and out of the classroom.
    Last edited by jsdobson; 07-10-2008 at 21:22. Reason: grammar

Thumbs up Awesome thread

Great job and well done. I love reading these kind of stories.

Great Job and Thank you!!!!! Back in 1984 my teacher took me out in PWS to pull shrimp pots and look for a blackie to shoot.I had just moved here the year before. I could not believe how beautiful it was and how lucky I felt to have that opportunity.I have never forgot that trip or that teacher. What an impact he had on my life.I have been going to the Sound now in my own boat for about 13 years. Speaking from expierence, that lucky young man will charish those memories forever. Thanks for your story.

Smile Awesome Pete...

Fishing trips have a way of staying fresh in our minds better than some other things! I imagine that trip will stay with that kid for his whole life!
    Hey Pete, by the way, my grades aren't too good and ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Fishing trips have a way of staying fresh in our minds better than some other things! I imagine that trip will stay with that kid for his whole life!
    Hey Pete, by the way, my grades aren't too good and ...
    I know, Jim, I know. We leave on the 24th. I am not sure I can get a pass for when you are up here. Next season is will be much less hectic. I still have a 10x20 storage unit stacked to the gills that I have to move into the new house before our trip. I better unpack what is already in the garage so that there is room. Moving is a bugger. I don't plan on doing it again until we downsize.

Great thing you did! Wish there was more teachers out there like ya- PS ditto on no halibut luck for us in PWS.. good teacher AND fisherman you are... now back to the treasure hunt for halibut outta whittier

Wink You Ruined That Child!!!!

Now that he has found what it takes to go fishing he will work his whole life away to own a boat, fishing poles, life jackets, and trucks.. Nope.. He's ruined. Just like us. You may have ruined the lives of the children he encounters on his travels as well, he'll talk of the importance of education and hard work, and how without them you can't own boats, trucks, and fishing poles, he might even take them fishing and get them addicted to the drug that costs more money than a heroine addict spends on dope. Ruined... Just as the influenes on our lives did to us..

In case you haven't noticed, this is all in jest.. I'm waiting for 10AM so I can get on a plane to homer and go fishing, maybe even invite a perfect stranger out if someone is a no-show.. I love ruining peoples lives.. It makes me smile when people say "Man that was so much fun, I gotta get a boat".

Thanks for doing all you do to make youth future productive members of society.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Stout View Post
    He's ruined. Just like us. You may have ruined the lives of the children he encounters on his travels as well, he'll talk of the importance of education and hard work, and how without them you can't own boats, trucks, and fishing poles, he might even take them fishing and get them addicted to the drug that costs more money than a heroine addict spends on dope. Ruined... Just as the influenes on our lives did to us..
    Chris
    That is the plan, Chris. I tell parents of my 8th graders that our team is here to help shape your student into contributing members of society and if the learn some science, math, language arts, and social studies along the way (which they do), they get the bonus plan.

Default Hey Pete,

No problem whatsoever. You got a lot of stuff on your plate understandably (is that a word?). I look forward to if or when something transpires and if not, I most appreciate the consideration on your part! Maybe I just gotta make more trips to Alaska!
    By the way, ahi's (big ones) been around lately here although I haven't been able to go out for a few weeks now. Just trying to get caught up with work (leaving for Sterling next Friday!); Aloha Hawaii!
    Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast