Thread: Something for the whole family

Default Something for the whole family

I love to fish and boat but I am looking for ideas on places to break things up a little for a long weekend.

I stayed at Halibut Cove Lagoon PUC and really enjoyed the ability to fish, hike and kick back by the fire. I am looking for other ideas on cabins that are boat and pet friendly. My wife enjoyed the cabin, but she is not big on tent camping. We can sleep on the boat but after about 6 hours the dog and wife are both ready to spend some time on land.

We are also interested in exploring some of the area lakes that would be suited to a 24' skiff. I would be interested in hearing what others enjoy doing and where they like to go. Fishing is not the driving factor but it helps if I can wet a line a bit. Species are not critical.

Does anyone cruise Kenai Lake? Any cabins that are on the water? My boat is a fairly shallow draft and is suited to pulling onto a beach. In tidal areas I do have to time the tides as it is to heavy to move once the water runs out from under it. However on a fairly flat beach without sharp rocks, leaving it high and dry is no problem. It makes a pretty good camper that way.

What about Skilak Lake? Same questions.

Lakes to the North?

I know this is pretty general but looking for ideas. Thanks in advance. Feel free to PM if you like.

Good question. I have wondered about Lake Louise and Tustema (sp). Both should have some fun spots to cruise and maybe some fishing and hunting along the way.

Default PWS

Prince William Sound. My family spend tons of time on the beach, My wife, two kids, an 80# lab and me on a 22" boat. Gets tight so to the beach we go. We usually spend a three day weekend. We like the Sound more than K bay or Seward for the beach access, not to mention fewer people.

Tolman24, Our family has used almost all of the public use cabins , both State and Fed, that you can boat to on the ocean in the last decade in South Central Alaska. Each cabin has its pros and cons: anchoring, running lines, tides, hiking, fishing, beach access, exploring, cabin size, etc. If you want this kind of detail information, pm me and I would be more than happy to share the information. Side note, we have been doing more tent camping due to the extreme popularity of the cabins, the efforts now required to reserve the cabins and wanting to see new places. But I have to admit, if you have a cabin reserved, a forecast of rain does not enter the go/no go decision for a trip.

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    Prince William Sound. My family spend tons of time on the beach, My wife, two kids, an 80# lab and me on a 22" boat. Gets tight so to the beach we go....
    My boating partner is a black lab named Chevy. We are often joined by my wife and grown kids and a white boxer. The lab really thinks the boat is his and will not let me out of his site when I start working around the boat as he is afraid he will get left. He can spend 6 - 8 hours on the boat without asking for a break but when you get to shore he is in a hurry.

Thanks for the info .

Thanks for the offer and PM sent. I am able to overnight on my boat and can beach it and let the tide run out from under it if there are no big sharp rocks. It will sleep 3 comfortably and 4 if you like each other. As I tell my wife it is not a RV but an upgraded tent.

I would be especially interested in places with a beach where I can pull in after high tide and just leave it high and dry. Spend a night and take off when the tide comes in. The beach that is flatter rather than steep makes for a more comfortable sleep. Thanks for the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    Tolman24, Our family has used almost all of the public use cabins , both State and Fed, that you can boat to on the ocean in the last decade in South Central Alaska. Each cabin has its pros and cons: anchoring, running lines, tides, hiking, fishing, beach access, exploring, cabin size, etc. If you want this kind of detail information, pm me and I would be more than happy to share the information. Side note, we have been doing more tent camping due to the extreme popularity of the cabins, the efforts now required to reserve the cabins and wanting to see new places. But I have to admit, if you have a cabin reserved, a forecast of rain does not enter the go/no go decision for a trip.

AKexplore,
    You have a PM from me as well. Thanks!

I aplogize for the delay on replying to the pm's. Free time has been short lately between kid's soccer commitments and some boat projects needed to be completed before our next pws trip. I will try to get some info to you tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by AKExplore View Post
    I aplogize for the delay on replying to the pm's. Free time has been short lately between kid's soccer commitments and some boat projects needed to be completed before our next pws trip. I will try to get some info to you tonight.
    Thanks for the info. Exactly what I needed. As someone that spent 18 years as a youth soccer coach I can understand the time commitment. It takes a lot of time to get the kids where they need to be.