Thread: Checking Firearms on Commercial Carrier

Question Checking Firearms on Commercial Carrier

Do you know if Alaska air will allow two hard cases to be banded together (strapped or taped) to ship as one and get away from an extra checked bag?

Any suggestions on how to do this process (do's and don't)

Sell the 2 hard cases on eBay and put all the rifles in a Tuff-Pak. That is meant as a joke and also as a serious suggestion. Airlines are looking more and more at restrictions on gun cases. Some airlines have tried to charge oversize baggage fees even for a single case. This was stopped by the efforts of the SCI folks. Even most single gun cases exceed airline size restrictions and they do charge oversize fees for bikes and surfboards so why not guns.

My gut feeling is to not push the system for fear of repercussions to those that follow.

It's frustrating that some countries now require advance paperwork and fees just to transfer the guns to another plane.

Default Gun case-golf case

I have used the golf bag hard cases as a rifle case. It can be packed with other items (clothes etc as padding) and can hold two guns, is lockable and less obvios if you where traveling through the granola belt. Make sure you get the TSA locks which allows them to unlock and check your gear and then relock it. Again you get hard shell security, but make sure you pad it accordingly with clothes , pillows, sleeping bags etc for maintaining your zero. Confirm when you get to your location just to be sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rick1964
    Make sure you get the TSA locks which allows them to unlock and check your gear and then relock it. Again you get hard shell security, but make sure you pad it accordingly with clothes , pillows, sleeping bags etc for maintaining your zero. Confirm when you get to your location just to be sure.
    I would not use TSA approved locks. It would not take that active an imagination to assume every thief or would be thief has a personal copy. When I travel, I place an extra set of locks inside the case with my firearm. The locks are open and are keyed the same as those outside the case. When you open my case, the first thing you see in big bold letters "Att TSA: PLEASE REPLACE BROKEN LOCKS. If you had to forcibly gain entry into my case, please relock my case with these locks."

Alex

TSA should not be forcibly entering a firearms case. They are required to have you there with the key if the firearm needs to be inspected. When they are done the case is locked and the key is returned to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ak257
    TSA should not be forcibly entering a firearms case. They are required to have you there with the key if the firearm needs to be inspected. When they are done the case is locked and the key is returned to you.
    Technically that is true. But between the time after they have checked your case and before the plane takes off, they STILL can check it if they think they need too. Same goes for the Air Narshalls on the ground as opposed to the plane. TSA will try to contact you over the PA system but if they do not reach you and they need to enter your case, they will.

Here's an analogy. I had to take a test to work in the financial industry so I took one of those cram classes on how to take the test. The instructor told us that when faced with a question about what the Internal Revenue Service can and can't do, the answer is always the one closest to "Whatever it wants." You may disagree or not but you may be faced with that situation at the airport so you may as well plan for it. I have seen my bags go through the CTX machines and pass. When I got to my destination, there wass a slip of paper in my bag indicating TSA looked in there. You may as well be ready.

Default baggage

Just flew a few days ago the airlines are allowing 3 checked bags right now because of the new safety regulations. Dont know how long it will last but as of right now you can check 3 bags.