Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wasilla Arctic Cat

Thumbs up Wasilla Arctic Cat

I keep getting great service from this dealership. Actually this is my cousins story but it is still good. His brand new A/C 650 H1 detonated its starter WAAAAYYYY up baldy. Well one of the guys grabs the toasted starter and heads back down to try and make the dealer before they close. He gets there in time with the starter and explains what happened. They didn't have one on the shelf so they ripped into a brand new quad on the floor and yanked the starter! They handed the starter over to my cousins friend with no hassel(he is still with his wheeler up on the mountain). The install was uneventfull but the starter was installed and the rig was driven out. Sure one could argue the negative side that the brand new starter failed but every manufacture has some DOA parts. These guys just continue to impress me. I don't favor A/C's over other brands but that dealership has convinced me to buy cats in the future and this experiance just converted my Yamaha faithful cuz into a future cat sled owner as well!

So I take it that cat doesn't have a pull start also? Even if not, I guess he was not aware that you can start a belt driven automatic atv by putting it in gear, turning the key on and going down a steep grade or being pulled to about 10mph. They Fire UP
    Been there , done that waaay more than once. Never on a cat though. It works on Yamaha, Suzuki, Kawas I know.

I know that my old polaris would not start in that manner but it makes sense that one with engine breaking would. hmmmm nope we are both quite new to the post 96 era rigs. I am not sure where he was at up there but from what he said there was not really anywhere to turn it around without rolling it down the mountain. We may just have to give it a test to see what is involved in push starting it.
    Thnx

I can't believe they don't put recoil pull starts on those wheelers.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I am not sure where he was at up there but from what he said there was not really anywhere to turn it around
    Thnx
    I've been in that situation too, unless it was way worse than I can imagine I found out two, almost strong guys, can turn around a machine on any incline. One on each side of the machine, each holding on to a brake handle, lift and muscle it 180 degrees, inch by inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I can't believe they don't put recoil pull starts on those wheelers.
    My 400 AC has a pull start.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Default my 07

650 trv has a recoil but the wifes 07 650 trv doesn't
    but i also know they offer a recoil as an addon
    but let me tell you with the 650 if you go to pull it
    hang on or it will hurt you

Pretty much anything after a 500 is a handfull to pull start. They just don't bother putting one on after that. Which is one more reason why I own a 500 Cat.

To pull start the big machines you need to rope them over so they are not on the compression stroke, after that they will pull easy and you should be able to pull start anything no matter what size. And for AC machines after '06 you can get the manual start for bout 100 bucks. I know they should put it on but they don't.

Rope them over? I tried to pull start my Grizzly 660...freakin impossible...

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Pretty much anything after a 500 is a handfull to pull start. They just don't bother putting one on after that. Which is one more reason why I own a 500 Cat.
    Same here, I have a 500 cat. But if you try to pull over the engine when its in a certain position in the cycle of the engine look out it'll rip out your shoulder.

No...just rips off your fingers...LOL... still better than that stupid little kick start on my old Honda 350 back in the day.

Yeah, I'm not sure if I would want to try and pull-start my 800. My old 650 liked to suprise me once and awhile.

Like I said get it off the compression stroke..that is the key here. If you all have never cranked on a big tractor in the old days then perhaps you do not understand. these machines can be pull started.. Just my 02 worth It does not matter the brand it is 4 cycle engine ..intake, exhaust and comression strokes. I the valves are closed you in no way can pull start it.

Quote Originally Posted by hotcity2 View Post
    Like I said get it off the compression stroke..that is the key here. If you all have never cranked on a big tractor in the old days then perhaps you do not understand. these machines can be pull started.. Just my 02 worth It does not matter the brand it is 4 cycle engine ..intake, exhaust and comression strokes. I the valves are closed you in no way can pull start it.
    I know what you're talking about as it's the only way I've been able to start my 660 with the pull start. But your talking like everyone can go out and start their bigbore this way now that they know this, which is far from the truth. These pull starters are poorly designed. They let in water and dirt and half the time the rope refuses to go back in. Who the heck wants to pull the thing apart every week and clean it? Even going past the compression stroke, after three pulls your worn out. In the winter, forget it. So while I hear what your saying about going past the C stroke (and that is what I do) it means nothing to me as no one is starting my machine by hand unless you pull it apart and clean it after every ride. Yes I silicone around the rope after every cleaning, makes no difference, poor design.

Default Maybe its the crappy Yamaha design:)

I've been pull starting my Suzuki Vinson and Arctic Cat 500 for almost a year now, just basically cause I've been scimping on not getting a battery. Although it does suck to not have the winch working. They recoil back in fine and haven't needed cleaning at all yet. I even started them at 6 degrees up in Delta on a cow hunt last fall. Granted after about 6 pulls I need a break at that temp but once they warmed up after about 2 mins of pulling apiece from cold it was first pull everytime for the rest of the day. Maybe its just the way the Yamahas are built.

Plus its nice to have the recoil when you end up going swimming and suck in water in the intake and need to clear the cylinder by pulling hte plug out and pulling the engine over . Done that a time or two as well . Not saying that pulling is the way to go, but it ain't nearly as bad as DWS is making it out to be. Besides the Yamahas are so well made I gotta give ya a grab when I can. Atleast I don't ride a Honda right

I've been pull starting my Suzuki Vinson and Arctic Cat 500 for almost a year now, just basically cause I've been scimping on not getting a battery. Although it does suck to not have the winch working. They recoil back in fine and haven't needed cleaning at all yet. I even started them at 6 degrees up in Delta on a cow hunt last fall. Granted after about 6 pulls I need a break at that temp but once they warmed up after about 2 mins of pulling apiece from cold it was first pull everytime for the rest of the day. Maybe its just the way the Yamahas are built.

Plus its nice to have the recoil when you end up going swimming and suck in water in the intake and need to clear the cylinder by pulling hte plug out and pulling the engine over . Done that a time or two as well . Not saying that pulling is the way to go, but it ain't nearly as bad as DWS is making it out to be. Besides the Yamahas are so well made I gotta give ya a grab when I can. Atleast I don't ride a Honda right
    No I don't think it's Yamaha. I owned 3 Hondas before I started buying Yamahas. I have nothing against Hondas, I just like to bust the balls of Honda owners who brag them up like Honda is gods gift to offroaders
    I had the same disrespect for them pull starters on them Hondas. My starter went out on the 660 at the start of a 10 day moosehunt a few years ago. My shoulder still hurts from that trip. Yanking on a 660 is harder than an AC 500 Some of it is my fault, my machine is snorkled and I seek out and ride more deep water than the average joe. I have no qualms about buying a machine that has no pull start after what I've seen so far.
    Also I'll add that I've been tearing apart pull starters on various machines for almost 50 years and they are all the same and nothing has changed about them in that long. Reguardless of who made it.

Yeah that extra 160 cc might make it a bit harder. Still my AC 500 is a 1998 and has been upsidedown in a creek or two in its day and never cleaned it. But maybe I'm just lucky.

Yeah that extra 160 cc might make it a bit harder. Still my AC 500 is a 1998 and has been upsidedown in a creek or two in its day and never cleaned it. But maybe I'm just lucky.
    Which creek it's submerged in probably has more to do with it. Mine is always gummed up with glacial silt

Well 2 were glacial and 1 was clear run off. They were earlier when I was less experienced in the art of river crossings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast