Thread: MSR HyperFlow water filter/pump

Thumbs up MSR HyperFlow water filter/pump

Well, I finally broke down and bought one. For years my hunting partners have owned the MSR MiniWorks filter/pumps so I have used them quite a bit. I never had the need really to buy one nor did I really want to carry the extra pound or so Well, when I heard about the HyperFlow last year at 7ozs and a pump rate of 3 liters per minute it got my attention.

I must admit that even though the MiniWorks are great pumps it's a lot of work and fairly time consuming to pump a couple gallons of water for two guys when "filling up". Especially if you are dog tired. Even just pumping 2+ liters to fill my bladder was kind of a pain. Well, the HyperFlow is a different animal.

I have not had the HyperFlow in the field yet but I did pump some water with it to get a feel. Man, this thing is great. In about 20 pumps/20 seconds or so I filled a 1 liter nalgene bottle and it's very easy to pump. I know a guy who has been using one quite a bit and he really likes it. He says the back pump feature to clean it is really slick.

I will get my hands on one of my buddies MiniWorks and do some comparing but my preliminary first impressions are that this HyperFlow is the hot setup for what I want. That is as long as you keep it from freezing. It says it right on the pump. "Do Not Freeze". Everything has it's trade offs.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

My plan is to by one for a water hole at our future cabin. Its such a pain to carry water for a summer weekend in Petersville. 3 Lpm, thats badass! Have you priced one yet? And how about filter life?

Quote Originally Posted by SLDHED8 View Post
    My plan is to by one for a water hole at our future cabin. Its such a pain to carry water for a summer weekend in Petersville. 3 Lpm, thats badass! Have you priced one yet? And how about filter life?
    Retail is $99.95. I bought one locally and got a "good guy" discount . i've seen them online for 95.

MSR says 1000 liters filter life depending....

Owners manual say 80 pumps per minute is the "optimal" speed. I suppose that means 80 pumps per minute equals 3 liters per minute as long as your not trying to filter liquid mud

I'll be doing some real world testing in 5 weeks on a sheep hunt.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Retail is $99.95. I bought one locally and got a "good guy" discount . i've seen them online for 95.

Owners manual say 80 pumps per minute is the "optimal" speed. I suppose that means 80 pumps per minute equals 3 liters per minute as long as your not trying to filter liquid mud

I'll be doing some real world testing in 5 weeks on a sheep hunt.
    Snyd

I would be very interested in your results .
    From what I have read on line I am not totally sold on it so I would like to hear your results .
    Here is a link to some feedback I was reading .
    http://www.buzzillions.com/dz_104252...filter_reviews

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Are you using it with a hydration bladder? I am in the market for a bladder (if I can figure out where to put it in my new Barneys Pinnacle bag). I would like to get one that is compatible with a filter/pump so when I decide to replace my Katadyne I am set.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I'm new to these filters so maybe you can enlighten me? Does that mean 1000 liters for the "filter" or the whole system? Most of the systems come with replaceable filters right. I think I just about have HouseHold 6 talked into getting one. I like the sound of 3LPM.

Thanks,
    H
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Ranger_Rick... Ya, we'll see how this thing does. It amazes me how you can read reviews and some people hate it and some people love it. I know that with the MiniWorks when the filter gets clogged from filtering murky water it get really hard to pump and you need to pull out the ceramic filter and clean it off with a chore boy or something. It does not have a sediment/pre-filter. Plus you have to make sure you don't get an air lock. This one seems less complex in some ways.

LuJon, MSR has bladders that you can hook the thing up to. I'll just use one Nalgene bottle to pump water into and the pour it into other containers as needed. We've done it that way in the past with a MiniWorks and MSR Bladder.

BigHinER- 1000 liters before the filter needs replaced. Again, it probably depend on what kind of water you are filtering.