Thread: What happened to my cauliflower??!!

Default What happened to my cauliflower??!!

Finally after a little sunshine, things started to really perk up in the garden! I was excited to walk down my row of cauliflower plants and see a nice vegetable starting to form, only there's just one problem - instead of growing in a nice, white crown as usual it is growing in a lumpy looking cone shape!!! This cone-shaped vegetable just keeps growing a little taller, and getting a few more "bumps" on it, resembling nothing of a cauliflower, and especially not one that I am interested in eating. lol

Could this be an indicator that our soil is too "hot" in that row?? Not all of the cauliflower plants have bloomed, and neither has the broccoli and brussel sprouts in the neighboring rows so I'm not sure how they are going to look at this point.

I suspect that you got low quality seeds. some times you can get a broccoli cauliflower hybrid. It produces a flower very similar to what you discribe.
    They are edible and some people even like to grow them.

Default Ahh cauliflower

Believe it or not this is actually a pretty hard plant to grow sometimes you have the perfect spot and weather is just right and it seems easy other times its hit or miss with cauliflower.

some questions will help answer your problem

1. did you blanche them when they start to form a head?

2. were they store or greenhouse purchased?

cauliflower needs to be continously growing to the point of if they are root bound when young even for a week or so it will ruin the chances for a good head to form hot or dry weather will also ruin head formation so it really is better to start cauliflower yourself rather than buy unknown stock.

another is failure to blanche the plant when the head start to for without doing this just a day or two of sunshine will cause the head to grow up and out and not form a nice tight bunch if you have grown before and not had this problem there are some varieties that self blanche themselves through breeding these genes into them over the years.

I am sure either one of these or a combo of the both is the cause of your problems.

James

ok I am attaching a picture of a broccoli a cauliflower and a hybrid. Does your plant look similar to the hybrid?
    Attached Images Attached Images

It is a little difficult to see in the picture, but generally the hybrid is some what cone shapped and all the little minni heads also come to a point.
    Do you have a picture? It should be pretty easy to tell if they just need blanching. usually unblanched cauliflower are brown but look like regular cauliflower otherwise.

Not an expert on this TMS, but it sounds like your cauliflower "bolted." Grew faster than it should, thus creating your mutated offspring... Some seeds, (like previously mentioned) will mature slower allowing for a good head. I'd still eat them no matter how coneheaded they are!
    -OR- You successfully combined a brussel sprout with cauliflower. You'll just have some difficulty comming up with a name? How bout' "cauli russels?"

Did you determine what was going on with your cauliflower?

my cauliflower are not showing indication of forming heads

could it still be too early?

nice healthy plants but no head whatsoever yet

raised bed...........plenty of water

should I switch over to a bloom builder type fertilizer?

If you have nice plants then it is possible that they will still form heads. You can fertilize them if you like. I probably wouldn't if you have good soil already.