Thread: Late sockeye run on the Kenai

Default Late sockeye run on the Kenai

Looking for any opinions on why the late sockeye run has steadily decreased this first week of counting, instead of increasing?

Everything has been late.........this is probably the end of the first run.

the later the better lol

Amen to that!

I've got four daughters that do OK fighting fish from the boat, but they need some practice on big feisty fish from the bank. Sounds like they may get a good chance. "Sounds like they may get a good chance when they come up to the Kenai in August."

Thanks!

Either that, or the Kenai run may just flop this season.
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 07-10-2008 at 06:25. Reason: by request
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

My thoughts are it is just the end of the first run petering out. I have seen no reds one day on the 4th of july on the kenai then slammed them the next day. The 2nd run date to start counting is a bit early in my opinion. Now around the 15th of july I hope to see numbers in the 20k plus and climbing. The run has been late the last 2 years. Way late in 06 and about 5 days last year. It is still called fishing and not catching no matter what.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default off shore test fisherie

the OTF was 32 on tuesday and 83 on wensday when it stays over 80 for a few day things seem to get preaty good on the river so my guess is the fish should be in the river somtime late next week if the otf counts stay high what do you guys know of the OTF ?

I remember last year we were slaying the reds in the middle of August in the confluence, I hope they are on a normal schedule this year.

Default Last Day

I love fishing the last day of Red season on the Russian. There's far less fishing pressure and you can walk the stream and target fresh fish. Plus there are also silvers and bows to play with.

John

"Now around the 15th of july I hope to see numbers in the 20k plus and climbing. The run has been late the last 2 years. Way late in 06 and about 5 days last year. It is still called fishing and not catching no matter what. "
    I am with you Chuck. I think when I hit the river on July 20 the 20,000 -40,000 fish days will be happening. It seems this year is following the recent trend on being a little late

Quote Originally Posted by yamwrench View Post
    "Now around the 15th of july I hope to see numbers in the 20k plus and climbing. The run has been late the last 2 years. Way late in 06 and about 5 days last year. It is still called fishing and not catching no matter what. "
    I am with you Chuck. I think when I hit the river on July 20 the 20,000 -40,000 fish days will be happening. It seems this year is following the recent trend on being a little late
    We hit the reds pretty good the last week of July in 2007. That's when I'll be there this year.