Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Glacier Craft Boats

Default Glacier Craft Boats

How many of you out there are long on promise and short on boat.

Default In-Liner

I am in line. I signed up for the wait after finding out other comparable builders were looking at the same timeframe. They have a great product and some talented people. I like the finish above the others, some good things take time, some more than others. At least I have friends with boats to go fishing with!!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Well I guess I signed up for the wait to, just not the one I was told I would have. 2.5 times longer.

This subject got beat to death in a long thread a few months back. There were a lot of negative posts about poor service, bad attitudes, and failures to meet promised delivery dates. On the other hand, there were also quite a few positive comments about build quality, and how quality takes time and is worth waiting for.

You could do a search, but I don't think the thread survived. My recollection is that most/all of the thread got deleted by the forum administrator.

Quote Originally Posted by bottomfeeder View Post
    My wait is over and we sure are enjoying her. I am very impressed with the ride of this hull! It performs better than my expectations and I had a while to ponder. Enjoy the wait. If you are boatless now, just think about all the fuel you will be saving as you sit in line!
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by bhollis View Post
    This subject got beat to death in a long thread a few months back. There were a lot of negative posts about poor service, bad attitudes, and failures to meet promised delivery dates. On the other hand, there were also quite a few positive comments about build quality, and how quality takes time and is worth waiting for.

You could do a search, but I don't think the thread survived. My recollection is that most/all of the thread got deleted by the forum administrator.
    Yea, the thread was deleted. There were a lot of unsubstantiated claims and comments as well as some legitimate gripes. The bottom line is you are getting a great product at a very reasonable price. The cost is you have to wait. Hence my boat's name:

How long is the average wait?

I'm looking to deploy here at the end of the year, and was hoping to order one while I was over seas.

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    How long is the average wait?

I'm looking to deploy here at the end of the year, and was hoping to order one while I was over seas.

Average? My wait was probably a little longer than most, but from what I have seen they are about two years out.

No matter how far out you may go , look around and you will see another boat. Some may cost more , some maybe faster, some may ride better. At the end of the day they are all still just a boat. Glacier Craft worth all the BS, ...... not sure. So the name on mine will be BOHICA . Or tolerance, not sure which one yet.

After going through the process of having a custom aluminum boat built I found there are at least five major areas to consider when selecting a builder. When first considering having a custom aluminum boat built it is easy to just look at one of the builders boats and say “Boy that’s a neat boat” without considering ALL of the things that go into having a custom boat built.

1. Builders Experience – How long has he been in business, how many boats has he built, what is his reputation, what do current and previous owners think about the boats, would current and previous owners have this builder build them another boat?

2. Design and Engineering – Who did the hull design and configuration layouts, are the boats designed by a naval architect, are CAD drawings done for each boat, is the weight and balance calculated for each boat, and are the boats certified to meet USCG and ABYC (and possibly Canadian CG) standards ?

3. Construction – Does the builder have an adequate and dedicated construction facility, does he have quality tools, welders and machining equipment, does he have adequate material/boat handling equipment, are ALL of the welders doing the construction tested and certified or do they just know how to run a MIG gun? Are the boats built from drawings or is “Stuff” just added after the hull is completed?

4. Business Practices – Is a detailed and legal contract which protects BOTH the builder and client done for each boat, how accurately is the start and/or delivery date defined, what is the record of the builder in meeting the start and/or delivery date? How accurate are the builders cost figures – does he have a history of “Cost Escalation” which results in additional charges at the time of delivery? How open is the builder to contract changes? Is a “Build Sheet” which details EVERY system, sub-system and part (i.e. specific make and model of each part used) a part of the contract or does the contract just list general items like, hydraulic steering, refrigerator, suspension seats, 2 bilge pumps, etc,? Are all changes requested by the client added to the “Build Sheet” with the cost listed? Most, if not all, custom aluminum boat builders require an initial small deposit and then either 3 or 4 major construction payments. After the initial construction payment does the builder have to have made material progress on the boat BEFORE payment 2 is made? Does the BUILDER do one or more sea trails of the boat after construction is complete?

5. Customer Service – How easy is it to deal with the builder, is he open to your ideas, how easy is it to contact him, how quickly does he return you calls, does he give specific answers and not generalities to your questions, if you have a problem how prompt is he is correcting the issues and finally - has the entire process been a pleasurable and fun experience or a giant PITA for prior clients?

These are just a few things that I found were important to me when selecting a builder.

There are many builders in Alaska, Washington and British Columbia that will build you a boat – the trick is to find a quality builder that will work with you to get you a boat that meets your needs and budget.

And finally a comment about delivery dates. If you have a custom boat built you are going to spend some serious money – the builder owes it to you to accurately define and meet a delivery date. There is a big difference in knowing that it will be two years before you are going to get your boat and being told (or having it listed in the contract) that your boat will be delivered in 6 months and then you finally get it a year and a half after that date. A quality, reputable builder will identify a delivery date (accurate to within a few weeks) and then meet that date so long as major changes, not little adds, are not made during the construction process. Having CAD drawings of the boat before construction starts greatly reduces the chance of any major changes.

That says it all . plus a new name for the list of possibilites. Giant PITA.

Purchasing a boat should not be a PITA. Sharbait's summary of the components that go into the decision on what boat builder to go with makes a lot of sense to me. I guess the one thing I would add is the builders reputation for warranty issues. Purchasing my Seaport was a smooth transaction, but the dealer acted like he had never seen me before after I wrote the check. Warranty work was horrible. Bottom line is purchasing a new boat should be the whole package of a professional relationship between builder and customer.

I been giving some serious thought into getting a larger boat and GC was one I was considering.

Sharkbait has offered some great advice and so has Dream Catcher.

I would like to add when I talked to GC they would not even consider a "penalty clause"
    in the build contract which would deduct money from the purchase price for each month the boat was delayed after the promised delivery. I even offered to pay a little more if they finished ahead of schedule as a show of good faith that I was not being one sided. I reached the conclusion the best way for me to consider finding one was on the used market.

No matter how far out you may go , look around and you will see another boat. Some may cost more , some maybe faster, some may ride better. At the end of the day they are all still just a boat. Glacier Craft worth all the BS, ...... not sure. So the name on mine will be BOHICA . Or tolerance, not sure which one yet.

So if its just a boat why are you paying so much more and waiting so much longer?... certainly some boats out do others and craftsmanship is quickly being less and less appreciated everywhere

As near as I can tell there are about 10 of us. I ordered mine Feb 07. when did you order yours? what size?

Great summary Shark Bait. That pretty much sums it up.

Good thoughts Shark Bait. Hard to find builders in this industry that get an A+ in all areas for some reason.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default GC

I sent GC an e-mail on 07-05-08. They called me back in short order, within 2 days. I believe it was on 07-07-08. The salesman said he could deliver the boat in 18 months. I asked him to give me a quote on a basic 26' and a 27'. He said that would not be a problem. I gave him all my information, which he already had from my previous e-mail to him. A week has passed and I still have not recieved a qoute or a call back from the company.

It looks like they build a very good product but after reading this thread I get the impression they may not have the best customer service. He did say that the guys who have ordered boats from them all gather down at the shop discussing the boats/waiting for theirs to be built. I may have gotten a quicker response if this were an option for me but it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
    I sent GC an e-mail on 07-05-08. They called me back in short order, within 2 days. I believe it was on 07-07-08. The salesman said he could deliver the boat in 18 months. I asked him to give me a quote on a basic 26' and a 27'. He said that would not be a problem. I gave him all my information, which he already had from my previous e-mail to him. A week has passed and I still have not recieved a qoute or a call back from the company.
    Matt,

Sorry to hear that you did not get the quotes; they were emailed the morning of July 8th. I will resend them in the morning.

Please don't hesitate to call me at the shop or on my cell phone if you have any questions.

Mike

Default GC

Mike,

I got your phone message today, but I still have not received the quote. My e-mail is gfpd230@msn. You should have it from my first message i sent to you.

Matt

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast