Thread: 235 gn on Brn Bear?

Default 235 gn on Brn Bear?

Would you consider using a 235 gn Barnes TSX 375 H&H on a brown bear? I've been working on getting some problems solved with my rifle and may have made some progress. One of the problems is that it may appear that my rifle likes the 235's. I was shooting 300's and 270's but not happy with the groups. Today my rifle shot a 1/2" group with the 235's and 2" with the 300's

I used a 225-grain on mine. Bear died and I lived to tell about it.

Were you shooting TSX's or Partitions?? Personally I like the Partitions as they shoot good out of my 375 H&H but heck, if those 235's work good for ya i'd run those.

Have you tried some different seating depths with the 300's or 270's?

Default Not mine

They are actually made by someone else. This is one of the issues that I'm dealing with and in the process of buying reloading equipment for myself but time is getting a little short so I was wondering if I should even consider the 235's. I'm still going to go back to try some factory ammo for comparison. The 300"s were the TSX's. I also tried 260 Accubonds and didn't get the results. I know that I'm shooting someone elses reloads and that isn't the greatest idea. I'm hoping to remedy that very soon but even when I start doing my own would it be wise to use the 235's? Thanks for the help.

If you haven't done this yet, then it would be worth the $35 to do a bedding job in the action area and perhaps float the barrel. Throw in an extra $25 or so for a trigger job and that will save you the $75-$100 for a box of factory ammo that might not shoot worth a darn.

What factory rifle do you got?

Mo bigga is mo betta, but plenty of bears have died from less lead ( or copper). Two opposing thoughts. 1. The TSX will likely retain close to 100% of weight in theory working much better than a lesser heavier bullet. 2. You're not hunting prarie dogs, while a 2" group is far from bragging rights it is probably good enough. I love tinkering with my loads to get the rifle/load dialed in as best can. However, in field conditions even with a lot of practice I'm sure my rifle is not the weak link in the accuracy chain. What does your guide think?

Easily. The 235's should have no broblem on a brown bear.

But I would call 2" for the 300's well within acceptable accuracy for a brown bear hunt. How far are you shooting anyways?

If I could only should 2" at 100 yards I would keep the range to under 300 yards, maybe 400 yards.

Default gun work done

The rifle has been worked by the smith already. Tigger is at 2 3/4 lbs with zero creep, barrel is floated and action is bedded. I've been told to expect anything less than 200 yrds with the river that we will be on. I guess the bottom line is would you rather have a 2" MOA with a 300 grn or a sub MOA with a 235 gnr for a brown bear hunt?

A 235 grn bullet from a .375H&H will work fine. I use 225grn partitions in my .338WM. all the time. Having a bullet/load you are confident in is far better than a heavier bullet/load you do not feel confident in.

When you start reloading your own you should be able to dial in the heavier bullets.

I would go with the sub MOA 235 gr bullet. It wont have a great SD or BC, but I'm guessing a TSX will put a hole through a brownie inside 300 yds out of a 375.

Bottom line.
    Report back on how those 235's do. I expect they would go right through all but the biggest Brownie.

--

"You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".