Thread: My New pup, might need some help

Default My New pup, might need some help

Hey all,

I had a 12 yr old Weimaraner named hunter pass about a year and half ago so this year I came across my new lil buddy. He is a 10wk old Vizsla! I got him about 3 weeks ago and he is an awesome dog so far, His name is Tracker. But my father trained my Weim back in ohio years and years ago, and im looking to train this little guy. How soon is "too soon"? He seems to have a short attention span to training, i might not make it exciting enough for him but he does know sit, and he is getting whoa, stay and come down, just working on it. Are there any trainers up here in alaska that can help me out with some classes such as the appropriate collars to use (choke, pinch, e-collar etc..) and just to answer some of my questions and help me out? Thanks, but heres a pic of my boy.
    Steve

Default nice lookin pup...congrats!

Puppies have short attention spans and training should be short, but frequent. Pushing him too much to early can be detrimental. Pointing breeds generally dont get tons of formal training early. They need to learn to learn and be a puppy. Basic commands like come are okay.

I do not know of any pros around, some one else might help you find one.

But...there are plenty of books and videos to help you start learning the process and there are other people with experience. One way to meet them is through the Arctic Bird Dog Association (ABDA). The ABDA has a novice/puppy class each spring. It would be good to get into that next year, it wont be too late (if you are in the Anchorage/Mat-Su area). In the mean time keep working short sessions of the "yard work" like you are doing. Take him for hikes and let him teach himself things like searching, and exploring. If you are interested you can go online to read about the ABDA. Also we have a small training group on Wednesday nights (tonight). PM me and I can get you more info, phone numbers etc.

Default Puppy help and info

I sent you a Private Message (PM)

Default Dog Training

Get the book Waterdog by Richard Wolters. I trained labs and retrievers for years and this was my first book on techniques. It will cover all aspectes of training a good duck dog. The most important thing to remember is to have patience. So many dog owners doing this for the first time will think their dog is ready for the next step and rush them... only to become flustrated when they do not perform. Hell, I could write a book on this myself,,from my own flustrations when I started. If anyone needs some help just PM me and I can talk to you from a "started dog" to "finished". You just have to have patience...be able to read your dog and know when he is done. This might be 10 or 30 mins,,depends on the dog,,sometimes the one doing the training.

give the dog a hug!

H

Cute puppy... from the previous thread, try the Arctic Bird Dog Association... I took their Novice course for my field bred English Springer Spaniel this past spring. They have some pointer & spaniel hunt tests, pheasant challenge, & chukar challenge coming up at Falcon Ridge to where you might just go to watch... great bunch of people & dogs....

Steve,

Arctic Bird Dog Association is having an AKC Pointer Hunt Test this Saturday and Sunday out at Falcon Ridge. Though your puppy can't participate, this would be a great oppurtunity to see other pointers work and to meet the owners. It will start about 9:am both days an you are more than welcom to come on out!