Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kenai King Charters

Red face Kenai King Charters

Looking to book a charter for Kings next year (Kenai Rv) and just looking for a highly recommended guide outfit. I saw a great TV show a few years back with "Smokin Joes" Charters; are they still around? He seemed like a lot of fun and knew his stuff. Also, I know "typically" the first run is larger (with smaller fish) and second run has fewer but bigger fish, but from a client point of view, I want to catch and release a few before keeping a bigger fish. What's the best way to go for a day like that? Looking for the most bang for the buck! Thanks to any and all that can offer some sound advice/recommendations.

Send a PM to yukon, as he is a member here who guides on the Kenai. I've never been out fishing with him, but I've talked with him a lot and he seems to be a great guy who knows his stuff. At the very least he'll be able to tell you what to expect as far as dates, run size, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Looking to book a charter for Kings next year (Kenai Rv) and just looking for a highly recommended guide outfit. I saw a great TV show a few years back with "Smokin Joes" Charters; are they still around? He seemed like a lot of fun and knew his stuff. Also, I know "typically" the first run is larger (with smaller fish) and second run has fewer but bigger fish, but from a client point of view, I want to catch and release a few before keeping a bigger fish. What's the best way to go for a day like that? Looking for the most bang for the buck! Thanks to any and all that can offer some sound advice/recommendations.
    You're actually describing the Kasilof king fishery...not sure about sizes, but on the Kenai, the second run is MUCH larger than the first run, about three times the numbers.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Exclamation Kenai King Charter

Beaver Creek Cabins

www.beavercreekcabins.com

Keith, the guide, rocks.. They have cabins you can stay in and walk right out the door to the dock. Once you're in the boat, they are just a few hundred yards from the best fishing holes on the River......

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    You're actually describing the Kasilof king fishery...not sure about sizes, but on the Kenai, the second run is MUCH larger than the first run, about three times the numbers.
    Funny, that was my thought too ... although from prelim study data, the two runs look to be about the same size on the "Ditch"

For the OP, be realistic with your expecations ... to think that you'll "probably" release a number of smaller fish on the Kenai and then harvest a larger one is not what the average angler will do, regardless of the timeframe.

Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Yes, Bob is right, don't get your expectations too high. Given enough time, you may be able to catch and release a few before keeping one...but to expect such, especially in a single day, is unrealistic. If you put in a whole week of guided Kenai fishing in the 3rd week of July (the typical peak for the 2nd Kenai run), you'll probably be able to do that. The fishing can be quite good up here, but nothing's ever a guarantee.

I just got back from two (full) days of guided fishing on the lower Kenai (for kings) and all we had to show between 4 of us was one small jack. No fault at all on the guide's part...he worked his behind off trying to get us some fish...just lower than expected fish counts and poor water conditions. We still had a great time and I'll go back again.

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    Wasn't the world record caught in May???

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Yes, Bob is right, don't get your expectations too high. Given enough time, you may be able to catch and release a few before keeping one...but to expect such, especially in a single day, is unrealistic. If you put in a whole week of guided Kenai fishing in the 3rd week of July (the typical peak for the 2nd Kenai run), you'll probably be able to do that. The fishing can be quite good up here, but nothing's ever a guarantee.

I just got back from two (full) days of guided fishing on the lower Kenai (for kings) and all we had to show between 4 of us was one small jack. No fault at all on the guide's part...he worked his behind off trying to get us some fish...just lower than expected fish counts and poor water conditions. We still had a great time and I'll go back again.
    Ouch! and now I see this. Well, at least someone got lucky...unfortunately, it wasn't us. Good story, though. Congratulations, Steve. Yes, I'm envious.

http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...58461958.shtml

Fenton Brothers Guide Service. Mike or Murray Fenton. Usually booked three years in advance for that time frame, but definitely will put you on fish.

Default I dont think so

,try solid fishing thats where they all went .www.solidfishing.com) ask for Nate
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-19-2008 at 11:22. Reason: negative comments about businesses prohibited

I did pm and hope it worked. Have not used this feature on this forum yet. Thanks and let me know if it didn't go through.

Default got youre mesage

Quote Originally Posted by Idahoman View Post
    I did pm and hope it worked. Have not used this feature on this forum yet. Thanks and let me know if it didn't go through.
    got youre message told ya what i know hope it helps

Quote Originally Posted by moosestooth View Post
    Fenton Brothers Guide Service. Mike or Murray Fenton. Usually booked three years in advance for that time frame, but definitely will put you on fish.
    I second that! They always had big kings in the boat.

Another last name I would look up would cliff and gary chamberlin. Both guys have been on the river for a very long time and are very knowledgeable.

Default Kenai Kings last week

My son and I made our first trip on the Kenai July 10. We fished with Ian Flannery(Fin and Feather guide service). 4 of us fished, landed 3 Kings. 68,40,26 lbs. I would recommend Ian and will fish with him again. For our first trip we did exceptionally well. Attached picture of 3 Kings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Smokin Joe is still around and since he has been guiding for well over 20 years on the Kenai River that should be a huge statement in itself. His phone number is (907)262-1575.

Default Fish with Yukon

Great guy and gets the fish. Good luck.

Thumbs up Just want to say

THANKS to all that replied... I appreciate the time you spent to post back to my question..

again TY

Gary

Default Kenai Kings

I was out July 15th with Mark Glassmaker. We fished at the end of East Redoubt Rd. I am from Michigan and this was my first Alaska vacation. My buddy and I ended catching a 42# hen and a 62# buck. We also released a 60# plus hen before catching the 62# king. We had 2 other people on our boat and they caught a king 25#. I would recommend Mark Glassmaker to anyone who fishes the Kenai. Good luck, Bucky

http://www.guideofsteel.com/aboutus.htm

The story is that he might not be the beloved guide of the river, but from what I can tell that might be because he is very successfull and somewhat cocky. He wears a giant S (uperman) cutoff shirt and catches lots of fish. Whats not to love. I've studied his river behavior and he almost never stops changing bait - which for you, my angling friend is a big bonus!

Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast