Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

Thread: Kenai King Charters

  1. #1

    Red face Kenai King Charters

    Looking to book a charter for Kings next year (Kenai Rv) and just looking for a highly recommended guide outfit. I saw a great TV show a few years back with "Smokin Joes" Charters; are they still around? He seemed like a lot of fun and knew his stuff. Also, I know "typically" the first run is larger (with smaller fish) and second run has fewer but bigger fish, but from a client point of view, I want to catch and release a few before keeping a bigger fish. What's the best way to go for a day like that? Looking for the most bang for the buck! Thanks to any and all that can offer some sound advice/recommendations.

  2. #2
    Forum Admin Brian M's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Eagle River, AK
    Posts
    13,393

    Default

    Send a PM to yukon, as he is a member here who guides on the Kenai. I've never been out fishing with him, but I've talked with him a lot and he seems to be a great guy who knows his stuff. At the very least he'll be able to tell you what to expect as far as dates, run size, etc.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Looking to book a charter for Kings next year (Kenai Rv) and just looking for a highly recommended guide outfit. I saw a great TV show a few years back with "Smokin Joes" Charters; are they still around? He seemed like a lot of fun and knew his stuff. Also, I know "typically" the first run is larger (with smaller fish) and second run has fewer but bigger fish, but from a client point of view, I want to catch and release a few before keeping a bigger fish. What's the best way to go for a day like that? Looking for the most bang for the buck! Thanks to any and all that can offer some sound advice/recommendations.
    You're actually describing the Kasilof king fishery...not sure about sizes, but on the Kenai, the second run is MUCH larger than the first run, about three times the numbers.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

  4. #4
    Member ak_sierra's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    119

    Exclamation Kenai King Charter

    Beaver Creek Cabins

    www.beavercreekcabins.com

    Keith, the guide, rocks.. They have cabins you can stay in and walk right out the door to the dock. Once you're in the boat, they are just a few hundred yards from the best fishing holes on the River......

  5. #5

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Kasilof, AK & Forks, WA
    Posts
    185

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    You're actually describing the Kasilof king fishery...not sure about sizes, but on the Kenai, the second run is MUCH larger than the first run, about three times the numbers.
    Funny, that was my thought too ... although from prelim study data, the two runs look to be about the same size on the "Ditch"

    For the OP, be realistic with your expecations ... to think that you'll "probably" release a number of smaller fish on the Kenai and then harvest a larger one is not what the average angler will do, regardless of the timeframe.

  7. #7
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FishnMan View Post
    Looking to book a charter for Kings next year (Kenai Rv) and just looking for a highly recommended guide outfit. I saw a great TV show a few years back with "Smokin Joes" Charters; are they still around? He seemed like a lot of fun and knew his stuff. Also, I know "typically" the first run is larger (with smaller fish) and second run has fewer but bigger fish, but from a client point of view, I want to catch and release a few before keeping a bigger fish. What's the best way to go for a day like that? Looking for the most bang for the buck! Thanks to any and all that can offer some sound advice/recommendations.
    Yes, Bob is right, don't get your expectations too high. Given enough time, you may be able to catch and release a few before keeping one...but to expect such, especially in a single day, is unrealistic. If you put in a whole week of guided Kenai fishing in the 3rd week of July (the typical peak for the 2nd Kenai run), you'll probably be able to do that. The fishing can be quite good up here, but nothing's ever a guarantee.

    I just got back from two (full) days of guided fishing on the lower Kenai (for kings) and all we had to show between 4 of us was one small jack. No fault at all on the guide's part...he worked his behind off trying to get us some fish...just lower than expected fish counts and poor water conditions. We still had a great time and I'll go back again.

  8. #8
    Member AK Tubes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    You're actually describing the Kasilof king fishery...not sure about sizes, but on the Kenai, the second run is MUCH larger than the first run, about three times the numbers.
    Wasn't the world record caught in May???

  9. #9
    Member MRFISH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    1,315

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Yes, Bob is right, don't get your expectations too high. Given enough time, you may be able to catch and release a few before keeping one...but to expect such, especially in a single day, is unrealistic. If you put in a whole week of guided Kenai fishing in the 3rd week of July (the typical peak for the 2nd Kenai run), you'll probably be able to do that. The fishing can be quite good up here, but nothing's ever a guarantee.

    I just got back from two (full) days of guided fishing on the lower Kenai (for kings) and all we had to show between 4 of us was one small jack. No fault at all on the guide's part...he worked his behind off trying to get us some fish...just lower than expected fish counts and poor water conditions. We still had a great time and I'll go back again.
    Ouch! and now I see this. Well, at least someone got lucky...unfortunately, it wasn't us. Good story, though. Congratulations, Steve. Yes, I'm envious.

    http://www.peninsulaclarion.com/stor...58461958.shtml

  10. #10

    Default

    Fenton Brothers Guide Service. Mike or Murray Fenton. Usually booked three years in advance for that time frame, but definitely will put you on fish.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Posts
    409

    Default I dont think so

    ,try solid fishing thats where they all went .www.solidfishing.com) ask for Nate
    Last edited by Brian M; 07-19-2008 at 11:22. Reason: negative comments about businesses prohibited

  12. #12

    Default

    I did pm and hope it worked. Have not used this feature on this forum yet. Thanks and let me know if it didn't go through.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    salt lake city ut
    Posts
    409

    Default got youre mesage

    Quote Originally Posted by Idahoman View Post
    I did pm and hope it worked. Have not used this feature on this forum yet. Thanks and let me know if it didn't go through.
    got youre message told ya what i know hope it helps

  14. #14
    Member chromage's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    On da river
    Posts
    23

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by moosestooth View Post
    Fenton Brothers Guide Service. Mike or Murray Fenton. Usually booked three years in advance for that time frame, but definitely will put you on fish.
    I second that! They always had big kings in the boat.

    Another last name I would look up would cliff and gary chamberlin. Both guys have been on the river for a very long time and are very knowledgeable.

  15. #15
    New member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Kenai Kings last week

    My son and I made our first trip on the Kenai July 10. We fished with Ian Flannery(Fin and Feather guide service). 4 of us fished, landed 3 Kings. 68,40,26 lbs. I would recommend Ian and will fish with him again. For our first trip we did exceptionally well. Attached picture of 3 Kings.
    Attached Files Attached Files

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    soldotna
    Posts
    841

    Default

    Smokin Joe is still around and since he has been guiding for well over 20 years on the Kenai River that should be a huge statement in itself. His phone number is (907)262-1575.

  17. #17
    Member Reel Friend's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    46

    Default Fish with Yukon

    Great guy and gets the fish. Good luck.

  18. #18

    Thumbs up Just want to say

    THANKS to all that replied... I appreciate the time you spent to post back to my question..

    again TY

    Gary

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1

    Default Kenai Kings

    I was out July 15th with Mark Glassmaker. We fished at the end of East Redoubt Rd. I am from Michigan and this was my first Alaska vacation. My buddy and I ended catching a 42# hen and a 62# buck. We also released a 60# plus hen before catching the 62# king. We had 2 other people on our boat and they caught a king 25#. I would recommend Mark Glassmaker to anyone who fishes the Kenai. Good luck, Bucky

  20. #20
    New member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    9

    Default

    http://www.guideofsteel.com/aboutus.htm

    The story is that he might not be the beloved guide of the river, but from what I can tell that might be because he is very successfull and somewhat cocky. He wears a giant S (uperman) cutoff shirt and catches lots of fish. Whats not to love. I've studied his river behavior and he almost never stops changing bait - which for you, my angling friend is a big bonus!

    Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •