Thread: Kodiak Deer Hunts

Default Kodiak Deer Hunts

I am looking for recommendations for deer hunts on and around Kodiak Island. Have people had much seccess on the on North Kodiak/Raspberry Island area or is time better spent heading to the south end of Kodiak Island?

north end aint' great right now..couple tough winters, i'd stick to the east and south sides, old harbor area, olga and all that stuff for now and lay off the north end, gonna be a tad slow up there.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

If you have a choice, I would consider the southwestern side. Particularly Halibut Bay or Gernee Bay. There are good deer numbers and the brush is very sparce. Zachar Bay and Larsen Bay have very good numbers, but the brush is a complete bi*ch to get through at times. It probably all depends on how much time you have, what kind of transportation you have, and the time of year.

heed words of wisdom that have "brush" in them...many a hunter has falled to an unsuccesfull hunt due to not listening to someone when they say, "ya its a little brush in the valley.."...translation, it was a nightmare, i couldn't see my feet or the sky. avoid brush where possible on kodiak.
    good advice from MMJ
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default Afognak Hunts

It's been a few years for me, but I've hunted Afognak Island around the Izhut and Seal Bay areas. You probably won't find any trophies compared to Kodiak, but it is easy going if you can get on the logging roads. I have heard in general though that the deer have had a couple harsh winters, so it may be slim picking. Don't know much about deer hunting on Kodiak, but you will probably run into more bushwacking. Hope this helps - good luck.

Default afognak

anyone heard how the deer/elk made out on afognak, this winter? anyone been up that way yet, this year?

South End from all I could gather. Seahawk will run you 1343.00 for OW and a 1500 Pound Load. goes down from there 1200lb and 800 lb. But not enough to make a huge dent in your hunt. Skiff rental if you so choose will set you back 85.00 a day. Remember to heed the advice of those who have gone before you. You can't see them you can't shoot them. good luck and have fun.