Thread: Home Made Motor Mounts for Rafts

Default Home Made Motor Mounts for Rafts

I am wanting to make a motor mount for my raft. I have heard of and seen a few people make some home made mounts for their rafts. I should note that I do not want to put on the attachments to the back of the rowing frame. That seems like too many attachments and too much of a hasle.

I have noted a few issues.
    1.) Motor shaft lenght
    2.) Building a framing around the stern.

Can you compensate for the stern kick by sitting on the back of the raft while you motor?

Has anyone made a home made mount for an Alaska Serise raft, the Kenai Drifter in particular?

Thanks

Well, if your able to source some 1/4 " thick 6061 T6 weldable aluminum
    and a welder then you could always fabricate one. Not always easy I know.
    Following is a motormount that I basically copied from NRS for a Top Cat
    frame. Also in the pic are some fabricated
    spreader bars for the lower rails. Also 6061 T6. Floor board is aluminum honeycomb
    (unusable aircraft surplus ) covered and sealed.
    Not sure if I helped you or not.

Default home made motor mount

Have seen one made from a NRS seat mount bolted to marine ply to build up transom thickness. This went on a cat frame, not a bucket boat.

The NRS mount was a plain alum. rectangle held on with 2 U bolts.

Motor mounts for a Kenai Drifter, or any round raft, are going to be completely different than one for a cataraft. They are hardly gong to be related at all, so the above advice will probably not help.

I just saw a 14" KD with a home made mount on the Copper last week. Unfortunately, I didn't look very close to how he had it attached, but his transom plate was quite a bit lower than the top of his raft tube. Jim King does sell mounts and mount attachment devices for his AK Series boat, so you might want to talk to him, or ask him if he can at least show you some pictures of previous mounts. 6th Ave Outfitters sells a similar boat, and they have mounted outboards to their as well.

The usual system consists of several glue on patches that have some mounting points, and the motor mount attaches to them. I'm thinking that this part might be possible to do this with some strategically placed D rings and cam straps. Then design a mount of galvanized pipe that latches or straps onto those patches, and finally an extension of the pipe that holds a plywood transom plate as low as possible. It shouldn't be that hard to do as long as you were designing the thing for a small (under 5hp) motor. Perhaps an Aire raft, with their lace in floors could make attachment easier for part of this.

Even with a small motor there is a lot of torque applied to the mount, so make it stronger than you think necessary. I'm also thinking that an all wood/plywood mount should be possible, with the sides of the mounting bracket cut to fit the curvature of the raft tube. Another thought (and I have been thinking of this for my own 14' SB) is to mount the motor on the front, rather than the back of the boat. I usually have a massive pile of gear in the back and operation would be difficult while laying on top of it.

Previous discussions in this forum about motors on KD rafts have had posters that said cavitation wasn't an issue in spite of the supposed geometry of shaft length to transom height.

....my father made me one out of an old BBQ grill...lol...... ugliest thing I have ever seen but held a 9.9 and pushed a 1000+lb load just dandy....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

If you put a motor on it, even just occasionally, be sure to register it with the DMV. They're handing out tickets for this. Also, regular 2 stroke motors are not allowed on the Kenai in July, and they will nail you on that one too. They don't care if it's only a 3hp motor either.

Anyone care to post pictures of their motor mounts for conventional rafts? I'd like to see a few.

Thanks for the replies. I have a few ideas floating around in my head about how to get a piping framework around the back of the boat.

Any pictures of mounts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Default Homemade Raft motor mount

I fabricated a simple motor mount for getting a 5 hp prop to attach to my frame on my 12' 6" raft.

With an extension handle I can run this on lakes or those long stretches of slow river with a head wind

I can get you a pic, email it to you?

basically it's a couple spars on 1x2 in Alum tubing running back from my seat in the rear of the raft to a couple pieces of sign post type 2x2in steel with some 1/2 in bolts seems to do the trick, adjust for depth of prop and test to avoid the prop hitting raft.

This way I can fly it in and head up stream or downstream faster etc with a couple gals of fuel.

Mark

Default motor mount..

I found this today. The motor mount is at the bottom of the below link. Take a look...

http://www.rowframe.com/raftframe.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

I made a motor mount for my Kenai drifter that connects to the frame. Works great, I will send pics.

Default Kenai drifter motor mount.

Here are a couple of pictures of the motor mount I use on my raft. works great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That motor mount looks great. What type of tubing did you use? The back board of the mount looks like decking material, is that right?

Did you do your own welding?

It was extra tubing that came with the frame. The board is decking material, kind of a messy glue job, but gorilla glue will do that. I had Auroa automotive weld the brace and Cash welding did the tubing.