Thread: Kenai boat dip early?

Default Kenai boat dip early?

Years past, I have had great luck working the river towards the end of July. This year, I will find mysef down the penensula this week, with the 13th - 14th available to fish. I've looked at the historic numbers (not encouraging). Has anyone fished early in the run with any success, or am I better off leaving the boat at home till my only other shot 27-31.

Hope this run does better than the rest of the state ('cept Bristol Bay...)

dc

Default wait

I would wait the numbers are so low, you would be lucky to get enough fish for lunch! The last four days of the month will be more productive even if the run is low.

historically you'd be right on the edge of when the run typically takes off

this year the numbers are lagging

I'd keep my eye on the counts and if they start to head to 20K a day I'd say you're good to go

30K fish a day entering the river make for "good" dipnetting from shore so from a boat you'd probably be ok with fewer fish

I had planned on going the 17th but now I'm making a backup plan for the 21st just in case things stay slow/late

Quote Originally Posted by AKCheese View Post
    historically you'd be right on the edge of when the run typically takes off

this year the numbers are lagging

I'd keep my eye on the counts and if they start to head to 20K a day I'd say you're good to go

30K fish a day entering the river make for "good" dipnetting from shore so from a boat you'd probably be ok with fewer fish

I had planned on going the 17th but now I'm making a backup plan for the 21st just in case things stay slow/late
    That's me too. I'm planning on hitting it on the 20th and 21st. I'm thinking of maybe going back down the week after if that weekend is to early.