Thread: DG342 Goat Information

Default DG342 Goat Information

Does anyone have any information regarding access to DG342 (Lost Lake) for goat hunting? Didn't know what access would be best: Exit Glacier Rd., Lost Lake, or Snug Harbor-Kenai Lake and was hoping someone w/ past hunting experience in the area would like to share some information. Also, if anyone had any suggestions on any handy gear for goat hunting, that would be great.

Default Lost Lake Trail

I have never hunted off a DG342 tag, but have some thoughts:

You can access high country via the Lost Lake Trail and work from there; while there are more direct routes up into goat country, the trail is--well just that, a trail--open and not too steep. You could call the guys in Moose Pass and see if they would fly you up to Lost Lake too. Depending on when you plan to hunt, a bushwhack up one of the creeks may be a option, but know there is a lot of brush/alders in that area. Getting up to high country is only step one, too.

Maybe someone with experience chasing goats in this particular area will have more thoughts on this, but I would think the the goats are probably in different areas during different portions on your permit window.

I seem to recall a few years back when there were still road-accessible goat registration hunts on the Kenai, Lost Lake would often open in Nov. I haven't looked at the AKDF&G site, but is this 'cause success is lower in the area? Or just because there are more permits?

never hunted that area
    gear-
    4 or 6 point crampons, i'm changing from 4 to 6 this year. worth their weigh in gold. (Barney's use to carry 4 point and i heard REI has 6 pt.) i ordered my 6 point from ems.com used 12 point once or twice but they are not as forgiving and shredded my rain pants leg and wool pants leg
    long handled mtn axe,(Barneys) use as walking stick and to stop slide if you fall.
    one treking stick- combo with axe work great
    good quality stiff boots- some nice ones out there- i wear koflach plastic boots , make a world of difference. (btw have extra new pair of size ten i would sell)
    i carry 175 feet of rope and nylon strap and some carbiners not to do technical climbing just as safety line if needed. i have 5 or 6mm climbing rope but other poly type cheaper rope would do for how i use it.

good quality pack- i use a barney's .. friend borrowed cheap pack and frame broke going in. limited what he dared to carry. i got to carry extra going out....we shot 3 goats in same day but i left $1500 gear on the mtn. ( rifle , northface tent and sleeping bags and pads) recovered them 2 months later in nov.
    goal this year is to get my first goat with my bow (before i turn 60) i have 4 hunts planned for this fall 2 weeks each month sept- dec
    i have probably hunted goats in excess of 20 times, my favorite animal to hunt. i learn new things every trip.

good luck
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER