Thread: Which of the three is best for halibut?

Default Which of the three is best for halibut?

Homer, Seward, or Whittier? I'm interested in nothing more than a meat run. Considering charter cost, length of usual boat ride, and size of average halibut caught, which area would you choose?

Default None of the above

Quote Originally Posted by Tom
    Homer, Seward, or Whittier? I'm interested in nothing more than a meat run. Considering charter cost, length of usual boat ride, and size of average halibut caught, which area would you choose?
    If a meat run is what it is all about, you could not do better than Valdez. Do an over nighter and get a winters worth of meat in twelve hours on the water. Cheaper as well. BIG FISH are the norm.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres
    If a meat run is what it is all about, you could not do better than Valdez. Do an over nighter and get a winters worth of meat in twelve hours on the water. Cheaper as well. BIG FISH are the norm.
    What an excellent idea! Can you recommend a charter located there?

Default Swifty's Alaskan Charters

I haven't fished with him, but he's done business with me with my electronic fishing lures. Bob Swift maintains a sizeable fleet in Valdez, and I have read interesting things about his results in several articles.

To see some salmon he slamed with the new lights go to www.electronicfishinglures.com and punch the FIELD TEST button and scroll down to the end.

Best of luck.

For me I prefer Homer. If you want chickens then you don't have to go out far. And you pick up a nice one out of a chicken hole from time to time. I have not had a bad trip this year going out of Homer. Yes the drive is alittle bit long but it's worth every penney. I see signs for half day charters for around $95. I just had two friends go out on one and they did real well. They caught halibut ranging form 20-35 pounds.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Honestly I think it is more dependant on which boat you go out on than where you go out of, within reason. Homer and Deep Creek seem to almost always have reports of folks limiting out, and from what I've heard, Deep Creek seems to get more of the bigger fish. Seems like Seward and Whittier have more reports of folks not limiting out or occasionally getting skunked. That said, I'd rather be on a good boat out of Whittier or Seward than a poor one out of homer/deep creek.

So far this year I've been out of Seward, I was the only guy on a boat of 18 that limited, and I threw the second butt back wanting a bigger one, as it was one of the earliest fish caught. We ended up with about a dozen butts between all of us.

I went down to Homer last Friday, we motored out in 8' seas, set anchor on a rocking 43' Delta, then anchor was pulled and we headed back before wetting a line as 11' seas were heading our way.

Seems this year we've had alot of days of folks getting blown out.

The Weather has been so weired this year. Spring took a long time to get here and when summer came it was cloudy for most of it. Seas on the other hand have been rougher then normal. I might be wrong but this year seem to have more blow out days then the past year.
    Have fingers crossed next year will have a better summer.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I've yet to see "typical" weather up here. I think this summer might be more like traditional "typical" We've been spoiled in years past with such mild summers, and winters. It definately feels like fall is here.

I will say I now don't regret not being able to launch my boat this year, and am hoping for better water next summer.

I can not belive snow is on the moutains in palmer area.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

I usually go out of Whittier and have been successful every year. Although there are plenty of people highly successful out of Seward, for some strange reason I have never been successful there. Don't have a clue, maybe the waking up on the wrong side of the bed. Homer and Deep Creek can get you a lot of chickens fast. We went ouot of Deep Creel two weeks ago and I had a fish on within 2 minutes of dropping the bait. Our biggest was about 45 pounds but the rest were 20-25 pounds. But balancing time, expense and results, of the three you mentioned, Whittier would be my choice and Riptide Charters (632-0360)would be my choice in boats. I can leave Anchorage at 6:30 and be back home that night vacuum packing the fish and having a beer.

Cool Whittier

Curious about Whittier!!! I've never fished out of there because I've been told the Halibut fishing isn't very good! , sounds like you have had good luck!

I don't know why anyone would say the halibut fishing wasn't any good. On a bear trip I dropped a bait over because it was raining and we were just drifting and glassing, caught a 25 pounder in about 15 minutes and we were not more that 50 yards from shore. the next week a buddy caught a 105 pounder in the same place. When I go out on the charter, we have always limited out with decent fish. Granted we have never caught a 100 pounder but we have caught a number of halibut in the 40-60 pound range. I'm going out this Saturday to try, iots a little late but schedules kept us from going earlier.