Thread: Jaegers, in flight

Default Jaegers, in flight

Here are some fun pictures.

Really nice shots Floyd! Would love a chance to photograph these birds. Well done.
    http://www.pbase.com/tull777

http://www.eddiefisherphoto.com/

"If you're too open-minded, your brains will fall out. ....."Tight Lines & Best Fishes"

Great shots and thanks for sharing. Congratulations. J.

Default True Confessions... :-)

Quote Originally Posted by OldRgr View Post
    Great shots and thanks for sharing. Congratulations. J.
    Thank you.

I'll have to admit though, getting photographs like that of jaegers is not exactly difficult! It's darned hard, normally, to get close. They nest and hunt on the flat tundra, and can see anything coming from a mile away. For that type of photography (a bird on the ground), it takes a really long lense.

But to get them flying, like those pictures, all it takes is waiting until early July, and then a regular short zoom is fine. I used 28-105mm for those images. I was out for a hike on the tundra, and got close to a jaeger nest. Those birds where flying 10 feet over my head, and doing it repeatedly! That makes it easy.

A friend and I were out looking for snowy owls, and didn't have any luck with that at all. Which may actually have been a good thing, as for some reason I haven't bothered to shoot pictures like that of jaegers for several years, but do have hundreds of owl pictures.