Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moose hunting packs

Default Moose hunting packs

Curious what people out there use/suggest for backpacks for moose hunting, where there is a distinct possibility of hiking out hundreds and hundreds of pounds of meat several miles. I have lots of backpacking experience with internal frame packs and can easily handle a heavy pack, but have never owned an external frame pack.

I would like to buy my pack from REI since you can't beat there return everything indefinitely policy, but the only one they carry is this:

http://www.rei.com/product/734285

Would that be adequate?

Thanks.

Default Moose pack

asrjb, if your looking for a pack to haul out moose, i would go with external frame, brand is up to you, I used a barneys hunter pack and carnivore frame to haul out 140 lb. hind quarters last year off the haul road because it was walk-in only. i have used an internal frame kelty before, and its not as comfortable when hauling heavy loads of meat, the external frame keeps the load off your body, and with the barneys you actually put the load on your hips rather than your back.

I second the barneys setup but it is a bunch more than $140. I would pony up at least another bill and get the Cabelas extreme AK. That is if you are going to use it with the bag to hunt from. If you just need a meat frame then contact barneys and get the Carnivore frame then just lash the meat too it and go! Also the cabelas frame can be purchased seperately for pretty cheap.
    Here is me testing my new Barneys frame with their Pinnacle bag. Rumor has it this pack will hold an entire quarter right in the bag! I don't know about that but it sure hauls a 4yo and a 6yo (a little more that 100lbs) with room to spare

Default Moose Pack

You may want to consider a "Bull-Pac". http://bullpacs.com/ I purchased one for myself and my wife for an upcoming drop camp, caribou hunt on the north slope. The frames are built out of square tubing, and they're built incredibly well. To date my wife and I have been hiking with the pacs carrying rocks in preparation for our hunt. I've been carrying just under 50 pounds and the wife has been carrying just over 30 pounds. Thus far neither of us had an issue with the pacs regarding soar or hot spots...they've been quite comfortable.

I've never used a Barney pack, which I'm sure a number of folks here will recommend, but I am quite sure that it can't be built any stronger than the bull-pac.

Enjoy the decision.

Default spend the money

and buy a Barney's pack. It is the ONLY way to go. I have one with two bags. I use the barneys bag on sheep hunts, but then switch bags for moose. I had a camp trail pack that I used to use and broke the frame when packing out a moose, so I just switch bags as I find that packing moose stinks up the bag much more than sheep hunting. The barneys set up is the absolute most comfortable pack you can buy.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFish View Post
    You may want to consider a "Bull-Pac". http://bullpacs.com/ I purchased one for myself and my wife for an upcoming drop camp, caribou hunt on the north slope. The frames are built out of square tubing, and they're built incredibly well. To date my wife and I have been hiking with the pacs carrying rocks in preparation for our hunt. I've been carrying just under 50 pounds and the wife has been carrying just over 30 pounds. Thus far neither of us had an issue with the pacs regarding soar or hot spots...they've been quite comfortable.

I've never used a Barney pack, which I'm sure a number of folks here will recommend, but I am quite sure that it can't be built any stronger than the bull-pac.

Enjoy the decision.
    Sounds like you two have a great training routine, Whitefish.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your upcoming hunt!

Frank

I am going to assume that you are not backpack hunting for moose, but rather considering a possible meat haul back to the raft, airstrip, ATV, etc. If that is the case, I would suggest you look a sturdier frame to do the hauling a just throw a daypack or dry bag on the frame when you are hunting.

Barney's are great, and Cabelas would likely get the job done. Here are a few other options that you may want to consider:

Kelty Cache Hauler which was available at the Anchorage REI last I checked for a reasonable price. The best? No. Would it haul meat? I would sure think so.

Granite Gear Status Flatbed you may be able to snag one off of eBay for a good price. These are designed to haul.

All in all, I would recommend against the Kelty you suggested and go with something beefier.

Bryan

Default Cabela's Guide Model

I'm from the lower 48, and planning a moose/caribou float hunt for 2010, and have started aquiring gear. Its hard to justify purchasing the best gear when you don't know how many times you will really need it. I've been able to purchase a new Cabela's Guide model pack and frame for 1/2 price ($95), including shipping, on EBAY. It would be great to have a Barney's pack, but for the hunter coming for a once in a life time hunt, the $'s spent on one could get 2 of another make. If you plan far enough ahead of time I suggest whatching the EBAY auctions. I've purchased other gear such as cold weather sleeping bags (no its not Wiggy's), jet boil stove, and other small items for fraction of the cost. All this would be mute for me if I was lucky enough to be a resident of AK. Then I would have the best gear possible because I know it would get used to the extreme.

I think someone already mentioned it but one way to decrease the $$ is to buy just the barney frame/straps and put your own bag on it. I have a barney frame with an old Camp Trails pack bag that has hauled like 12 moose and its still going strong (smells a little though ). Actually, I didnt really notice too much difference between the barney frame and the camp trails frame. Its the shoulder and waist straps that make all the difference IMO....

Default "moose" meat hauling pack

Just get a Barney's and be done with it. If you knock down a moose and have several miles to haul the meat and your pack craps out you will have a new appreciation of the term "false economy". If you find you no longer have any need for your pack after your sortie to Alaska I don't think you will have a problem selling it on the "swap and sell" section of this forum.

I bought a Bull Pac super strong, lightweight but not nearly as comfortable as the Barneys frame I got after I sent the Bull Pac back. I am running a light weight dry bag with the frame for float hunting. If you can find a Kelty 50 annivesary on ebay snatch that up I have fit a moose quarter in mine, and it sure was more comfortable than the sealine 115 drybag I used on my last trip out.

amen to get the barney and sell it when your done.
    yes a hind quarter will fit in the pinnicle bag, i've had loads of over 200lbs in my barney pack and i've had packers with me with camp trails/cabela's style stuff and they'd have paid the extra couple hundred bucks to wear what i was wearing...once in a lifetime hunt...might as well almost "enjoy" the packing rather than hurting yourself so bad you never want to do it again.
    buy one, use it, sell it almost new on the swap and sell for 10 bucks less than retail price...it'll sell.
    there is night and there is day...there is barneys and there is everything else everyone will mention...17 hunts a year and thousands of pounds later i'm still buying barney packs.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default convinced

Okay, I'm convinced, anyone want to buy a Cabela's Guide Pack?

Default cableas

Everyone recommends the Barneys which I haven't tried but have used the Cabelas and it worked great!

never using a barneys....a cabela's will feel great. Dairy Queen burgers are great...till you eat at Carls Junior....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

My Cabelas pack works just fine, Never had a problem between Moose, Goat and a bunch of Elk.

md

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    never using a barneys....a cabela's will feel great. Dairy Queen burgers are great...till you eat at Carls Junior....
    Jake, PLEASE don't loan me your Barney's frame!!! I can't afford it right now!!! I ended up with my only ever new truck that way 20 yrs ago
    But you can take me to CJ's if you get down Kenai way. Then I'll take you to DQ for ice cream

I was looking at their suspension system in Barney's the other day & think I might upgrade my Cabela's Alaskan II with it when mine starts giving me problems, then switch out frame & bag a couple years apart to keep it affordable. I've always been comfortable with my Cabela's, but there must be something to the Barney's.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Barney's Pack

I have been using a Barney's pack for 7 years now and haven't broke it yet. I haul meat evey year and it still keeps hanging in there.
    Good luck on your hunt

Make sure you ask for some ammo and a hunting license after you ask for a moose meat hauling pack at REI. I've been using the Camp Trails freighter frame and moose bag for 15 years. Is it the best, no. Does it work, ya.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    I've got Barney straps and belt on a Gander mountian pack it was like getting a new pack and a way better one at that. Love the analogy.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast