Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Excited About This Fall's Hunt? Do Tell

Default Excited About This Fall's Hunt? Do Tell

OK, only two months until moose season (for non-res), and I am psyched! Just made my reservation for one night at Young's Motel in Tok, flight arrangements with 40 Mile Air are all set, and looking forward to a great dinner and breakfast at Fast Eddies. Not long to wait now! And the meat from my 06 moose is gone, time to get more backstrap, stew meat, and polish sausage.

I can't wait!! What about you guys and gals...getting psyched for this year's Alaska hunts? Tell us about it!

I'm waiting on that bison tag....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Between you, Brian, and Curt, I hope at least ONE of you gets a tag, so the other two can help pack.

Oh no! I'll have hubby pack. I'd hate to have to SHARE it with anyone! lol
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    Between you, Brian, and Curt, I hope at least ONE of you gets a tag, so the other two can help pack.
    I'll get the tag, nuff said!

Really looking forward to that goat hunt, killing me to wait til october! But until the next permits come out this week I can't plan anything else for august or september, wait, wait, wait.......

I have a DCUA sheep permit, going in early. Looking forwad to that in a big way ! Also looking forward to a bison permit . Maybe a kenai mountain caribou permit, or ... is it July 15 yet .

Quote Originally Posted by mdhunter View Post
    OK, only two months until moose season (for non-res), and I am psyched! Just made my reservation for one night at Young's Motel in Tok, flight arrangements with 40 Mile Air are all set, and looking forward to a great dinner and breakfast at Fast Eddies. Not long to wait now! And the meat from my 06 moose is gone, time to get more backstrap, stew meat, and polish sausage.

I can't wait!! What about you guys and gals...getting psyched for this year's Alaska hunts? Tell us about it!
    New .300 wm $500, new winch $300, using my stimulus check $priceless.

August 31 - September 21 are my favorite days.
    Friends, open country, moose blood = Nothing better.

Waiting for Friday to see what I am doing for moose and bou but I have the beginning of september nailed down with 10 days solo backpacking the Chugach looking for 360*s of horn

kill them all and let the butcher sort them out!
    Semper Fi!

My only definite plan is my October archery sheep hunt. The rest depends both on if I draw any tags and what time realistically looks like between being a new dad, teaching a new class that I'm mostly unfamiliar with, and doing some renovations on a couple of buildings. My maybes include a goat registration hunt, an early season archery moose hunt for a few days in 14A, going out for moose on the weekends within a short drive of home, and maybe a long weekend looking for caribou and bear with my dad in 13 (assuming that he has a Tier II tag). I'm also hoping to take a friend out to get a berry-fed black bear in Unit 7 (or two, if we're so lucky) and accompanying a couple of different friends afield if they're lucky enough to draw anything. I'm hoping to get out at least every other weekend, if not every weekend in September. We'll see, though...my little guy is a lot of fun and sometimes mom needs rest as well.

Oh, and I need to take my nephew down to the Kenai Peninsula to go hare hunting (and dolly fishing) in mid October.

Oh, and I'm hoping to help jmg butcher a moose....if he'll have me.

The only thing I know that is planned is my Whitter Blacktail hunt. Other then that I will know more (hopefully) Friday if permits come out.
    If I don't get drawn, I will head to the haul rd.

I applied for

Delta Bison
    Delts Cow hunt
    Haul rd grizzly
    Ft. Moose
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Talking Sheep hunt first

My son and I finally drew Delta sheep. Late hunt so we get to take the wheelers in. After we get the 2 sheep I will have to see. As with everyone else I to am getting a Bison tag. Must be putting out allot more this year. I hope to also be looking for a cow moose in October. That is the best meat I have ever had off those cows, it will even cook up on the grill without turning to boot leather. Don't know who all pays much attention to this hunt but I talked to the biologist and he did his counts after the cow season last fall and counted just as many moose as the year before. Goes to show all the haters out there it isn't hurting a thing. We sure don't want our moose herd here to crash. We need to thin them out a little. It is a good thing.

Looking forward to our sheep hunt in August but havn't set anything else in stone yet until the draw results come out. I'm hoping to be bow hunting moose close to home or on the Dalton, if not then i'll have to go to plan B.

Default Hunts

Those hunts all look great and I'm sure when September gets here I'll be irritated because I'm not coming to Alaska this fall I guess I will have to wait until May to go after black bear.

In the meantime, I'll drown my sorrows in the usual fall hunts - deer & antelope in WY, deer in NY and PA, and turkeys, ducks, & geese around home in NY. Now that I look at it, I guess I'm pretty lucky. Still I'll miss Alaska.

So good luck to all those who are hunting in Alaska this fall. Please leave something for me for next year

Default hunts

Sheep in Aug (taking friend and then another trip with the wife) Then Aug./Sept sheep for myself(Delta late hunt), moose/grizz mid September or late November. Caribou in Nov. Possible goat/deer in October/November. Always hoping for bison! Will take kids hunting for moose in Nov.

Default Sheep then Goat

Scheduled for an August 14A Sheep Hunt. Last week I flew over the area to do some scouting, familiarize myself with the area/terrain and to get that final motivation to up my fitness routine. Plan worked--fully pumped now to buy those last few items of gear and keep working out to be ready for the mountains.

After the sheep hunt I have a Kenai Peninsula goat hunt to head out on as well--looking forward to that too--altho, if I am lucky enough to draw a fall Kodiak bear or a Delta bison permit I might need to cut the goat hunt to save up some money and time off from work.

Either way I am super-excited about the upcoming season--wish all of you the best of luck on your fall hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    August 31 - September 21 are my favorite days.
    Friends, open country, moose blood = Nothing better.
    Man, I am SO with you on that! Nothing like being in Alaska in the fall, on the ridgetops where the trees give way to the taiga, looking for those canoe paddles sticking out of the brush!

Default Moose Backstrap...

Quote Originally Posted by maynard-sct View Post
    My son and I finally drew Delta sheep. Late hunt so we get to take the wheelers in. After we get the 2 sheep I will have to see. As with everyone else I to am getting a Bison tag. Must be putting out allot more this year. I hope to also be looking for a cow moose in October. That is the best meat I have ever had off those cows, it will even cook up on the grill without turning to boot leather. Don't know who all pays much attention to this hunt but I talked to the biologist and he did his counts after the cow season last fall and counted just as many moose as the year before. Goes to show all the haters out there it isn't hurting a thing. We sure don't want our moose herd here to crash. We need to thin them out a little. It is a good thing.
    Dude - if your bull moose is cooking tough, try this out - my backstrap comes from the processor cut in steaks about 1 - 1.5 inches thick; I slice that in half again, so I have strips about 1/2 inch thick. I preheat a pan, toss in some butter to grease the pan, and then put the steaks in. As soon as they're LIGHT brown on one side, I turn them over; when they're light brown on that side, they're done! Only takes about 2-3 minutes to cook, and YUMMY they're good!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast