Thread: Resurrection Bay trip this Fri/Sat! Few questions...

Arrow Resurrection Bay trip this Fri/Sat! Few questions...

Hi all. I am taking my boat out of Seward for the first time this Friday, and plan on fishing Resurrection Bay only as far south as Fox Island or so. A buddy of mine and I are hoping to hook up with some silvers, rock fish, and even possibly a small halibut or two. Due to the fact that we have never fished these waters before, we have been studying the charts over and over again looking for some potential spots to hit up. Here's a couple of questions I have that I hope some of you guys can help out with:

1. What's the best bet on catching salmon in the bay? Trolling, jigging, bait?

2. Would there actually be any halibut in this area this time of year? If so, would we be better of on the rocky drop-offs near shoreline or out in the deeper flats?

3. Would it be worth dropping a shrimp pot in this area? If so, what kind of structure/depth should I be looking for on the chart? Here's a link to the chart. http://sailvector.com/2594/Cape-Resu...to-Two-Arm-Bay

4. How are the boat ramps and how much do they charge? Are they accessible during low tides?

I appreciate you all taking the time to read/respond to my questions. Thanks in advance!

-LarsenVega

Quote Originally Posted by Larsenvega View Post
    Hi all. I am taking my boat out of Seward for the first time this Friday, and plan on fishing Resurrection Bay only as far south as Fox Island or so. A buddy of mine and I are hoping to hook up with some silvers, rock fish, and even possibly a small halibut or two. Due to the fact that we have never fished these waters before, we have been studying the charts over and over again looking for some potential spots to hit up. Here's a couple of questions I have that I hope some of you guys can help out with:

1. What's the best bet on catching salmon in the bay? Trolling, jigging, bait?

2. Would there actually be any halibut in this area this time of year? If so, would we be better of on the rocky drop-offs near shoreline or out in the deeper flats?

3. Would it be worth dropping a shrimp pot in this area? If so, what kind of structure/depth should I be looking for on the chart? Here's a link to the chart. http://sailvector.com/2594/Cape-Resu...to-Two-Arm-Bay

4. How are the boat ramps and how much do they charge? Are they accessible during low tides?

I appreciate you all taking the time to read/respond to my questions. Thanks in advance!

-LarsenVega
    In order:

1.) all of those you mentioned work - as does mooching. I wouldn't consider fishing without bait for salmon as it is normally very effective.

2.) Halibut is a yes and they like constricted areas with bait concentrations where they can feed during the tides. The best bets are at the edges of the bay. It is more than likely that if you find some bait fish down low you will find some halibut in the area.

3.) Most folks have been very quiet in regards to their shrimping west of the bay. Some I personally know have done ok (nothing to write home about) near the Glaciers in Aialik (pardon the spelling) Bay.

4.) The main boat ramp is 10 bucks and parking is also 10 bucks. Generally, with the opening of the Baseball Field Lot, and the new lot, there is ample parking. As far as the tides, you can just about launch any time that you want as Seward has excellent docks and ramps.