Thread: Aniak river this August

Default Aniak river this August

I'm doing a self-guided trip down the Aniak the last two weeks of August. Hoping to hit the Silvers, but will be fishing for Rainbows and Char as well. Anyone out there fished it that time of year and have any suggestions on fly selection. Its time to start tying! Thanks

Egg imitations. A dead-drifted bead is almost boring as it is so effective on both the dollys and bows. Some olive or black big streamers swung on a sinktip work better to focus on the rainbows. Flesh flies for sure too, I had pretty good luck on light tan/orange but it did not seem to matter to much to "match the hatch" with the flesh.

Watch out for bears, it is very thick with them, and can be unsettling trying to sleep. I had an electric fence, and that gave me notice on a few poking around the tent and plane. Had lots of encounters as the spawn stench is pretty heavy and the big boys are there to feed.

Thanks for the heads-up on the bears. We'll be taking a fence as well as standard spray and firearm. We've used the fence before in bear country and definitely slept better with it. I think I'm covered fairly well with the patterns you mentioned---thanks. Any advice on patterns for the silvers? I've got Flash flies, bunny leaches, ES leaches, Clausers and other assorted big leach-like patterns. What time of the year were you there?

You should be covered for silvers too with that fly list.

I usually get out there for a few days each year sometime between the 1st and 3rd week of August. The water level and clarity can vary substantially with rain, so I usually work it around what the weather has been doing.

Default flies..

I have not been on the Aniak. Float NW rivers mostly and went on the Goodnews in SW last Aug/Sept. Spent about two years in Nome and Kotz. Caught lots of dollies and silvers.

For dollies, I have done best with purple esl with pink (or orange) head, battle creek special, polar shrimp, olive sculpins, and bead head olive woolly bugger (also my favorite grayling fly). All in size #2. Almost always on a SA wet tip line with 4 ft leader. Catch my biggest dollies right on the bottom of the holes. Belly on the bottom. Get the flies deep. I prefer to let the line get it down and use a short leader instead of using heavily weighted flies. Better action I feel. But at any rate, get the fly down. If lots of wood in the water, you may want to take a spare sink tip line. The SA wet tip has a 14 ft sink tip and is perfect in my opinion. If you find some slower current, try a waller walker on a WF line. I got those at Hills too. Skate it across the surface with the current.

For silvers, same esl with pink head, popsicle, and pink maruader (bought from Hills Discount Flies website). Great flies on that site if you have not seen it. In my experience, the silvers are much more active am/pm/overcast days. If you have bluebird skies, be sure to have some smaller offerings. On the Goodnews, all the pink gaudy stuff worked poorly on some days. It was olive esl with pink heads and bead head woolly buggers that caught them during those times. Lessons learned. Have fun and take fresh batteries for the fence
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.